Interpreter dress code

Reba said:
I get paid weekly.

Dang...I get paid maybe every three to four weeks depending on where I work.

Interpretrator said:
Dang...I get paid maybe every three to four weeks depending on where I work.
We used to get paid every two weeks but our scheduling and accounting is soooo automated on the computer now that the whole process is quite speedy. I get my schedule on-line at home, perform the assignment, click "done" on the schedule, and away it goes to the accounting service. Every Friday the money is in my direct deposit account, and the printable record is in my email. Occassionally there are glitches, but for the most part it works quite well.

Liebling:-))) said:
What do you mean?

We can deal with our doctors ourselves if there´re little things like flu, blood test, cough, etc etc.

I get terps when there´re a BIG and RISK.

I will be back with my more answer later. (I´m going to fix the breakfast for my family now). :D
Of course it depends on each Deaf client. Some insist on having a terp for every appointment. I can understand that. Suppose you go to the doctor and you think that you just have a cold and sore throat. Then pow! While you are at the doctor's, he discovers you actually have throat cancer. Wow, maybe you want a terp there at that moment. See what can happen? A simple appointment can become complicated very quickly.

Or you go for a "simple" blood test, then discover it comes back positive for HIV. You should have a terp there.

But that is your choice. You are not forced to use a terp.

Reba is right, I would want an interpreter present at the doctor's appointment. I have had a hard time going to the eye doctor because he is my mom's cousin and he talks too fast. I didn't want to "hurt his feelings" if I asked for an interpreter. I'd prefer an interpreter to be present so the doctor appointment would go smoother with less embarrassing moments of not understanding what the doctor is asking me about. It is important doctors can ask their Deaf clients questions and get answers to correctly diagnose illnesses or symptoms, that is where the interpreter comes in.

going to the eye doc is the ONLY time ill drag mom with me to terp cuz its really very simple and she also knows of my phobia to the glaucoma pressure tests :o

any other docs i go on my own with a terp provided or not depending on WHAT the appt is for

I have a regular school interpreter and she is always happy. She dresses very well (not too professional or distributed) and I am glad that she is my interpreter because she has a good heart.

Recently we had Deaflympic in Melbourne, and they hired Interpreters for Auslan, International sign language, ASL, BSL, etc, all of them wore same black t-shirt and black pants/skirt. It is easy for us to find them at the Deaflympic.

Few months ago, an interpreter came to my daughter's school, on her arrival, she take her gold bracket off in front of me and put in her handbag, because she said it is hard to concentrate on the signing.

I don't pay attention what interpreter wore in the past, as I am happy as it is.

We are lucky to have two different interpreter agents (or maybe more I am not aware of), Government and Doctors foot the bills here in Australia.

I agree with you Cheri.

Hi Cheri,
Has long as the interpreter doesn't dress weird thats fine.
I'm an interpreter myself.
They should dress nice, in nice comfortable chothes, and not alot of jewerly, like danging earrings, or bangle braclets.
A deaf student I got a interpreter fired at GWC cause she was always playing with her long hair or her jewerly.
The other deaf students told me also.
Margie
Dir. of Communcation Services
OCDAC

Margie said:
...A deaf student I got a interpreter fired at GWC cause she was always playing with her long hair or her jewerly.
The other deaf students told me also.
That seems rather harsh. Couldn't someone counsel the terp to change her behavior rather than firing her?

This is my terp wardrobe for this semester. It includes safety goggles, mask, and purple "scrub" smock. At least I don't have to wear the mask all the time. :)

Attachments

• TERPV1a.jpg
    TERPV1a.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 21
Reba said:
This is my terp wardrobe for this semester. It includes safety goggles, mask, and purple "scrub" smock. At least I don't have to wear the mask all the time. :)

You seem to always find a way to hide your face in your pictures! :)

Banjo said:
You seem to always find a way to hide your face in your pictures! :)
Ha, ha, yeah, but this one is for real!

I only wear the mask when the fumes are too strong, ugh!

Interpretrator said:
Reba, for real?? Good lord, it must be like interpreting in a fishbowl!
For real. However, it is not that way every minute. They use chemicals at different times throughout the day.

The air does get bad. Hot, stinky, irritating. I go outside for fresh air breaks as often as possible.

Unfortunately, the students use chemicals that they spray away from them, which means it all gets sprayed towards me since I am facing them. I keep my goggles on most of the time when they are using chemicals. I've had some close calls.

Maybe I should request hazardous duty pay, ha, ha.

reba, you are so funny! my school interpreter never wear any of safety clothes and the teacher assign 3 people to work together with me.

rjr2006 said:
reba, you are so funny! my school interpreter never wear any of safety clothes and the teacher assign 3 people to work together with me.
I am exposed to hazardous chemicals during the lab class, so I and all the students wear protective clothing. The students also wear gloves, but I don't because it is harder to sign that way.

One student didn't wear gloves yesterday. Now that student (hearing) has awful burns on the hands. Ugh!

wow! that reminds me of dry ice lab and the student was fooling around with dry ice and he kept holding it in his BARE HAND, and then he had blue, swollen hand! ouch!

Interpretrator said:
When I hear stories about interpreters showing up dressed inappropriately (pink and yellow shirts??), wearing tongue studs, etc., I have to assume they have not gone through an interpreter training program (ITP).
Now I DON'T mean to stereotype people who haven't gone through an ITP as unprofessional. I know many excellent, professional interpreters who did not have professional training.
But in ITPs it is usually drilled into students what to wear and how to appear. We are made very aware of this and also why it is important.
Unfortunately just because you went through an ITP doesn't mean you will dress professionally. The mentor I had for my internship rarely dressed professionally IMHO. Big rings, dangly earrings, patterned outfits , sandals. I was more professionally dressed in my black pants and solid dark colored polo shirts (elementary school) I asked about her attire and she told me it didn't matter as we were only interpreting for 2 kids at a time in a close situation. Just held my tongue.
I am hard of hearing as well and some situations need an interpreter. If someone showed up dressed the way she dressed I would have asked for her to be replaced. My eyes would go crazy with her dress.
I interpret at my church and have one low vison deaf member so I always wear dark polos and slacks or skirts. It is hard enough for her without making things harder.

Reba said:

wow :lol:

It's hard for me to understand you if you hide your face when you just sign for me.

I need terp.'s movement face/mouth with sign.... Just sign... impossible.

Liebling:-))) said:
wow :lol:

It's hard for me to understand you if you hide your face when you just sign for me.

I need terp.'s movement face/mouth with sign.... Just sign... impossible.
Sometimes I am stuck. If they are using dangerous chemicals, or if we are in a sterile medical environment, everyone is required to mask up. Usually it is not for a long time. Not like a whole lecture or appointment. Sometimes the chemicals are so strong I really could use a respirator instead of just a mask, but that is not possible.

Back