Is ASL Limiting?

brotheryellow

Reaction score
I read an article and was wondering why people are surprised that Deaf people think sign language gives us an advantage over hearing? So i wrote about it :roll:

I don't understand. What exactly is audist about the article? It's about deaf professionals creating scientific signs from spoken language. The fact that the teacher was surprised is not audism. And, the signs they are creating are not coming from symbols but, in fact, spoken language.

When it comes to the point that deaf scientists are creating scientific vernacular and hearing people are rejecting it, that would be audism. I don't see that here.

Wow... I really I not going to support a blog by some guy who suddenly decided to try to be Deaf to get people to donate money to him.

It's like the new equivalent of those bums trying to sell ASL cards to people on the street.

The ASL-STEM program is awesome. It's crowd-sourcing scientific terms from Deaf science professionals and students and turning them into uniform ASL signs specifically for those words. Every language (spoken or signed) goes through this. New scientific and/or modern concepts need words to describe them and there are basically two options. Either use "loan words" (for ASL that means fingerspelling the English word) or create new words/signs that embody the new idea.

Some languages have no problem just taking the new words nearly straight from the source. Japanese did this with boyfriend/girlfriend and now use boyfriendo/girlfriendo. While other languages such as French prefer to construct new French words from scratch.

Frankly I'm glad ASL now has signs for the planets (and other scientific terms) and fingerspelling isn't needed. It's proof ASL is adaptive and can join the other languages as science progresses into the 21st century. And yes, ASL-STEM signs CAN give Deaf students an advantage because the visual nature of ASL allows some things that are better *shown* to be communicated more effectively than in English.

Wow... I really I not going to support a blog by some guy who suddenly decided to try to be Deaf to get people to donate money to him.

It's like the new equivalent of those bums trying to sell ASL cards to people on the street.

'becasue' they can't spell very good , Look how they spelled because . I know I can't spell but at least I use spell check to help me.

Agreed! When I was a young child, I often saw deaf/hard of hearing adults coming up to strangers on the streets or even in restaurants with those ASL cards. It was awkward, especially if I was with my family having meals.

I do not intend any offense. Just saying that my parents taught me that I should NEVER use my deafness as an excuse for not being a productive member of society, not even to ask for money/donations.

With that being said, the blogger should get a honest job and actually earn something himself. It is enough that the blogger may already have SSI/SSDI. Two words about this man, if I may guess: social loafer.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

Agreed! When I was a young child, I often saw deaf/hard of hearing adults coming up to strangers on the streets or even in restaurants with those ASL cards.

Just curious, not trying to hijack the thread. What are ASL cards?

Cards showing handshapes of fingerspelled alphabet.

Often with a sewing kit attached.

It's a form of begging/

Not always but often. I have one that has the alphabet on one side and the other side is the business card of a gal that was with an interpreter with a vocational services agency. I do not know if she is still working for them. Another one I have is from ITAC an Illinois Government Agency that handles distribution of things like TTYs and it also shows the 711 number for reaching the state relay service.

Donate Money Because I Am Deaf? No.

I AM Deaf. Im not trying. Did you even read the post? You attack me for no reason and you dont know me. I am fighting for the cause and you just want to discredit me? Specifically what is your problem with me? you are a troll:mad:

How do you make your money? I put donate button on my blog before I even started posting about Deafhood, which i just recently discovered few years ago because i am mainstreamed oral with hearing aids and had no deaf peers or mentors and no sign language. My life has been a struggle. I come on here for support and to share. I dont understand your attitude. Hearing people dont accept me, and now I am attacked by fellow Deaf? Why?

You have no idea

Agreed! When I was a young child, I often saw deaf/hard of hearing adults coming up to strangers on the streets or even in restaurants with those ASL cards. It was awkward, especially if I was with my family having meals.

I do not intend any offense. Just saying that my parents taught me that I should NEVER use my deafness as an excuse for not being a productive member of society, not even to ask for money/donations.

With that being said, the blogger should get a honest job and actually earn something himself. It is enough that the blogger may already have SSI/SSDI. Two words about this man, if I may guess: social loafer.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

I do have honest job. I dont get SSI/SSDI. I also make music so maybe i am a social loafer. you have a problem with that? by the way, your parents attitude about money is wrong. Always ask for money, especially when you contribute something to society.. do you work for free?:hmm:

I AM Deaf. Im not trying. Did you even read the post? You attack me for no reason and you dont know me. I am fighting for the cause and you just want to discredit me? Specifically what is your problem with me? you are a troll:mad:

How do you make your money? I put donate button on my blog before I even started posting about Deafhood, which i just recently discovered few years ago because i am mainstreamed oral with hearing aids and had no deaf peers or mentors and no sign language. My life has been a struggle. I come on here for support and to share. I dont understand your attitude. Hearing people dont accept me, and now I am attacked by fellow Deaf? Why?

Of course I read it. You just make so many ridiculous and untrue statements that I get annoyed all over again every time I read anything you write.

I am retired, but I did run a business and worked for the money. :lol:

Of course I read it. You just make so many ridiculous and untrue statements that I get annoyed all over again every time I read anything you write.

I am retired, but I did run a business and worked for the money. :lol:

ok.. i want to improve so if you are willing to offer constructive criticism as to the specific "ridiculous and untrue statements" instead of an unfounded generalization, i would like to read what you have to say. that is, if you really care about the Deaf Cause.. then please, let us carry this to a place of solution instead of you making ignorant judgments against me and forcing me to waste time defending your untruths. please:|

Not always but often. I have one that has the alphabet on one side and the other side is the business card of a gal that was with an interpreter with a vocational services agency. I do not know if she is still working for them. Another one I have is from ITAC an Illinois Government Agency that handles distribution of things like TTYs and it also shows the 711 number for reaching the state relay service.

What Botts was referring to is when deaf people go up to businesses and strangers on the streets begging for a dollar for these cards. It has gone on for years. They aren't sold as a means of educating others of the alphabet or to be helpful, but to make money off the streets. You may not see this type of behavior where you live. Panhandling.

Try the opposing perspective. Is oralism limiting?

Right after the Milan conference in 1880 we burst with many new discoveries. Had ASL been allowed to be used during that time when we were not allowed to sign we would have signs for these concepts now. It seems that we are playing catch up currently.

Back