Interpreter's salary

The only reason you make so much more in DC is because of the cost of living! Don't be so snotty!

Wow...nice way to welcome yourself into the community, with insults and attitude.

Tousi's right. Fluency in ASL is not the only requirement for professional interpreters.

Your friend will need at least a two-year college degree in interpreting (a four-year degree is preferable,

I agree with the first sentence and disagree with the second. I know plenty of interpreters who don't have degrees, myself included.

I should add that I joined a study group before my written NIC test (although I kind of skated by, not reading any of the suggested reading. Oops!) and went to a workshop before my performance. The workshop was facilitated by a couple people who hadn't even taken the NIC, go figure.

I agree with the first sentence and disagree with the second. I know plenty of interpreters who don't have degrees, myself included....
Take it up with RID:

"Degree Requirements
Beginning June 30, 2008, hearing candidates for certification must have a minimum of an associate’s degree to take a performance exam. Deaf candidates must have a minimum of an associate’s degree after June 30, 2012."

I said he will need a degree if he goes for certification later.

Most ITP's are at least an associate degree.

"Degree Requirements
Beginning June 30, 2008, hearing candidates for certification must have a minimum of an associate’s degree to take a performance exam. Deaf candidates must have a minimum of an associate’s degree after June 30, 2012."

And I'm way too tired to look it up but isn't there going to be a future requirement of a bachelor's degree? Or am I misremembering?

And I'm way too tired to look it up but isn't there going to be a future requirement of a bachelor's degree? Or am I misremembering?

Yep. I believe hearing candidates must have a bachelor's by 2012 and deaf candidates by 2016.

Yep. I believe hearing candidates must have a bachelor's by 2012 and deaf candidates by 2016.

I think this is a really good idea. It has nothing to do with skill in ASL but it is important for interpreters to know "something about everything" as my teacher put it. A strong liberal arts background serves an interpreter well in so many settings, and it will also help with the problem of inexperienced interpreters in educational settings. Yes, their ASL and interpreting skills will still need work but they will have more background knowledge than many new interpreters today who have to struggle with all of these issues.

I'm not singling out anyone here (because honestly I have no idea how old most of you are!), I'm speaking from my ITP experience. There were "kids" in there (oh my god I sound so old!) who had just graduated from high school and whose work suffered not from a lack of skill in ASL, but from a lack of world knowledge, and often from a lack of general linguistic knowledge and understanding of English. These students were then sent out to interpret in college classes in which they had no knowledge of the subject at all, either from life experience or from their educational background.

(Of course I am not saying ALL the students were like this!)

Okay, I'm a bit of a cheerleader for education, which is why I stopped interpreting and started teaching. Also, I have experience working with interpreters who had beautiful ASL and interpreting skills I envied, but who frequently miscommunicated the message due to a lack of academic knowledge. I think it's right that the interpreting community is recognizing the importance of all facets of an interpreter's education.

I'm not clear on the grandfathering process though; I assume current interpreters who don't have a bachelor's and don't plant to get one are just going to hurry up and take the NIC. I have known a few model interpreters who have been around for ages and aren't going to get their bachelor's at this point, but are certainly at the top of their craft.

/soapbox

At my church I interpret for free.

I had a Top Secret clearance when I was in the Navy and Naval Reserve (NIS/FBI background check); I also had to get a different background check by SLED for my concealed carry permit. I'll interpret for you and keep you covered, heh, heh. :lol:

DANG That is impressive.. :eek3:
Wonder Woman the interpreter!

I'm not clear on the grandfathering process though; I assume current interpreters who don't have a bachelor's and don't plant to get one are just going to hurry up and take the NIC. I have known a few model interpreters who have been around for ages and aren't going to get their bachelor's at this point, but are certainly at the top of their craft.
I'm already certified, but I don't plan to take the NIC anytime soon. However I am in school, so by the time I graduate, if I feel I need to take the NIC, I will hopefully fit under the rules and have a degree anyway!

You are remembering correctly. :)

The requirement for bachelor's degree will be phased in at a later date. I can't access the details right now. For some reason, I can't open up any of RID's pdf files. But here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/Certification_Documents/degree_requirements_FAQ.pdf

I think this is a really good idea. It has nothing to do with skill in ASL but it is important for interpreters to know "something about everything" as my teacher put it. A strong liberal arts background serves an interpreter well in so many settings, and it will also help with the problem of inexperienced interpreters in educational settings. Yes, their ASL and interpreting skills will still need work but they will have more background knowledge than many new interpreters today who have to struggle with all of these issues.

I'm not singling out anyone here (because honestly I have no idea how old most of you are!), I'm speaking from my ITP experience. There were "kids" in there (oh my god I sound so old!) who had just graduated from high school and whose work suffered not from a lack of skill in ASL, but from a lack of world knowledge, and often from a lack of general linguistic knowledge and understanding of English. These students were then sent out to interpret in college classes in which they had no knowledge of the subject at all, either from life experience or from their educational background.

Okay, I'm a bit of a cheerleader for education, which is why I stopped interpreting and started teaching. Also, I have experience working with interpreters who had beautiful ASL and interpreting skills I envied, but who frequently miscommunicated the message due to a lack of academic knowledge. I think it's right that the interpreting community is recognizing the importance of all facets of an interpreter's education.

/soapbox
:gpost:

Pah! RID files open!

Degree Requirements Q & A
Below are answers to frequently asked questions about the upcoming degree requirements.

Q. I passed the written test and have five years to pass the performance test. As a candidate for certification, do I still need an associate's degree after 2008 to take the test?

A. After June 30, 2008, you will need to have the minimum of an associate's degree in order to take a performance test. If you are already certified at that time, the requirement will only apply to you if you want to take additional performance tests.

Q. If an interpreter already has NIC certification at the certified or advanced level before 2008, will he or she still need an associate's degree in order to retest for a higher level?

A. A candidate must meet all eligibility requirements at the time he or she takes an exam. Yes, the candidate will still need to have an associate's degree after June 30, 2008, to sit for additional performance tests.

Q. What is the latest I could take the written test and avoid the bachelor's degree requirement? Do I have five full years to attain certification?

A. The bachelor's degree requirement goes into effect June 30, 2012. You will not need a degree to take the written test, but you will need a degree to take a performance exam. When a candidate takes a performance test, he or she must meet all eligibility requirements. In other words, after June 30, 2008, in order to take a performance test a candidate must still be on his or her five-year timeline and have the minimum of an associate's degree. After June 30, 2012, a candidate must still be on his or her five-year timeline and have the minimum of a bachelor's degree. Certified interpreters will need to meet the educational requirements in order to take additional performance exams.

Q. I am already a CI and CT. Do I still need to have an associate's degree in order to take further tests, such as the NIC Interview and Performance test?

A. Yes, in order to take further performance exams you will need to have the minimum of an associate's degree after June 30, 2008.

Q. I am already certified. I heard there would be grandfathering for the degree requirements. Am I exempt from the requirements? Is there a substitute to holding a degree?

A. If you are already certified, you will not need to have a degree in order to maintain your certification. You will need to have a degree if you want to take further performance exams.

There will be alternatives to holding a degree. The Certification Council recommended equivalent alternatives in lieu of the educational requirements that the RID Board of Directors approved. These are:

• life experience: a portfolio assessment would be prepared by an accredited college or university;
• years of professional experience: (a) national certification would be considered; and (b) a portfolio assessment would be prepared by an accredited college or university;
• years of education: a person would need at least 60 college credits in defined categories below to be equivalent to an associate's degree and 120 credits for a bachelor's degree.

Categories of credit for equivalencies (Nine credits must be completed in each category. Fifteen credits can be completed in any area of study):

English-English Literature, English Composition, etc.

Social Sciences- Psychology, Sociology, etc.

Math/Sciences-Algebra, Basic Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, etc.

Language arts- ASL, Spanish, etc.

Liberal Arts- Art appreciation, Music appreciation, etc.

*Categories listed above were obtained by The Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

I had a Top Secret clearance when I was in the Navy and Naval Reserve (NIS/FBI background check); I also had to get a different background check by SLED for my concealed carry permit. I'll interpret for you and keep you covered, heh, heh.

Greetings to another Veteran Reba. I was in the Army and a Huey Mechanic.
What was your job in the Navy? My dad was a 20 year Navy man.

/soapbox

Very true!

I had a Top Secret clearance when I was in the Navy and Naval Reserve (NIS/FBI background check); I also had to get a different background check by SLED for my concealed carry permit. I'll interpret for you and keep you covered, heh, heh.

Greetings to another Veteran Reba. I was in the Army and a Huey Mechanic.
What was your job in the Navy? My dad was a 20 year Navy man.
Greetings to you, too! :)

I retired as a Chief Journalist.

Take it up with RID:

"Degree Requirements

I said he will need a degree if he goes for certification later.

Most ITP's are at least an associate degree.

"Take it up with RID"? Nice attitude. You said a degree is required. It is not, as I stated. My response was not incorrect. It WILL be, yes. You did not say that in the post I quoted.
You also said the friend would need an INTERPRETING degree. Also incorrect.
In response to another post, I took the state qualification test and passed at the highest level without interpreting (as a job) a day in my life. A friend took the RID test at 18 as soon as she could, and got certified. I'm just saying..there are exceptions to every rule.

Last edited:
"Take it up with RID"? Nice attitude.
They made the rules, not me.

You said a degree is required. It is not, as I stated. My response was not incorrect. It WILL be, yes. You did not say that in the post I quoted.
"Your friend will need at least a two-year college degree in interpreting (a four-year degree is preferable, and will eventually be required for certification)."

"The requirement for bachelor's degree will be phased in at a later date."

Both statements are future tense.

You also said the friend would need an INTERPRETING degree.
This was the question:
"From what i have heard that hearing person dont have to undergo any training as long he is from deaf family OR know someone closely enough that he doesn't have to go training."

Just being from a deaf family or knowing someone doesn't substitute for interpreter training.

To meet certification requirements, the degrees don't need to be in interpreting. I'm sorry that my run-on sentence didn't make that clear.

"Your friend will need at least a two-year college degree in interpreting (a four-year degree is preferable, and will eventually be required for certification)."

I should have said, "Your friend will need at least a two-year college degree in interpreting to gain the knowledge needed to become a professional interpreter. A four-year degree in interpreting or related major is preferable. Also, a four-year degree (not necessarily in interpreting) will eventually be required for certification."

For someone with no prior experience, learning how to become an interpreter and meet ever increasing professional requirements, a minimum two-year ITP is necessary. Some agencies and school systems require the degrees and certification. Fluency in ASL is not enough. Fluency in ASL is usually the minimum requirement for acceptance into an ITP.

The friend wanted to know the pathway to the profession of interpreting. We're trying to give him realistic responses.
In response to another post, I took the state qualification test and passed at the highest level without interpreting (as a job) a day in my life. A friend took the RID test at 18 as soon as she could, and got certified. I'm just saying..there are exceptions to every rule.
Like you say, those are exceptions. Most people entering the field of interpreting aren't exceptions.

Degree programs provide the training, and certifications provide evaluations and minimum standards. Even those don't guarantee that an interpreter is qualified to do the job. There are some non-certified terps who are more qualified than some certified terps. And not all terps are qualified for every setting and situation. That can't be ascertained in just a certification test. But it's a start.

Also, even the most fluent and ethical interpretor needs to have a well-rounded educational background and knowledge of current affairs to do the job. Certification doesn't test for those things. But it's a start.

"Degree Requirements

Does the associate degree (and bachelor's degree in the future) have to be in Deaf Studies? Or can it be in anything? (Although obviously you would have to take classes in deaf studies and ASL to be an interpreter.)

I know someone who has an interpreter on contract, is earning about 35,000 a year and only works 30 hours a week. She is on level 4.

"Degree Requirements

Does the associate degree (and bachelor's degree in the future) have to be in Deaf Studies? Or can it be in anything? (Although obviously you would have to take classes in deaf studies and ASL to be an interpreter.)
It can be anything. (Also, the date for hearing applicants was extended to 6/30/09.)

Back