IP-Relay and MyIpRelay to be OUTSOURCED

Opertot

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone who uses either ip-relay.com or AIM MyIpRelay;
Stellar Nordia/Go America which have recently acquired the service are going to be outsourcing the entire ip relay system to the Philippines.

While you may not think this is a bad thing, in my personal experience as a relay operator for 2+ years I think it is.
Think about it, growing up in America you get used to accents and slang, when you're in another country and you learn English as a second language that goes right out of the window.

Now the GOOD news is that Stellar Nordia/Go America has implimented a system to block all of the west african scam calls coming through the system.. and I AM HAPPY for that, very happy.... the problem is that those calls made up a big chunk of our call volume. So naturally they have to let go of a chunk of operators.
The problem lies in the fact that not only are they letting some of us go, but they're outsourcing IP relay and killing ANOTHER huge chunk of jobs for operators HERE in America.
The 2 centers here in US are 1 in Riverbank CA and Memphis TN, Riverbank employs about 700 operators, of which 500 are being let go. Memphis employs about 250 operators, of which 200 are being let go.
And how are they choosing who goes and who stays? Seniority. Not quality!

That is a lot of people, and a lot of jobs.

I applaud Stellar Nordia/Go Americas effort in suppressing fraud, I am appalled by the decision to outsourse.

Editing to add a few webpage addresses for news sources on this issue:

The Modesto Bee | Outsourcing faulted in call center layoffs
and
The Modesto Bee | Riverbank call center for deaf to lose jobs

Last edited:
Another reason for me to stay away from i711 (no offense anyone..)

I've always assumed that the relay operators in Modesto and Memphis were unionised.

Another reason for me to stay away from i711 (no offense anyone..)

I've always assumed that the relay operators in Modesto and Memphis were unionised.

i711? I thought they were a completely different company and not related with myiprelay or ip-relay

Anyway this is sad news and it would be hard for me to stay away from myiprelay because they have given me a personal phone number which I give to hearing people that can call to me using thier relay without needing to explain hearing people what is relay and tell them the steps of telling relay to dial my own number next etc ..

myiprelay have made it easier for me to recieve incoming calls from hearing people so as much I would like to see the job to stay in USA and not to be outsources but I just can't be without this service either.

I know it a long shot but I do hope they would reconsider this decision and keep the jobs in USA.

TechBill, IP-Relay/MyIPRelay by MCI/Verizon was recently bought out by GoAmerica/i711.

I personally like the personal numbers offered by IP-Relay, not the toll-free one by i711.

TechBill, IP-Relay/MyIPRelay by MCI/Verizon was recently bought out by GoAmerica/i711.

I personally like the personal numbers offered by IP-Relay, not the toll-free one by i711.

Oh I didn't know that!

Thanks for explaining :ty:

im concerned about indentify security because they're moving them overseas and there could be operators who are theft of indentifies.

im concerned about indentify security because they're moving them overseas and there could be operators who are theft of indentifies.

That an excellent point!

And what about code of ethics? Are they bound by it too? our privacy since it not USA and they are not held liable by our laws?

This may be off topic but speaking of My Ip Relay.. I got a email from ip-relay@goamerica.com with this message;

Just add My IP-Relay to your AIM Buddy List!

Make and receive IP-Relay.com relay calls using AOL Instant Messenger today!
Get it, Use it, Love it, Can't forget it!

Add it to your buddy list today!
http://www.ip-relay.com/myiprelay.html

This message has been sent from:
Hands On Video Relay Service
595 Menlo Drive, Rocklin CA, 95765
www.hovrs.com

To remove yourself from future emails from Hands On click to unsubscribe.

============

I am like huh? HOVRS sending this out to me to add My Ip Relay. :confused:

I do recall that GoAmerica and HOVRS was to be merged but they backed out of it 2 years ago...

so since I got the email and decided to check out goamerica website and saw that they did finally merged...

GoAmerica Communications

and GoAmerica now provide "white label solutions" for AT&T and Sprint!

Video Relay Services (“VRS”) – Using VRS, a deaf caller begins a call by communicating directly with a sign language interpreter over a live video connection, either on a webcam-equipped PC or a set-top videophone; the interpreter places the call on the deaf person's behalf, and translates the caller's sign language into audible speech for the hearing person, and back into sign language for the deaf caller. The Company provides versions of this service primarily under the Hands On Video Relay Services (“HOVRS”) and i711 brands. In addition, the Company offers a white label solution by providing the infrastructure and interpreting services for video relay services offered by Sprint and AT&T.

I wish we could protest them outsourcing the jobs. I really think that the quality might go down, since most Filipinos aren't native English speakers. Even for those who are, the complexities of the language aren't gonna be the same. Brits and Americans have enough plms communicating.
Are we gonna have a bunch of relay msgs reading like Engrish? (the messed up English that you sometimes see abroad)
At least the scam calls will be no more. YAHOO!!!!!

I like ip-relay, it's probably only I able to make connect thry terminal program thru telnet. It's make much quick communication for me. It's nearly flawless I ever had. Use AIM is SUCKS!

I wish we could protest them outsourcing the jobs. I really think that the quality might go down, since most Filipinos aren't native English speakers. Even for those who are, the complexities of the language aren't gonna be the same. Brits and Americans have enough plms communicating.
Are we gonna have a bunch of relay msgs reading like Engrish? (the messed up English that you sometimes see abroad)
At least the scam calls will be no more. YAHOO!!!!!

Have you seen both of this blog entries?
DeafDC Blog » GoAmerica Outsourcing Relay Call Center to the Philippines

DeafDC Blog » Update on GoAmerica Outsourcing to the Philippines

Ugh

Yet another "happy friendly" customer relations load of bullcrap.
They are only telling you what you want to hear, and while it is true that MCI/Verizon had opened a center in the Phillipines about a YEAR or so ago, it was a small staff. I guess they were testing the waters.

Anyway, keep in mind this is AMERICANS losing their jobs to OUTSOURCING.
You realize how hard it is to find a job? Why? BECAUSE of OUTSOURCING.

What makes it "cheap" for you makes it hard for us to live!

Back