Interpreters Lack of

LadyAbigail

Reaction score
My ASL teacher was talking about interpreters in class this week and mentioned that there are approximately 50 deaf people in Joplin, but only 2 level 5 (95% accuracy) interpreters qualified to interpret for doctors appointments, etc. one of those interpreters is my very busy teacher and the other can't sign right now due to an injury. :(

I'm wondering...is it like this all over the country? Does everyone have trouble even finding a qualified interpreter?

I had few in college that barely could interpret. I'm sure they weren't certified. I was just happy to have something interpreted even if it was poorly done. Anything is better than nothing. Had to take what I could get.

:shock:
My ASL teacher was talking about interpreters in class this week and mentioned that there are approximately 50 deaf people in Joplin, but only 2 level 5 (95% accuracy) interpreters qualified to interpret for doctors appointments, etc. one of those interpreters is my very busy teacher and the other can't sign right now due to an injury. :(

I'm wondering...is it like this all over the country? Does everyone have trouble even finding a qualified interpreter?

Hi... I'm not sure where Joplin is, it would help if you could put down the state or the country b/c we're from everywhere. :) I looked it up, looks like it's in MO?

I noticed that there are MORE interpreters in the city than out in the country (like midwest). It's very sad that we don't have a lot of qualified interpreters. :( the RID test recently got more complicated and tougher which makes it a lot harder for qualified interpreters to passed. required standards for interpreters increasing every year.... in a way, it's a good thing that it got harder, so that way they can screen qualified interpreters but at the same time.. it can hurt the interpreter community. The danger with this system is that the shortage of qualified interpreters might increase. I know several people that were discouraged from completing their interpreting programs because of high standards...

I've heard interpreters refer to their level, but I didn't know about related accuracy percentages. Can you give the percents for the other levels? Or a link to more information? Thanks!

no idea. im not an expert

but when looking up interpreters for their creditionals, i go to RID.ORG and check if the interpreter is certified.

Hi Moelza:)

Sorry, I was asking the OP and forgot to quote. There were no other replies when I started typing, and by the time I entered my post, there were two more:0

I knew in undergrad certain interpreters felt like they were more interested or qualified in working with deaf-blind, nano, medical, history and politics, etc. Some of my interpreters were open about being bored in a 3 hour studio art class. Never unprofessional or rude about it; I asked them in a conversation before or after my class about what THEY like to work with because I was curious.

I think that's the same with any language translator or interpreter... they have a "type" they prefer and get good at. My Albany, NY interpreters were pulled as far as Massachusetts to work.... so I don't think there's a shortage but they definitely pull them far out to work. I think the bigger problem here is when you request an interpreter they don't know how to get one, even if you give them a phone number for the agency. They don't understand that it can be a tax write off for communication with clients much like a telephone or that for certain low-income small businesses and startups they may qualify for federal assistance for footing the bill to hire one. They look at it like a big expense and start to make excuses for how they are hard to get for you. They're definitely available - some of my interpreters who I started chatting with socially say that some of them wish they had more work.

Last edited:
sound look likes experiment to quality find review evaluation to interpreter do you want to match. you prefer to high quality interpreter. do you have troubles quality on match interpret? . you want to exactly to observing to comfortable strong personal quality confidential interpreter. it is depend on interpreter. Don't be lousy quality interpreter..

:shock:

Hi... I'm not sure where Joplin is, it would help if you could put down the state or the country b/c we're from everywhere. :) I looked it up, looks like it's in MO?

Oops, sorry! Yes, Joplin is in MO. There was an EF-5 tornado here in 2011...largest and most devastating since 1947.
I forgot to mention...of those 50 or so deaf people that my ASL teacher said lived here, that was before the tornado. She said that some have moved away because they couldn't find jobs after the tornado. :(

I've heard interpreters refer to their level, but I didn't know about related accuracy percentages. Can you give the percents for the other levels? Or a link to more information? Thanks!

Going on my memory...

Level 1-ASL students such as myself. Really not qualified to interpret anything. :)
Level 2-20% I think? Considered qualified to work in education with young children...bad idea btw.
Level 3-40% or 60%
Level 4-85%
Level 5-95% Must be a level 5 to interpret in hospitals, mental health appointments, important things like that where communication could mean life or death.

I can ask again for more exact info, but that's what I remember atm. Can't believe I wasn't taking notes! Since the class is taught in ASL, I get to concentrating on just understanding what she's signing and forget to write things down. :)

I don't wear my hearing devices except when working... because I hate them, and they're annoying... and I hate them... Did I mention I hate them? So yes, I hate them... a lot... Anytime I go into a doctor or hospital I have no issue finding a terp. I know I spent some time in Joplin, Jefferson City and Columbia Missouri. They are all super tiny towns compared to most cities. Not big at all. So yes, I'm sure it'd be harder to find a qualified terp anywhere in those areas. Though Columbia is "bigger" and a college town, it's still small. Anywhere else I've visited or gone I've had no issues finding a qualified terp. There's even terp services you can hire one online. They're eeeeeeverrrrrrywheeeeeeere.... o.o Moms friend is a terp... says she has hard time finding work. O.o

Back