Interview For my ASL Class- Please Help!

SarahTillman22

Reaction score
Hi all! I need to interview someone who is Deaf for an assignment in my ASL class. Your help is greatly appreciated! If any of these questions are not okay to ask or are asked incorrectly, please let me know so I don’t make the same mistake again! The questions are:

• What is your favorite aspect about Deaf Culture?
  • How did you become Deaf?
  • Is your family hearing or Deaf? If they are hearing, do they know sign language?
  • What does the Deaf community mean to you?
  • Have you ever thought about getting a cochlear implant? Why or why not?
  • If your child came to you and asked to get a cochlear implant would you be okay with them doing so?
  • If you are comfortable doing so, can you explain to me a time when you experience audism?
  • Did you go to a Deaf school at any point in your life?
  • What kind of teaching methods did you grow up with? (ASL/English bilingual or monolingual)
  • Did you go to speech therapy and if you did was it your choice to go?
  • With everything going on with police brutality, it isn’t very well known what Deaf people face with cops. I have heard stories about cops handcuffing Deaf people which means they aren’t able to communicate at all and I have also heard stories about Deaf people being killed by cops because the cop thinks the person signing is gang signs.
    • Do these things happening affect your daily and make you fear having to be put in a situation like that?
    • Do you have to plan for what you would do and how you would communicate if you were to be arrested by a cop and your hands were put behind you back?
    • Do these things happening make you feel like you cannot trust cops?
    • Do cops make you feel more scared or safe?
    • And if you have any experiences with a cop like this, could you share your story if you feel comfortable?

Well...it's not my place but my two cents. To make it more open ended, line one change what to do or leave out, line five leave out why or why not, line seven leave out (not relevant), line ten leave out the ,and ,part, line eleven replace, maybe, something like do you have any thoughts or experience with interactions between the deaf community and police. This from an old man, I'd be surprised if anyone answers you:ily:

Back