Interpreter Refused…multiple Times

Renée12

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a sophomore in high school and I am involved with many clubs. The problem is that it's mainstream and I'm literally the only deafie in sight for miles. Only about 2-3 classes and clubs offer an interpreter for me. The problem is that none of these classes and clubs are important. I've asked for an interpreter multiple times. I ask more for it in band because it's the only class that I don't need a note taker in and because I'm the head drum major. I originally started the season off with an interpreter, but a couple weeks ago she was dismissed by the school saying that she's a distraction to the people on the field. I know that I'm pretty high up on the band's social hierarchy and have some authority, but I'm not sure if that will give me the right to keep on fighting. Every single time I talk to the director I want to bring up the ADA but I'm too scared to do so. I could also go with plan B and quit the band but they need me.

Ok, so I'm a sophomore in high school and I am involved with many clubs. The problem is that it's mainstream and I'm literally the only deafie in sight for miles. Only about 2-3 classes and clubs offer an interpreter for me. The problem is that none of these classes and clubs are important. I've asked for an interpreter multiple times. I ask more for it in band because it's the only class that I don't need a note taker in and because I'm the head drum major. I originally started the season off with an interpreter, but a couple weeks ago she was dismissed by the school saying that she's a distraction to the people on the field. I know that I'm pretty high up on the band's social hierarchy and have some authority, but I'm not sure if that will give me the right to keep on fighting. Every single time I talk to the director I want to bring up the ADA but I'm too scared to do so. I could also go with plan B and quit the band but they need me.
If they need you and you need an interpreter, tell them you're quitting unless they provide one. Those who are distracted need to learn how to ignore distractions.

Bring ADA up... I'm a little surprised you don't have an interpreter for ALL of your classes regardless of what they are. Your school and/or school district is shortchanging you. Maybe keep going up the ladder from guidance counselor to principal to school superintendent. It sounds like you do enjoy band and LB's suggestion is a good one.

They are, without question, in direct violation of the law. I would document every request and every denial.

How much do you know about your rights in this kind of a situation?

It depends on what's documented as requirements in the student's IEP. Normally all the classes would be covered but the extracurricular activities might not be.

Oohh good point Reba about the IEP... forgot about that (silly me... after all the years as a case manager and doing similar plans for my clients...).

It depends on what's documented as requirements in the student's IEP. Normally all the classes would be covered but the extracurricular activities might not be.

Wait, extracurricular classes might not be covered? That's a step backward! I always had interpreters for extracurricular activities at all levels of my education to this point. I also fully expect to have the same level of access in my future education!

I don't mean any offense, but that came as a jolt. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it and understand if it may be true.

Wait, extracurricular classes might not be covered? That's a step backward! I always had interpreters for extracurricular activities at all levels of my education to this point. I also fully expect to have the same level of access in my future education!

I don't mean any offense, but that came as a jolt. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it and understand if it may be true.
You must have had amazing parents fighting to have everything perfectly spelled out and agreed to on your IEP. You are the exception.

You must have had amazing parents fighting to have everything perfectly spelled out and agreed to on your IEP. You are the exception.

Thanks for the clarification. It seems that my entire school district was the exception, all the kids I knew had interpreters for all kinds of activities. Football, tennis, etc. If one of us requested an interpreter for, say, computer or debate club, we would receive them.

I am grateful for the people who laid that foundation for us. Perhaps the best way to honor them is to continue that momentum.

Actually, I had the same too. I was on the basketball team, and track-and-field. I had interpreters for both. Including weekend games and meets.

Part of me wonders if it might depend on how "wealthy" the particular school district is and how much they're willing to provide, financially. Whether it's legal or not.

Part of me wonders if it might depend on how "wealthy" the particular school district is and how much they're willing to provide, financially. Whether it's legal or not.
The district I'm in is extremely wealthy and could afford at least 1 statue and 2 more athletic fields if possible. I didn't know that athletics was more important than my learning…

No one. But the school implies it by focusing more on the football team and other sports than the rest of the other students and their studies

I still think you are entitled to full and equal access to all of your activities. I know that some may not share consensus with me, but to me the school is asking you to suboptimize yourself. Competitive university admissions do look at your activities outside of your transcript. If a school is impeding your ability to participate in them they are also impeding your academic future.

Also, I believe that "distracting" is a very poor excuse to deny an interpreter and I am certain most people would agree with me on that point.

No one. But the school implies it by focusing more on the football team and other sports than the rest of the other students and their studies
No. That isn't what any of us were saying. By law, for education, interpreters have to be provided if they're stipulated for in an IEP, etc. But as far as activities/sports that may be dependent on financing. I really don't know the extent on that. But your school is not implying it by focusing on football rather than education - quite the opposite.

Hmmm, have you tried talking to your peers and have them also stand up for the right you have on having an interpreter? That avoids going through ADA and may also open he director's eyes that the people in the band don't consider it a distraction. This could be as subtle as just anyone asking them what happened to your interpreter...

Hmmm, have you tried talking to your peers and have them also stand up for the right you have on having an interpreter? That avoids going through ADA and may also open he director's eyes that the people in the band don't consider it a distraction. This could be as subtle as just anyone asking them what happened to your interpreter...
That's a great idea! I have band tomorrow afternoon so I'll definitely try that.

Ah! I get what you're asking for now. Sorry, I had it read wrong. Meike's idea is great!

Ah! I get what you're asking for now. Sorry, I had it read wrong. Meike's idea is great!

*looks for Meike*
*can't find her*

@Muse Sorry my pet peeve with any non Dutch speaking / signing people :p

Back