Inline 6 vs V6 (gasoline and diesel)

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a discussion about inline 6 and V6 engines. I noticed that older vehicles have inline 6 engines but they replaced them with V6 engines. I don't really like V6 engines because of reliabity issues in general. What's your opinion on the changes?

That, I am not sure about it. I had inline 6 on my Jeep Cherokee and I can say that it is far better than V6.

That, I am not sure about it. I had inline 6 on my Jeep Cherokee and I can say that it is far better than V6.

yeah, the older Toyotas had inline 6 and they replaced them with V6. These are Toyota Land Cruiser, Cressida, Supra etc. Nissan Z280 and the earlier 300ZX had inline 6 and the later models used V6 like the 350Z. I believe the older SUVs and trucks had inline 6 as well.

V6 is low emisison than I6. Almost all V types are less oil than inline. That's mean V8 5.9L need 5QT and I6 5.9L need 12QTs. Also I6 is very heavy weight than V8 due long crankshaft.

Why you rather diesel V8 than diesel I6?

In-line 6 engines are more smoother than V6 engines. Now I see more V6 engines to replace the inline engines due to shrinking bodies (down size vehicle). Newer 2011 MY (Model Year)with inline 6 engines are found in BMW. I am not sure about GM inline6 engines maybe Chevy Trailblazer or Hummer H3 with 4.2L inline engines.

V6 is low emisison than I6. Almost all V types are less oil than inline. That's mean V8 5.9L need 5QT and I6 5.9L need 12QTs. Also I6 is very heavy weight than V8 due long crankshaft.

Low emission than I6 engine is not issue but I would agree with you. V6 engines emits fair emissions most HC and CO, I6 engines with the intake/exhaust manifolds on the same side of the cylinder heads, are known for high NOx because the exhaust manifold heat up the intake manifold where the incoming cold air enter the heated runners and cold air becomes hot air and causes degrade the fuel mist to vaporize and lack amount of fuel meter into the cylinders that creates lean condition and causes high NOx.
Nissan 3.5L V6 oil capabity is smaller abt 4 qts oil. MBZ 3.2L V6 have about 7 qts oil.

I6 crankshaft can be lighter than a V8 crankshaft. The forged steel V8 crankshaft is heavier than an I6 crankshaft. Depend on what the engine come with cast iron or forged steel crankshaft either.

Diesel I6 engines are better.

Low emission than I6 engine is not issue but I would agree with you. V6 engines emits fair emissions most HC and CO, I6 engines with the intake/exhaust manifolds on the same side of the cylinder heads, are known for high NOx because the exhaust manifold heat up the intake manifold where the incoming cold air enter the heated runners and cold air becomes hot air and causes degrade the fuel mist to vaporize and lack amount of fuel meter into the cylinders that creates lean condition and causes high NOx.
Nissan 3.5L V6 oil capabity is smaller abt 4 qts oil. MBZ 3.2L V6 have about 7 qts oil.

I6 crankshaft can be lighter than a V8 crankshaft. The forged steel V8 crankshaft is heavier than an I6 crankshaft. Depend on what the engine come with cast iron or forged steel crankshaft either.

I don't really know whole engines of oil capabity yet.

My wife's Rabbit is 2.5L I5 and it's 5.8QTs.

Grr, I mean I6 is heavy than V8 as they are SAME type of metal.

Yes, I agreed with you about Diesel I6 engines are better. I don't understand why DHB rather V8 diesel than I6 diesel.

Remember all those Chevy 2.8 litres in Cherokees? I think that was one of the worse V6s made for Jeeps. I seem to remember they were also available in S10 Blazers before 4.3 vortecs came out. I'm out of sync with 2010 vehicles. One of my friends has a Jeep Patriot. Cannot remember if Jeep still makes 4.0 now.....

Yeah, I noticed that I6 uses more oil than V6

No, I never said that I rather V6 Diesel than V8 Diesel. Perhaps you were confused between my two vehicles :giggle: Cherokee is my wife's Vehicle and my wife finally got hang of driving my Diesel truck. She have no choice because I am not allowed to drive as per Dr. order and Cherokee is too rough for my back surgery. My truck is luxury and drives like Cadillac which takes easy on my back. Whew!

V6 vs. Inline 6: Pros and Cons | iSeeCars

The V6 Engine.

Pros: More compact, less costly to produce, allows for added interior space.

Without the V6 engine, cars would probably still be roughly the size of battleships. The increasing demand for interior space and a more maneuverable vehicle make the V6 a solid choice for manufacturers. They can fit the same power (or fairly close to it) engine in half the space, allowing for the extension of interior legroom and good bit of added front end snipped off the nose. They also take less overhead to produce. This, in theory, should bring added savings to the buyer. That’s not always the case, but there’s nothing wrong with dreaming.

Cons: Slight loss of power, susceptible to vibration, harder to service.

The Inline-6 Engine

Pros: No vibration, less complex, more powerful.

Traditionally, the inline-6 has been a more reliable engine. Whether this is due to dynamic balance or just the simplicity of design is a mystery. What is true is that they are far easier to work on, and not just because of the added space in the engine compartment, though that helps. The firing order of an inline can only go one of two ways, either from front-to-back of the engine or back-to-front. Since the cylinders are all lined up in an even number, vibration is also nullified. They have a reputation of being very sturdy engines as well. Some of the older Dodge inline-6 cylinders would leak up to two quarts of oil per week and still run for hundreds of thousands of miles (as long as you kept filling them up).

Cons: More expensive to manufacture, less interior space, don’t fit into most newer cars.

Hey Highlander, I never said that. I had I4 Diesel and love it. Yes it was VW Jetta Diesel. The only thing I wish is without Turbo that is it.

I do not mind smaller engine. the problem is that Ford only offers V-8 Diesel in their North America truck production. If I had chance and money I would eye on VW rabbit pu truck diesel, they got I4 Diesel and has 11 gallon which yields 600 miles on a tank.

Yes, I agreed with you about Diesel I6 engines are better. I don't understand why DHB rather V8 diesel than I6 diesel.

I am not sure and I think does not matter which one V6 or I6 diesel engine since both use a lot of engine oil. Mind you, my V-8 diesel requires whopping 15 quarts of oil! That is more than 3 times the average oil capacity for gas engine.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

I knew it about the pros on I6 engines. I don't care much on cars with shorter front end, its not much of a difference to me. BMWs still use I6 and even the new chevy trailblazers.

Cost factor doesn't make sense to me. If the straight 6 is simpler, why does it cost more to produce compared to more complex V6 engines?

The Chevy Colorado truck uses inline 5 cylinder instead of V6 as well.

Last edited:
I used to work at metal machine shop, and I can see why. Since I-6 is longer which means requires bigger CNC machines and it cost a lot more. It may or may not be the cause of higher cost. Also, if it is heavier, meaning need heavier duty robots and it will add to the cost to manufacture them.

Today, almost all of the engines were machined using robots and computers. That is why today they are well built and has less requirements for break ins.

I knew it about the pros on I6 engines. I don't care much on cars with shorter front end, its not much of a difference to me. BMWs still use I6 and even the new chevy trailblazers.

Cost factor doesn't make sense to me. If the straight 6 is simpler, why does it cost more to produce compared to more complex V6 engines?

I used to work at metal machine shop, and I can see why. Since I-6 is longer which means requires bigger CNC machines and it cost a lot more. It may or may not be the cause of higher cost. Also, if it is heavier, meaning need heavier duty robots and it will add to the cost to manufacture them.

Today, almost all of the engines were machined using robots and computers. That is why today they are well built and has less requirements for break ins.

Ah I get the picture.

Yeah, I noticed that I6 uses more oil than V6

No, I never said that I rather V6 Diesel than V8 Diesel. Perhaps you were confused between my two vehicles :giggle: Cherokee is my wife's Vehicle and my wife finally got hang of driving my Diesel truck. She have no choice because I am not allowed to drive as per Dr. order and Cherokee is too rough for my back surgery. My truck is luxury and drives like Cadillac which takes easy on my back. Whew!

Oh really? You must confused yourself.
11111ki.png

Your words said "I'd rather Strokin than Cummin!"

Did you know that "strokin" is diesel V8 and Cummin is diesel I6?

Hey Highlander, I never said that. I had I4 Diesel and love it. Yes it was VW Jetta Diesel. The only thing I wish is without Turbo that is it.

I do not mind smaller engine. the problem is that Ford only offers V-8 Diesel in their North America truck production. If I had chance and money I would eye on VW rabbit pu truck diesel, they got I4 Diesel and has 11 gallon which yields 600 miles on a tank.

There is Dodge with Cummins which it is I6 engine.

The Chevy trailblazers is discontinuation btw.

I6 engines with the intake/exhaust manifolds on the same side of the cylinder heads

I never knew about that from gasoline. I don't like that idea for same side due pain in ass to repair in the tight space.

For Diesel engine, the intake manifolds and exhaust mainifolds are each of side.

Back