Interpreter's salary

its interesting to note SL interpreters to have more 'freedom of dress' than other professions, I wonder why is that ?

like Private doctors, dont go radically dress up to shock people, because like they have to dress as a Professional.....lawyers are the same, you dont see queer lawyer brandishing pink-flo ties or flared pants......do you? or dykes wearing Obviously dykish earrings? or rainbow coloured clothing item(s) like big socks on dykes....

I am also saying i wonder if this to do with interpreters 'knowing deafs are 'open minded' about dress codes? sort of like getting an excuse??

wow, very interesting... I didn't know that interpreters, doctors, lawyers etc didn't know how to wear professional. Oh I see... I understand why they need dictation how to wear appropriate clothes. That's why they have rule for dress code... :roll: We Germans do not need their dictation because we are not children and we know how to dress in manner way... ;) I'm glad that nobody dictate us how to dress...

Here in Germany, Freedom of dress... they (doctors, lawyers, interpreters) do not need our dictation how to dress in manner way because they are an adult and know how to dress in manner way. ;) Of course they wear color clothes instead of wear black clothes. I respect interpreters when they feel comfortable to wear light or color clothes during hot summer... Of course they wear 2 or 3 ear pierce on their ears... So what? Of course they wear pierce on their tongue... So what? Of course they use color on their nails... So what... ? They prefer to wear color clothes... So what? They know how to dress in appropriate way. For us is mainly important is Interpreters should feel comfortable what they wear. We respect them. Where is your respect on Interpreters?

Anyway, I told some interpreters after read ADer's complaint posts over interpreter's ear pierces, tongue pierce, jewellery, clothes etc at several years ago. Their reaction is SHOCK and said that where is their respect?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never seen anyone dress unprofessionally.
I want to make sure either Grummer or my post, you referred to. If your answer is Grummer's post... then I will ask no more further question... If your answer is my post...then is my question here:

Are you saying that color and light clothes are unprofessionally?

I've definitely never seen an interpreter with a distracting piercing. The idea that interpreters have "freedom of dress" makes me giggle. :giggle:

What is this?

Keep :giggle: yourself.

He based his comment on Liebling's post that described the terps that she experienced, so that's what I replied to.

It has nothing do with my experience but only stated that I was surprised to learn from ADers at other thread at few years ago over interpreter dress code... no jewellery, must wear black clothes, no make-up, etc. which is total different as here in Germany. That's all.

well funny thing about NZ, is 'we supposed to be behind the rest fo the world in terms of trend, fashion, attitudes and all other shit.... like extroverts gets mixed up about 'what is overseas have' and they often use it as an excuse to get away with it. Since NZ society is 'behind', the inexperience of certain things are taken advantage of, because they know it wont be noticed as 'bending the rules' as if it is not appropriate. Often bragging about their experiences from being in the USA, or UK is not uncommon in New Zealand.
I recall to have met a terp from UK who sported a nose peirce, not too obvious but its like a small but shiny mole on the nose, it was ignored for what seemed to be more important was that English interpreter was bringing in their longer-standing interpreting experiences into the newly-restructured organisation starving for flair and knowledge of this new occupation
So it was easy for them to 'get away with it' while also funnily enough, the interpreter candiate for some reason tend to attract extroverts, which it's not too suprising... i just sometimes dissapprove of the way how they think its a quaint new job to seek with its new and exciting challenges all the while forget the real struggle deaf people really endure on the every day basis....

UK people have no problem with interpreter's dress code because it's their choice... yes, they do have nose pierece, tongue, etc. Who cares? Mainly important that they did their job good. :)

well, no, but it all depends
on the occassion, and how prolific a hired interpreter is. Like for example of educational interpreters are hired to do a all day seminar in a university or a corporate presentation, then the dressing codes would follow be formal, like black tops, minimal splonshing of colouring in facial makeups, hairs held back, and neutral nail polishes. On other occassions in a more deaf-orientated functions it might be less formal, permiting more self- expression.
An interesting thing i have observed , older more experienced interpreters tend to follow to a more formal style, wherein the younger graduates or such would tend to be more relaxed in which i suspect has a lot to do with attempts to win approval for being open minded amongst the fashion-conscious youngsters. I have seen an attractive young woman who is an interpreter while i am unsure of her qualifications, she dressed informally yes with those long pull up tube socks all rainbow coloured as (Etoile mentioned the type) and she also wore an orangey beret.
The idea of black and plain nails and hair does minimise distraction and maximise clarity for deaf to watch and capture the signs. I supposed it all depends as the 'flexibility' of dress is often at the interpreter's own judgement, indeed at their own risk of their work reputation.
I dont give a shit, but I would if i had to put up with bright colouring tops or glossy,reflective white which more all too glaring and difficult to read the signs then it would show this terps wasnt thinking about how it would be like for the deaf persons/client/consumers/customers/people/individuals.

well, no, but it all depends
on the occassion, and how prolific a hired interpreter is. Like for example of educational interpreters are hired to do a all day seminar in a university or a corporate presentation, then the dressing codes would follow be formal, like black tops, minimal splonshing of colouring in facial makeups, hairs held back, and neutral nail polishes. On other occassions in a more deaf-orientated functions it might be less formal, permiting more self- expression.
An interesting thing i have observed , older more experienced interpreters tend to follow to a more formal style, wherein the younger graduates or such would tend to be more relaxed in which i suspect has a lot to do with attempts to win approval for being open minded amongst the fashion-conscious youngsters. I have seen an attractive young woman who is an interpreter while i am unsure of her qualifications, she dressed informally yes with those long pull up tube socks all rainbow coloured as (Etoile mentioned the type) and she also wore an orangey beret.
The idea of black and plain nails and hair does minimise distraction and maximise clarity for deaf to watch and capture the signs. I supposed it all depends as the 'flexibility' of dress is often at the interpreter's own judgement, indeed at their own risk of their work reputation.
I dont give a shit, but I would if i had to put up with bright colouring tops or glossy,reflective white which more all too glaring and difficult to read the signs then it would show this terps wasnt thinking about how it would be like for the deaf persons/client/consumers/customers/people/individuals.

In all walks of life and all situations, those who are younger members of society dress differently than those who are older members of society. A 70 year old terp will not display the same sense of fashion and self expression as will a 21 year old terp.

While members of a professional group, terps are still individuals, and can be expected to act as such to a degree, even in their professional choice of attire and accessories.

A non-distracting piercing, obviously. The back of my ear isn't visible when I'm interpreting. :crazy:

Exactly, that´s why I have no problem with interpreters for wear kind of jewellery like that... no matter how many ear-piercing they have... but some ADers at other thread of few years ago.

Exactly, that´s why I have no problem with interpreters for wear kind of jewellery like that... no matter how many ear-piercing they have... but some ADers at other thread of few years ago.

Oh, I thought you meant it was a distracting one. :D

I know, Reba

Shel90, on the job

Personally, I have never seen any terps dress outrageous like u described on the job. In my 20 or so years of experience of having terps assigned to me, they all have dressed professionally. Only one time there was a terp who had black nail polish and many of us called her the "witch" cuz she did dress only in black from top to bottom, wear black nail polish, had big red hair, and a wart on her nose. I know it is mean but someone started with the name and it stuck. She was nice though.

It has nothing do with my experience but only stated that I was surprised to learn from ADers at other thread at few years ago over interpreter dress code... no jewellery, must wear black clothes, no make-up, etc. which is total different as here in Germany. That's all.
Jewelry is OK as long as it's not distracting. That means, no dangling, swinging earrings, jangling bracelets, multiple rings that click together, long necklaces that get caught on the terp's hands, or any jewelry that is too reflective of light. I usually wear my wedding ring and small simple stud earrings.

Makeup is fine, and even recommended. It should be tasteful and natural looking, not too glittery. Low-vision clients don't like shiny lip gloss, so matte finish lip color is better. Personally, as I'm "graying" and fair skinned, I prefer to wear at least some lip color, eyeliner, and eyebrow pencil so that my features and expression are clearly visible at a distance. I put a little light powder on my nose so that my Rudolph nose doesn't blind anyone. :lol:

Clothing doesn't have to be all black but it's easier and more economical for me to stick with one color scheme. Light-skinned terps should wear dark clothing to contrast with their skin color for better visibility. The clothing doesn't have to be black but can be navy blue, dark forest green, maroon, etc. Bright colors and patterns are hard on the clients' eyes, especially for platform or long assignments. Dark-skinned terps should wear light ivory or off-white clothing for contrast.

These aren't "rules" to make terps seem somber or dull. They're common sense suggestions for practical visual reasons. Besides, black clothing can be very stylish. :)

The degree of formality depends on the setting. If the terp assignment is a large black-tie award ceremony, the terp isn't going to wear jeans and a tank top. If the assignment is an elementary school field trip to the zoo, jeans and a casual blue shirt might be OK. Hospital ER--well, you do the best you can.

Bottom line is, during working hours the focus is not about how stylish the terp is. After work, terps can look any way they want.

It's not really any different than other people who wear uniforms or dress code clothing on their jobs. Military people, police, firefighters, restaurant wait staff, chefs, etc., where special clothing for work. It's no big deal.

We should change this thread title to Interpreter Salary and Dress Code. :D

We should change this thread title to Interpreter Salary and Dress Code. :D

If a Mod wants to split the "dress code" into a new thread, I have no objection. :D

Of course, that depends on the thread creator's desire.

p.s.
About terp hair; Hubby thinks I should put some purple and pink streaks in my hair, that it would be cute. But I'm pretty sure if I showed up at work that way it would cause a bit of a stir. Maybe I'll get some spray-on color for the weekends. :P

p.s.
About terp hair; Hubby thinks I should put some purple and pink streaks in my hair, that it would be cute. But I'm pretty sure if I showed up at work that way it would cause a bit of a stir. Maybe I'll get some spray-on color for the weekends. :P
My thoughts EXACTLY! Or some little clip-on extensions in bright colors, I saw those the other day and I was tempted...just to be silly.

Actually, I'm just quoting your posts to make sure you don't edit them later. Often people with such controversial views wish they hadn't said them. Also, I think you're being a complete dick, spouting off opinions as truth without facts, quotes, and substantiation, so I just want to make sure everybody gets to see what an asshat you are. :wave:

:laugh2: asshat.... just doesn't get said enough.

My thoughts EXACTLY! Or some little clip-on extensions in bright colors, I saw those the other day and I was tempted...just to be silly.
I like the extensions idea. I don't know if my aim is good enough for a spray. :lol:

Hahaha...

Well, if I liked the interpreter... I would inform that interpreter how much I appreciate the interpreting and pass the word along to other friends about how good this interpreter is.

I did that for a few interpreters at RIT. This actually made them look forward to interpreting for me later on. "Oh, this is his class! Great, I'll interpret this class!"

I can't speak for all terps, but as far as I'm concerned, that's WAY better than a monetary tip and really means alot to me. Yes, it's our job, and yes, we are getting paid but a simple, "thank you, good job" really does the heart good. You really make an interpreter's day when you say that.

I can't speak for all terps, but as far as I'm concerned, that's WAY better than a monetary tip and really means alot to me. Yes, it's our job, and yes, we are getting paid but a simple, "thank you, good job" really does the heart good. You really make an interpreter's day when you say that.
Hmmm, how many pages ago was it that I said that?! LOL :D

Back