Interested Hearing person...please help me

I was born hearing....

Wow, reading all the comments on how u became deaf. I know in my case, its very different from others. my family are hearing... I was born hearing until about 7 weeks old or so, I got beaten up by my father repeatly... (he killed himself after he beat me up and threatening to kill my mother with gun) within abt a year or so, my mother eventually figure it out that im deaf, and took me to audiologist with her sister at 14 months old. My mother was sad and same time excited to learn sign language and more about deaf community.

~Kiz

o0obluemoon0o0 said:
Wow, reading all the comments on how u became deaf. I know in my case, its very different from others. my family are hearing... I was born hearing until about 7 weeks old or so, I got beaten up by my father repeatly... (he killed himself after he beat me up and threatening to kill my mother with gun) within abt a year or so, my mother eventually figure it out that im deaf, and took me to audiologist with her sister at 14 months old. My mother was sad and same time excited to learn sign language and more about deaf community.

~Kiz
That sad to hear. Glad that you're getting by well though. I was born hearing too. I had ear problems and my mom didn't take care of me properly. I was put on medication but my real mom didn't follow the medication properly, so I became even more sick... making me deaf. Because of this, she was reported to social services and I was put in foster care. Now, I'm adopted and living a wonderful life! :thumb:

o0obluemoon0o0 said:

~Kiz

You mean your father beaten you up when you were only 7 weeks old?.. :ugh:

^Angel^ said:
I'm a deaf person from a hearing family, I have three sisters, one of them is deaf , two hearing and a hearing brother....I lost my hearing at the age of 5 due from illness....I can talk , sign and read lips...I only sign to my twin sister but do talk to my family....

I'm also a single mother of 3 handsome hearing sons....they do know alittle sign language!...

Sounds like your family is really hearing in a deaf world!
:3some:

And ummm, is that smiley supposed to be naughty or what???? :crazy:

Im fully deaf. My mum contracted german measles whilst she was pregnant with me (she didnt know she has contracted the measles and she didnt have the vaccination as well).
When I was born... of course, my parents was shocked and disappointed that Ive became deaf.

Ive been thru ups and downs with my parents and as well with hearing ppl because of the communication. Mum taught me to speak and lip read... so I grew up speaking and lip reading a lot in and out of home. I also can sign AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language), mainly to deaf ppl and other hearing ppl who can sign.

I must admit there are lots of frustration with "speaking" communication btw my parents and myself. The only person who understands my talking very well is my mum... than my dad :S

sharlie

^Angel^ said:
You mean your father beaten you up when you were only 7 weeks old?.. :ugh:

Yeah he beated me up when I was only 7 weeks old. actually my mom said she thinks he beat me up before then, too. cuz she noticed theres bruises on my body, she ask my father what happened, he always make excuses like I fell off the couch or hit myself on head in the crib, or something like. this always happen when shes down in the basement doing laundry. the last bad situation she actually saw the whole thing, she told me that my father held her away from me, kept beating on me, putting gun to her face, told her push him, he'll kill me and her.. So my mom sat on couch cries, was so scared. they put me to bed, I kept crying all night until early in morning, my mom didnt get any sleep, she took me and left quietly around 4-5 am, walking around, dazed, doesnt know where she is. eventually she went to police station, told her story,t hey took us to hospital and put us in protection care. My dad came looking for my mom, never questioned abt me whether if Im ok or not. My mom and I hide in small room, and police tried to get him. but few hours later, they found him dead in car by the park. My mom said that he blames my mom for not having son. My father is a nutcase. He was so obbessed with me, yet he beat me up, and beat my mom up, blaming her for not giving her son. U know, I hear this story from my mom, and reading my medical report, and little newspaper clips from 22-23 years ago what happen to us. I pray that it'd never happen to me. In a way Im thankful for what I have now, and who I am today. Ladies, if u see any bruises on ur kids, or have seen ur bf or hubby, do not put off leaving him. He may end up killing u or your children... My mom and I could of died that nite. when I was only 7 weeks old.

Wow, reading alot through.. I can imagine what it is like for those hearing parents with deaf kids.. Never easy.. I grew up only one deaf in my large family. My mother can't use her hands to sign language.. She was very frustrated.. Even though that.. But I did decide to learn how to reading lip. Her hands so swollen and in pain daily until she passed away.. I did reading lip since I was very little girl far as I can remember. I was able to sign and talk same time to her as I read lip her.. My sister and I had our home sign.. I know nothing of ASL until I was around 15 years old.. First time go to deaf school.. My father forced me to go. He wants me to able to communiation other deaf people.. So, every weekend I come home.. I taught my father what I learn those ASL. I am glad that my father did forced me to go to deaf school even at first I didn't wants to go.. After 2 years later.. I can't wait go to back.. I graduated at deaf school.. One year after my father dead.. I am sure my father have proud of me for not give up. My sister was bit off when she found out there different and better sign language.. So, she learn from me as other deaf people. She wants to able to talk to me. She and I are only left in our family right now.. We are very close..

wolfleopard

a summarization of my story

deaf, hearing parents
born hearing, spinal mengitist when i was abt 4
only deaf member of family
recieved a CI at age 7 but stopped using it about 13
Fluent in ASL, lipread and talk only when needed as i can't talk that well

feel free to PM me:)

Bluemoon,

Geeze, I'm sorry to hear what you've been thru, there's one thing to say about this is you are very lucky to be alive today....I can't believe your father had actually beaten you when you were just a baby, a small body like that, boy, that's awful thing to do....*shaking my head*...

I am profoundly deaf, comes from a fully hearing family, your welcome to question me with PM and i will answer any questions

Back