Interpreter's salary

That may be true, but that's not a rule or a law. As I previously stated there is no code of conduct for deaf clients. Furthermore, just simply being rude or inconsiderate is not a violation of any us law. It may be bad behavior, yes, but its not a violation of our laws.

Frankly, any interpreter that can't deal with a client who is rude, in a professional manner, should not be interpreting. Interpreters by the code of conduct regardless of whether the client is rude or not still have to act and behave in a manner that is considered professional.

no code of conduct? well there is something called "courtesy." It's the courtesy that your parents teach you as a child... the same courtesy extended to employees by their bosses... If there is a law dictating good or bad behavior.... my my.... good riddance... we're in Orwellian Society!

By the code of conduct, the interpreters have every rights to withdraw from the service if the client is being rude/difficult. If you wish to receive an accommodation service... then you should extending them some courtesy and respect because they are helping you. As long as the client continues to be rude and disrespectful - good luck in life because nobody is going to help him/her and nobody including friends or peers are not going to respect him/her either.

Jewelry is OK as long as it's not distracting. That means, no dangling, swinging earrings, jangling bracelets, multiple rings that click together, long necklaces that get caught on the terp's hands, or any jewelry that is too reflective of light. I usually wear my wedding ring and small simple stud earrings.

i've always been told that tactile terps (for the deafblind) should not wear rings on their fingers or any kind of reflective jewelry. they should not wear perfume or cologne either.

no code of conduct? well there is something called "courtesy." It's the courtesy that your parents teach you as a child... the same courtesy extended to employees by their bosses... If there is a law dictating good or bad behavior.... my my.... good riddance... we're in Orwellian Society!

By the code of conduct, the interpreters have every rights to withdraw from the service if the client is being rude/difficult. If you wish to receive an accommodation service... then you should extending them some courtesy and respect because they are helping you. As long as the client continues to be rude and disrespectful - good luck in life because nobody is going to help him/her and nobody including friends or peers are not going to respect him/her either.

Bingo! And, just so jasin understands, that code of "conduct" he referred to is actually a code of "ethics". And that code includes solutions for dealing with clients that are unnecessarily rude and objectionable. They are dealt with in an ethical manner.

i've always been told that tactile terps (for the deafblind) should not wear rings on their fingers or any kind of reflective jewelry. they should not wear perfume or cologne either.
For tactile interpreting, less is better.

I don't do tactile interpreting. The only ring I wear is a wedding band, no stones, on my non-dominant hand, so I don't think it's too distracting.

I have done non-tacticle interpreting for low-vision clients, and I follow their individual guidelines for positioning, appearance, etc. For example, one client prefers that I stand to one side rather than straight on, and wear no lip gloss. Lighting is usually the most important issue.

As far as client rudeness, I can suck it up. But more importantly, why is the client being rude, and how is it effecting communication? If the client is being rude because he/she just doesn't like me for whatever personal reason (color, sex, associations), then it might be better to get another interpreter. But if the client is just plain ornery and rude to all interpreters, then I deal with that. If the client is so rude that the other parties involved are disturbed by the client's behavior, then it's up to the person in charge to, well, TAKE CHARGE!

Terps have to be careful not to take everything as a personal affront.

Tousi's right. Fluency in ASL is not the only requirement for professional interpreters.

Your friend will need at least a two-year college degree in interpreting (a four-year degree is preferable, and will eventually be required for certification).

That's the starting point.

It depends on the state in which you live and where you are trying to get certified, i.e., within your state or nationally. A degree may not be required, though you must pass a competency exam. You can be a CODA or a non-native signer. Here in Washington, you can take the exam and not have any education in ASL, but it does help ;) Good luck. I'd recommend researching the career, education, and certification. :D

It depends on the state in which you live and where you are trying to get certified, i.e., within your state or nationally. A degree may not be required, though you must pass a competency exam. You can be a CODA or a non-native signer. Here in Washington, you can take the exam and not have any education in ASL, but it does help ;) Good luck. I'd recommend researching the career, education, and certification. :D
A degree is necessary for national RID NIC certification:

"Beginning June 30, 2009, hearing candidates for certification must have a minimum of an associate's degree to take a performance exam."

RID - NIC (NAD-RID Certification)

As far as client rudeness, I can suck it up. But more importantly, why is the client being rude, and how is it effecting communication? If the client is being rude because he/she just doesn't like me for whatever personal reason (color, sex, associations), then it might be better to get another interpreter. But if the client is just plain ornery and rude to all interpreters, then I deal with that. If the client is so rude that the other parties involved are disturbed by the client's behavior, then it's up to the person in charge to, well, TAKE CHARGE!

Terps have to be careful not to take everything as a personal affront.

yep.... I hear that stories often from pretty much all my terps. They all have at least 1 very difficult & rude client and they do their best to suck it up. Not to brag but they told me and their supervisor that I'm their easiest-going client. :D I have a very simple requirement for terps - I expect them to be there and ready before I arrive to class/meeting. One of my terps was frequently late to my class and I did not like that at all. I do not like missing even one word of professor's greeting so I had a little talk after the class and that fixed the problem. Just because I'm an easy-going guy doesn't mean you can be few minutes late. :nono: I'm a friend before and after class/meeting but I'm a client during the class/meeting and I expect reliable result.

More than half of time, they have me as their last client of the day and I could see how dreary they looked. I try my best to brighten up their moods with small talk before the classes and during the break because my course lectures weren't easy and they were painfully long.

For tactile interpreting, less is better.

I don't do tactile interpreting. The only ring I wear is a wedding band, no stones, on my non-dominant hand, so I don't think it's too distracting.

I have done non-tacticle interpreting for low-vision clients, and I follow their individual guidelines for positioning, appearance, etc. For example, one client prefers that I stand to one side rather than straight on, and wear no lip gloss. Lighting is usually the most important issue.

Argh. I hate having to enforce the Code of Ethics on interpreters. I think I only have two out of * counts * 27 that actually respected my low-vision need. Well, three, but the third one I have only used once.

ie. stand no more than three feet away at the most, no wedding ring, black sweater/long sleeve shirt/other similar top, no accessories, no lip gloss, wear red lipstick to name a few. Without any of those being followed, it is hard to read their hands and face.

Oooh... I hate it when they decide to wear a red sweater or a white t-shirt, or a scarf. Most of the time they just dismiss me and say they're working not working for me, but rather they are working for the speaker, even though I am the one that pay for them out of my own pockets. :eek3::roll: Anyway, usually it get resolved once I take it up with the speaker.

More time than not, I find it easier to deal with real-time captioner since all I have to do is dictate the point size (point 16-24) and typeface (Times New Roman.) But I also find it more physically and mentally straining to be reading for an a hour compared to six hours with an interpreter.

So I applause your efforts. :)

Argh. I hate having to enforce the Code of Ethics on interpreters. I think I only have two out of * counts * 27 that actually respected my low-vision need. Well, three, but the third one I have only used once.

ie. stand no more than three feet away at the most, no wedding ring, black sweater/long sleeve shirt/other similar top, no accessories, no lip gloss, wear red lipstick to name a few. Without any of those being followed, it is hard to read their hands and face.

Oooh... I hate it when they decide to wear a red sweater or a white t-shirt, or a scarf. Most of the time they just dismiss me and say they're working not working for me, but rather they are working for the speaker, even though I am the one that pay for them out of my own pockets. :eek3::roll: Anyway, usually it get resolved once I take it up with the speaker.

More time than not, I find it easier to deal with real-time captioner since all I have to do is dictate the point size (point 16-24) and typeface (Times New Roman.) But I also find it more physically and mentally straining to be reading for an a hour compared to six hours with an interpreter.

So I applause your efforts. :)

Interesting. My interpreters are all fantastic around vision stuff. I am a weird one though and make them not wear black. It is easier for me to see with lighter colors. They are all fine with coming close to me too. When I have issues with seeing terps it is because of the lighting and that isn't their fault. It is always the stupid professors fault. Hmph

At my church I interpret for free.

I had a Top Secret clearance when I was in the Navy and Naval Reserve (NIS/FBI background check); I also had to get a different background check by SLED for my concealed carry permit. I'll interpret for you and keep you covered, heh, heh. :lol:
Hi Reba. I kind of stumbled onto this site and read this thread, was very interested in what was being said and was wondering if you might be able to answer a couple questions if it wasn't too much of a bother.
I'm 21 years old and live in central IL as a college student and very recently had my interests in ASL rekindled so much that I'm considering making it a career. I live a couple hours away from Jacksonville, IL where they have a good sized Deaf community and with what I hear they offer a BA for deaf and hard of hearing education and in interpretation.
Now I'm only in my first ASL class at a small college with a hearing professor who's interpreted and taught English to the Deaf for about 30 years. Needless to say I'm not very far into it all but I am very interested in learning more. I guess my questions would be:
1) what is the demand for interpreters with the economy today?
2) what degree, certification and/or years of experience would qualify for a good stable job?
3) how would you come up with a good road map to success?

I read a lot of your posts and you seem very qualified to answer these questions so I hope you don't mind.

Also, you did mention in a very old post about being in the service. I'm with the IL national guard and curious if you happen to know if the military (any branch) is still in need of an interpreter?

I appreciate your time and I hope this message finds you well.

Back