Intertribal Deaf Council

G

Gemtun

Everyone, I was wondering if you guys have heard about this organization, Intertribal Deaf Council?

Intertribal Deaf Council (IDC) is believed to be the only North American non-profit organization for Deaf, Deaf-Blind, and Hard of Hearing American Indian, Alaska Native, and First Nations individuals and their families.

It is a wonderful organization because there are many Deaf who are Indians but do not know much about their origins or knowing that they can get federal benefits for being a member of a native tribe.

They will have a national conference in Toppenish, Washington in July. Look up www.deafnative.com for more information.

I am a Cherokee but did not know until I met my biological father four years ago. Now I am going to this conference to find out more about this culture. Should be interesting as I feel kind of not complete, not knowing my entire make up.

Aho!

AHO!

One of our past presidents is an Eastern Cherokee and I've had the wonderful experiences of learning tribal philosophies and been to several pow wows. Tribal legends are one of the most intresting of all types of folklore. Two years ago next door to our booth at the county fair was the Native American booth and one of the volunteers there was interested in learning American Sign Language and I taught him some signs and he taught me some indian signs. The whole experience was fun and interesting. I just wish I had more time to enjoy the Native Americas.

Richard

Last edited:
Meg, hi there....
I have only a superficial knowledge of some of this......you spoke of government benefits; I recall a friend of mine saying that these benefits are based on if one is 1/3, 1/2, whole blooded, etc. but you probably know this. You probably also know that the Cherokee nation headquarters is back in Tennessee(I think)and that they might be a source of information if one is wanting to research their heritage?

Back