in tears today..

wubbie2steps

Reaction score
Does any one wear ReSound Azure mini-BTE? i am considering purchasing it b/c Starkey CIC is USELESS! in 8 months of purchase i have the circut changed, numerous sound adjustments..just 3 wks ago i had it turned up and still struggle on a daily basis..

What hearing aids would you recommend for 67% loss L 55% loss right.. if need be i will scan and post my last hearing screening.

trying to hold onto new school counseling job until i am eligible for tuition free college (plan to get 2nd masters in instructional technology)..let's just say it was a very bad hearing day and only my 5th day on job:tears:-- I try so hard to prove myself at the new job.. frustrating when i can't understand what people are saying.. happened over and over today.. came home in tears.

:mad: why do audiologist suggest CIC when they are not powerful enough!! i would rather people see the hearing aids and HEAR than struggle for the pursuit of "cosmetic excellence".:roll:

wubbie, I can feel your frustration about not able to hear people at work. I sure hope you can get the proper hearing aids to help you daily and you will be happy again. Hang in there!

You can go to most hearing aid manufacturers sites and if you have your audiogram, you can see the specifications for each hearing aid and you will know if it fits your particular hearing loss.

Well, most more then mild losses don't respond well to the dinky aids. Seriously......the only reason why the baby aids are on the market is b/c of vanity.
Everyone's hearing loss is different, and believe it or not every hearing aid is different too. You really gotta experiment with different brands and types.

That is real sad about your struggles. I think most of us can say we've been there at least once. I suggest trial some different ones for sure. Yes, and I suggest BTE just because more power and maybe even possibilities for even higher amplification adjustments should your hearing aid change. I truely hope you are able to find a solution and do not be afraid to shop around try more than 1 HA and/or audiologist.

what about using sign language at your job?

While Shel90 offers a valid option, I do wonder (without knowing your true background) that the local accent may be exacerbating your "hearing" problems?

Well, most more then mild losses don't respond well to the dinky aids. Seriously......the only reason why the baby aids are on the market is b/c of vanity.
Everyone's hearing loss is different, and believe it or not every hearing aid is different too. You really gotta experiment with different brands and types.

I agree with deafdyke. You really need to try different ones. That is what alot of people do when their hearing aids don't work for them at my work. Each hearing aid is different for each person I believe.

While Shel90 offers a valid option, I do wonder (without knowing your true background) that the local accent may be exacerbating your "hearing" problems?

That is a very valid point. I wonder if that wouild actually do it. :hmm:

How many different Audiologists have you seen? It may be just an Audiologist who isn't as knowledgable as others.

only 3 .. 1 per each state i have lived in since i got aids in 2004.. i will shop around this time more.. but how do you know you have a good audiologist and not just some one out for $$$$.

thanks everyone and Shel 90.. i work at a typical hearing elementary school.. i'm trying to hold on and take some classes, get a 2nd masters in instructional technology.. but i have to be in TX for a year for free school.. i am so ready to take sign language but once again $$$ is an issue.. I have to struggle along for the next 2-3 years until i get that 2nd masters and then i can relax in my job. I'm thinking if i ever get worse I'm at a computer and they can type their questions to me.
oh and the "Texas accent" is very hard to find in Austin.. i have had maybe 4 people total that have that "Texas twang"

Well, I don't know much about Texas environment. Maybe you need to go to Texas Vocational Rehabilitation Center and ask the counselor to help you get sign language (ASL) classes and also help you find job if you can not understand your employees and other people around you. They can help pay for your interpreter and sign language class. If you are attending a mainstream college or school, then you need to brush up your ASL so that you can get a interpreter for your school. Otherwise you need to talk to your teacher that you don't understand what other students or employees said. I know you have tried different hearing aids and none seem to work for you. You have to look at your audiogram and see if that is really low on your scale, otherwise your hearing aids are not going to help you and you have to accept that. That is my opinion. I hope I am making myself clear to you (understanding me). I guess you have to rock the boat to try other ways to get there and make your life better and satisfaction. :hmm:

Does any one wear ReSound Azure mini-BTE? i am considering purchasing it b/c Starkey CIC is USELESS! in 8 months of purchase i have the circut changed, numerous sound adjustments..just 3 wks ago i had it turned up and still struggle on a daily basis..

What hearing aids would you recommend for 67% loss L 55% loss right.. if need be i will scan and post my last hearing screening.

trying to hold onto new school counseling job until i am eligible for tuition free college (plan to get 2nd masters in instructional technology)..let's just say it was a very bad hearing day and only my 5th day on job:tears:-- I try so hard to prove myself at the new job.. frustrating when i can't understand what people are saying.. happened over and over today.. came home in tears.

:mad: why do audiologist suggest CIC when they are not powerful enough!! i would rather people see the hearing aids and HEAR than struggle for the pursuit of "cosmetic excellence".:roll:

Awwwhh, I've been there. I struggle alot when it comes to having a hard time understanding what other people are trying to tell me or talk about with me. My dad; espically him; talks alot and i would say: "slow down you're talking too fast for me to understand" and he would say: "I'm not talking fast" and i would end up arguing with him. My mom and my dad told me if my teachers are talking too fast, and my interpreter isn't there for the day at school, i would raise my hand and ask her/him to stop and slow down and say it again for me please. And If the teacher has a problem with that; I'd go to my parents and my dad would call the school and solve this problem out. My dad told me plenty of times: "If they have a problem with you not understanding on what they're talking about. I'll call them and give them a piece of my mind." which happens sometimes around my school. My interpreter was not there at school rarely. But whenever she's not there and I need an interpreter. my school wouldn't call for a sub. Which made me upset and my dad call the school once again. But, If you ever had a hard time understanding what other people are trying to say to you; Don't be like me as being the shy,not confident,disappointed one. I want you to go up to that person and ask him/her if him/her could repeat it again to you and explain that you're having a hard time hearing today if you're on a bad hearing day. And, Plus, I'm sure that they won't mind doing saying it again. :D

Hmm, with your level of hearing loss, I'd stay away from anything that is hidden or comes in any color other than "plastic zombie flesh" (honestly, who has skin that color?). Pretty aids do not work. Get the biggest, ugliest and most powerful aids you can.
When you do an audiogram, don't press the button (or tap on the glass) unless the beeps are loud enough to make your jaw vibrate!

Hi guys I am new here. Just registered. Btw I am using Starkey Destiny 1200. Does anyone use that brand. I used to own Siemen Music Pro too. Well deaf and hearing impaired sometimes can find job some can't depending on the situation. Take things at a time.

I am wearing two Starkey Davinci PxP hearing aids, and they are pretty good. I love a Widex brand, but I cannot afford it.

I agree with Celticty's comment.

You should try out with several brands every two weeks. It depends how long you want to wear before you make a final decision in a 30-day free trial or maybe a little longer. You really have to make sure that an audiologist has a certification or Ph'd degree to run in the business.

A few companies, for example: Belton hearing aid shop, does not required to have a certification. That's why you have to be careful and especially if you have a Medicare that meet the requirement. The Belton hire anyone to work there, and they teach them in a basic stuff because they are not professional audiologists - unfortunately, it is a legal in most states.

I understand your frustration. I used to wear a CIC. It did not give me any benefits. I now were two BTE, Unitron Elements. There are still many days when I cannot hear or more specifically understand people in my job. I suppose that one of these days it will affect my keeping that job.

but how do you know you have a good audiologist and not just some one out for $$$$.
Avoid Beltone and Miricle Ear like the very devil!
If there is a school for the Deaf nearby, maybe look into getting audilogical services there.

Thank you all for your helpful replies!
yes! there is Austin school for the deaf near by.. i hope their school hours aren't in sync with my school's hours or else i can never visit.

I really like education (holiday are groovy:laugh2:) I am just trying to hang in there until i can get that 2nd master in Instructional Technology..(it would be great when i get that job i won't have to struggle to hear, i will teach teachers the computer and they can type their questions on their computer for me to answer! Heck i might just get a hearing dog to walk the school and teach a class about hearing impairments.:cool2:. oh but that's the future so far away i'm just trying to struggle for today.)

I guess i will try the mini-BTE Azure. I will look into ASL classes (dang that Austin School for the Deaf website is NO help!) but for now..i need to "hear"-if you can call it that- enough to understand meetings, do guidance classes, understand lil' kinder kids, etc..

Can anyone suggest a particular brand?-right now BTE Phonak and BTE Resound sound good!

Back