Interpreters who are HoH?

IMHO, whether or not you can become a terp depends on if you can "function as a hearing person." Just like with any other job, interpreters are allowed to use accommodations they need to do their job successfully. For me that is hearing aids, for someone else it might be a CI. I don't think it would be that big a deal...as long as the person can "function as a hearing person" with their equipment (whatever it is), then I would think they could be an interpreter.

However, there is also the fact that not everyone hears equally well with a CI. Maybe you can hear at 30 dB, but if your speech recognition is low, you couldn't be an interpreter. You also have to be able to speak clearly and be understood in order to be an ASL-English interpreter.

Are there any advantages that a HOH terp might have over a hearing terp?

With all due respect to these hard of hearing interpreters, I had a bad experience with a HoH interpreter. A few years ago, I had an important meeting with my boss and an interpreter came in to facilitate between him and me. The meeting was interrupted several because she was having hard time to hear what my boss said. I wondered what was going on and asked her what was wrong. She said she was HoH and I said, "Oh? I did not know that. You should forewarn me in first place before this meeting takes place." Unfortunately the meeting did not go well because she was having some difficulties to hear what my boss talked to me. Afterward I have not used her to interpret for me in any important function such as meetings, job interviews, seminars and training. I can use her for social functions like getting together lunch only.

With all due respect to these hard of hearing interpreters, I had a bad experience with a HoH interpreter. A few years ago, I had an important meeting with my boss and an interpreter came in to facilitate between him and me. The meeting was interrupted several because she was having hard time to hear what my boss said. I wondered what was going on and asked her what was wrong. She said she was HoH and I said, "Oh? I did not know that. You should forewarn me in first place before this meeting takes place." Unfortunately the meeting did not go well because she was having some difficulties to hear what my boss talked to me. Afterward I have not used her to interpret for me in any important function such as meetings, job interviews, seminars and training. I can use her for social functions like getting together lunch only.

I am sure, you was embarrassing, when you brought a hoh interpreter in your meeting. I never let one hoh interpreter with me in our meeting company or in the court. I understanding, you didn't know before that one Interpreter is hoh. that is the same time, if you know already that she is hoh. But, she is ready with you on the meeting. Bad timing, because you couldn't let her away and find an another Interpreter. Next time, you know about her name. Then you can call an another interpreter, but not the same last time with her.
I do it, when i don't like one interpreter. she was not perfect german sign. Next time I tell to my boss, please take away this name from interpreter. I want another. It work..

But on the flip side, I've had similiar experiences where a hearing terp misses out the information because the speaker does not speak well or speaks too fast, etc. There are lots of factors that can make an interpreter's ability to understand the context (regardless if hearing or hard of hearing) such as poor acousitcs in the environment (such as a big empty stage or noisy bystanders) and poor amplification (feedback from a microphone), etc.

For the first couple of years that I used a hearing aid when my hearing loss had just gotten into the moderate range, I functioned just like a hearing person and heard 99% of sounds. My hearing loss in my left ear began due to chronic ear infections, and my brain adapted to the changes so that it was as if there never really were any. After a couple of years, I gradually lost some more hearing to the point where I couldn't really function as a hearing person anymore but was still HoH, not deaf (yet). IMO, it should never be -absolute- that a person with a hearing loss should not be able to work as an interpreter, it is just a question of skill. (They should inform you if they're HoH, though...)

(They should inform you if they're HoH, though...)

Just wondering why you think this is important...if I'm wearing my HAs then I can't really HIDE the fact that I'm HOH (my hair is pretty short). I have a coworker who is also a HOH interpreter and she has long hair, so no one ever sees her HAs.

Why do you think an interpreter should tell you s/he is HOH? If I can wear HAs and benefit enough to be able to do the job, why should I tell you I'm HOH?

I'm not disagreeing with you; just wondering.

But on the flip side, I've had similiar experiences where a hearing terp misses out the information because the speaker does not speak well or speaks too fast, etc. There are lots of factors that can make an interpreter's ability to understand the context (regardless if hearing or hard of hearing) such as poor acousitcs in the environment (such as a big empty stage or noisy bystanders) and poor amplification (feedback from a microphone), etc.
Exactly right.

I personally know one HoH terp who can hear just fine when wearing HAs. Excellent terp.

As time goes by, more young hearing terps will become older HoH terps.

Hearing aids have changed a lot since you was a kid. They might work for you now. You can always ask for a trial (try and see period) and check it out without having to pay for it. I demanded a trail before I bought mine. It was supposed to be for two weeks but on the second day, I was convinced. Just an idea. ;)

What kind of hearing aid worked so well for you? My HAs worked just the same as I was as a kid. I must be missing something here? U are profoundly deaf, right?

What kind of hearing aid worked so well for you? My HAs worked just the same as I was as a kid. I must be missing something here? U are profoundly deaf, right?

I sure am - profoundly deaf in both ears since birth. I was recently fitted with the Oticon Sumo DM - one of the most powerful digital hearing aids in the world. It's amazing what I can hear that I've never heard before in my life. I really need to have auditory training because there's so much stuff I hear but have no idea what or where it is. lol

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/50304-my-day-audiologists-office.html

For the first couple of years that I used a hearing aid when my hearing loss had just gotten into the moderate range, I functioned just like a hearing person and heard 99% of sounds. My hearing loss in my left ear began due to chronic ear infections, and my brain adapted to the changes so that it was as if there never really were any. After a couple of years, I gradually lost some more hearing to the point where I couldn't really function as a hearing person anymore but was still HoH, not deaf (yet). IMO, it should never be -absolute- that a person with a hearing loss should not be able to work as an interpreter, it is just a question of skill. (They should inform you if they're HoH, though...)

im in the similar boat as you but in a deeper level, different threshold of functioning also. I was more like functional as a HOH, and had some bouts of tinnitus 12 years ago, it went away after 1 years what a great miracle, then it whamed back in 18 months ago still got it badly, but as not bad as it was 1 years ago !! christ it was murderous on my sanity. and i do have chronic ear infections , that doctors seem to miss all the time...i just wish they 'caught it' in sight and prescribe the right medication, but so far they dont know (and i dont know exactly either), just slight inflammation of the ear, around where earmoulds sits.....need to avoid headphones for its heating up, and condensation...

...and so now i am functioning more like a severly deaf (with my HA on) its really becoming a lonely place to be , since i was conditioned to be functionally as a HOH.....(whatever it is, no body told me, but like Jillio's. and Bajagals relay chats in a forum recently covered a bit on how deaf children have been conditioned to believe they will grow up as a hearing adult.....(that's exactly what it was for me some 25 years ago, and now reality is very different, it makes me angry sometimes, because on a slant (depending if you understand it or not) i blame soceity for all this, since they certainly wont have me to believe i'd be a d/Deaf adult....how irresponsible is that - really!!...

anyway yeah i do follow your 'stepping down' Kim, bit of a drag eh

(They should inform you if they're HoH, though...)

I agree.

Just wondering why you think this is important...if I'm wearing my HAs then I can't really HIDE the fact that I'm HOH (my hair is pretty short). I have a coworker who is also a HOH interpreter and she has long hair, so no one ever sees her HAs.

Why do you think an interpreter should tell you s/he is HOH? If I can wear HAs and benefit enough to be able to do the job, why should I tell you I'm HOH?

I'm not disagreeing with you; just wondering.

Because we have the right to have a capable interpreter. As we have discussed before, we've had some bad experiences with HOH interpreters. Myself, I won't accept an HOH interpreter.

As time goes by, more young hearing terps will become older HoH terps.

Hopefully they'll be retired by then.

Because we have the right to have a capable interpreter. As we have discussed before, we've had some bad experiences with HOH interpreters. Myself, I won't accept an HOH interpreter.[/quota]
What if the HOH interpreter is capable? From what you have said, it sounds like all HOH interpreters are incapable. This thread has already proved otherwise. I understand that you've had bad experiences in the past, and you have every right to choose the interpreter you prefer. But what if the HOH person doesn't tell you until AFTER they are done interpreting, and they did a great job...would you get mad at them?

Should I walk into all assignments and announce that I am hard of hearing? If I perform 100% equal or better to a hearing terp, why does it matter? Why do I have to announce it?

I am trying to understand the same questions as HOHguyOhio.

What if the HOH interpreter is capable? From what you have said, it sounds like all HOH interpreters are incapable. This thread has already proved otherwise. I understand that you've had bad experiences in the past, and you have every right to choose the interpreter you prefer. But what if the HOH person doesn't tell you until AFTER they are done interpreting, and they did a great job...would you get mad at them?

Should I walk into all assignments and announce that I am hard of hearing? If I perform 100% equal or better to a hearing terp, why does it matter? Why do I have to announce it?

I am trying to understand the same questions as HOHguyOhio.

By showing up as an HOH interpreter, the client will always have doubt that one is capable of hearing everything. And always wonder if they got all the information.

As some HOH interpreters mentioned on this forum, there are frequencies that they have a hard time with. I prefer to have an interpreter that hears all frequencies...

A point to ponder: Even hearing interpreters miss things. At least a HOH interpreter would have experience with speechreading, looking for clues to get information, etc. That would be an advantage that a HOH interpreter would have over a hearing person.

Something to think about...;)

By showing up as an HOH interpreter, the client will always have doubt that one is capable of hearing everything. And always wonder if they got all the information.

As some HOH interpreters mentioned on this forum, there are frequencies that they have a hard time with. I prefer to have an interpreter that hears all frequencies...
Yes, I have hearing loss in some frequencies. When I wear my hearing aids, I can hear those frequencies. So if I was working for you, you would have an interpreter that hears all frequencies - as I mentioned, I wear my hearing aids at all times when I interpret. Is that unacceptable because I am still HOH?

It seems to me that the interpreter is the one who knows if they are capable of interpreting successfully. The client has no way to know the hearing ability of any interpreter. If the interpreter shows up to interpret, the client has a reasonable expectation that the terp is capable of giving all the information. Furthermore, hearing while interpreting depends on a lot more than an audiogram...as people have mentioned here already, acoustics, positioning, accents, and many other things affect how well any interpreter receives a message.

I fully respect your right to choose your interpreter, but I don't see how you can make the blanket statements about HOH interpreters based on your bad experiences with a few. I work with three other HOH interpreters besides myself on a daily basis, and they are all excellent interpreters. If somebody turned them down because they are HOH, I would feel sorry for the client, because they would miss a great interpretation that contained all of the information.

Yes, I have hearing loss in some frequencies. When I wear my hearing aids, I can hear those frequencies. So if I was working for you, you would have an interpreter that hears all frequencies - as I mentioned, I wear my hearing aids at all times when I interpret. Is that unacceptable because I am still HOH?

It seems to me that the interpreter is the one who knows if they are capable of interpreting successfully. The client has no way to know the hearing ability of any interpreter. If the interpreter shows up to interpret, the client has a reasonable expectation that the terp is capable of giving all the information. Furthermore, hearing while interpreting depends on a lot more than an audiogram...as people have mentioned here already, acoustics, positioning, accents, and many other things affect how well any interpreter receives a message.

I fully respect your right to choose your interpreter, but I don't see how you can make the blanket statements about HOH interpreters based on your bad experiences with a few. I work with three other HOH interpreters besides myself on a daily basis, and they are all excellent interpreters. If somebody turned them down because they are HOH, I would feel sorry for the client, because they would miss a great interpretation that contained all of the information.

You bring up lots of excellent points. However, I don't think Byrdie was intending to make "blanket statements." He has some valid reasons to be concerned.

"Hard of hearing" instituates that the person has a form of hearing loss. Like you said, we really do not know how much a person can or cannot hear (like any of us carry around an audiogram in our purses/wallets to show the world). So it is understandable that someone might say..."Uh..my intepreter is hard of hearing...how do I really know that the person can function as a hearing person and get all of the information that a hearing person would get?" It's a valid question. Sometimes a simple answer such as "with my hearing aids, I hear everything that a hearing person hears" is enough to reassure the person.

A point to ponder: Even hearing interpreters miss things. At least a HOH interpreter would have experience with speechreading, looking for clues to get information, etc. That would be an advantage that a HOH interpreter would have over a hearing person.

Something to think about...;)

I don't think an interpreter should be "looking for clues" as their job is to listen to interpret.

You bring up lots of excellent points. However, I don't think Byrdie was intending to make "blanket statements." He has some valid reasons to be concerned.

"Hard of hearing" instituates that the person has a form of hearing loss. Like you said, we really do not know how much a person can or cannot hear (like any of us carry around an audiogram in our purses/wallets to show the world). So it is understandable that someone might say..."Uh..my intepreter is hard of hearing...how do I really know that the person can function as a hearing person and get all of the information that a hearing person would get?" It's a valid question. Sometimes a simple answer such as "with my hearing aids, I hear everything that a hearing person hears" is enough to reassure the person.

:ty: deafbajagal.

Yet if an indidvidual says, "with my hearing aids, I hear everything a hearing person hears," leads me to wonder, how do they know what a hearing person hears with an aid of a hearing aid?

( I know....the conspiracist in me is "coming out." :lol: )

Back