Input needed and appreciated!

marcyp06

Reaction score
A typical scenario in the hearing world (be it at a playground, mall, school, etc) is a mom yelling her childs name to get their attention. Sometimes its "Time to go home!" Sometimes it's "Watch out, there is a car coming!" Parents of deaf children are not able to simply give an instruction this way. They must stay closer to their child, or rely on their child looking to them more often. Most Deaf children are more observant by nature, but ANY child, once they are distracted by something highly interesting, forgets their surroundings.
Working with Deaf kids of all different abilities, I have realized the need for an easier way to get their attention. I have searched around to find a vibrating pager system with a remote control. This is the only thing I have found so far: Vibrating/Chime Receiver with Push Button Transmitter Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language
As you can see, its not really kid-friendly. Since my searches have lead me mostly to dead ends, my next logical step (im not really a logical person!) was to try and invent something!
Here's where i'd like your input. I am around Deaf kids at work as well as at home. But I am only one person. I need to know if others would find this useful, and what they like or dont like.

Ideally what I would like is a vibrating bracelet. They make cute vibrating watches, so I know the size is possible. I would like a transmitter that is either a small pendant button, or a secondary bracelet for the parent. When the push the button, the childs bracelet vibrates, and the child is taught that the vibration means "come find mom" or whoever.

Ok.... am I on to something here, or way off base?

Back