Is Anyone Presently Studying ASL online at LifePrint.com?

MonicaCane

Reaction score
Is Anyone Presently Studying ASL online at Lifeprint.com with Dr. Bill Vicars?

Lifeprint.com is where I am learning ASL and I am on lesson 10. I would like to connect with other online Lifeprint.com students to see how you like the course and discuss the lessons.

Have a great day:lol:
Monica

I use it...it's one of the most credible sites I've found, and the only one I really trust. I'll use aslpro/signing savvy to look up words sometimes...but I don't like them as much at all.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

For online dictionaries, aslpro.com is head and tails above the others in terms of both content and accuracy.

For online dictionaries, aslpro.com is head and tails above the others in terms of both content and accuracy.

But, ASLpro does not have lessons that I can see.

I am using lifeprint on the advice of 3 different ASL teachers here locally (South Florida). Seems most of the signs match what Floridians use and ASLpro has signs that are not regional to Florida.

That's why I said dictionaries, not "online instruction".

Honestly though, the only real way to learn ASL is in person with a native or near native signer.

^^That. ive tried learning using books and using webcams and such, but being face to face with someone, you will learn so much more and faster

Thanks for the feedback. I think Lifeprint is great! And I definetly agree, face to face conversation will help speed up understanding of the language.

I use lifeprint . I love the fingerspelling quizzes. I also use aslpro,signsavy and YouTube.

Yeah, being around actual Deaf people is powerful. I used to think I could learn it all by myself :giggle: ..... but once I started being around Deaf people and interpreters, my signing skill went up ten fold.

It's the best one I've found so far and I love it so far I just started yesterday and today I started on lesson one :) woot for making it to lesson ten! I hope I can get there

I only know one deaf person and I've only met him once, I memorized the alphabet when I was little, but I was so nervous I could barely spell my name ^x^ Lifeprint though has been great so far and I've just absorbed absolutely everything I love it! ^-^ How hard do you think it would be to communicate if you had to fingerspell EVERYTHING and there were no other signs? eek! Keep me posted on how you progress through the lessons :D

It's the best one I've found so far and I love it so far I just started yesterday and today I started on lesson one :) woot for making it to lesson ten! I hope I can get there

I only know one deaf person and I've only met him once, I memorized the alphabet when I was little, but I was so nervous I could barely spell my name ^x^ Lifeprint though has been great so far and I've just absorbed absolutely everything I love it! ^-^ How hard do you think it would be to communicate if you had to fingerspell EVERYTHING and there were no other signs? eek! Keep me posted on how you progress through the lessons :D

Rochester method.

I think it would be hard for me to rely solely on fingerspelling, kudos to those who can :D maybe one day I'll be that good, I hope to become fluent in ASL :D

I've been using lifeprint too and I think it's great. It's really helped me get started with learning to sign. I started with their list of "First 100 signs" and I'm about to start on the actual lessons now. I also use ASLpro when I need to look up something specific or if I need a video for a word that doesn't have a video on lifeprint. So far I've learned about 130 signs. =)

I couldn't imagine having to fingerspell every single word but since I always need to find away to communicate if that was my only options, I would be a fingerspellin bee : )

I just checked out fingerseek on Lifeprint (Under the Fingerspelling section) this weekend. I printed first one up and completed it... It's like a Wordsearch but with Fingerspelling letters instead.
IT'S Amazing....

WOW! That's great! I haven't tried ASLpro yet. I have to check it out...

Meanwhile, I bought a book recently called "A Loss for Words" by Lou Ann Walker.
It is her memoirs of growing up as a hearing person with deaf parents.
Her storie really helps you understand that good and bad of hearing as well as being deaf...

Just an FYI - it's extremely rare to find anyone at all who does the rochester method (fingerspelling everything) - in fact it's likely safe to say no one actaully uses it (at least for daily communications).

There really isn't any need whatsoever for that amount of fingerspelling - it was an 'educational method' that came and went in the blink of an eye and for good reason.

I use life print and like it alot.
And sometimes I use startasl.com but I feel like she does it for money, not because she enjoys asl.

I learned all my sign from Deaf/HoH people and one class, but I went over to lifeprint and did the first 10 lessons yesterday and did learn a few new signs. It's really well done. I'm going to have my husband do them too so he can try to keep up with me :)

I signed up for and started on lifeprint's new website named "clearasl.com".
It's supposed to be the same ASL lessons but in the Japanese language.
I think the content was good, but there was too much content in one chapter.
I'm not sure how to suggest to change that:
because it is an online lecture, it's not very efficient to lecture from beginning to end.
Perhaps what we can do instead is to only have the intro in one slide series, and then the vocab in another slide series, and then a few story examples in another set of slides.
It is very overwhelming to have to flip through 20-30 slides, and for every slide, there was too much content displayed (+20 vocab words? Too much! It should be 5 at most.)

I guess most of it is poor powerpoint planning.
Although many people are tempted to write everything into a powerpoint to the point where the powerpoint is the presentation and you are just a reader, with powerpoint slides you want to present the content in an interesting manner and in reasonably sized chunks (5 facts or less, 3 is ideal) so that each slide is exactly one set of ideas. It is then the Presenter's role to explain how this all makes sense, or to use the slides as a prop.

It requires a kind of structure that's very different from a classroom where you can take over the student for 45 minutes.
I wonder if this is what is going on...

As for signs, I look through the ABC textbook first, and then lifeprint, and then signsavvy, only because this is the order in which I encountered these.
I wanted to make sure I can keep track of which signs I learned from where; in case signs from the west coast (lifeprint) are not relevant to east coast signing. But until I know the regional sign, I'd at least have a consistent west coast sign to use at home.

Back