Implants: Bad thing?

MattyinAus

Reaction score
Gidday everyone.

I still wear hearing aids. However, just wondering what limitations of wearing the implants? Does it stop from you to do anything as you used to do before that being installed?

no, it doesn't stop me to do anything

you just need to be careful about the external parts - but that's same with hearing aids; you should also avoid hits to implant area, but to be honest - hitting the head isn't quite healthy for everyone, not only the implanted ones :D
and there are some restrictions for scuba diving and 'violent' sports like wrestling, box etc.

Gidday everyone.

I still wear hearing aids. However, just wondering what limitations of wearing the implants? Does it stop from you to do anything as you used to do before that being installed?
Not really....
What kind of things are you dong now?

"Townsville, Australia" sounded familiar... I know a girl living down the road (actually, 2 roads.. A6 & A2) from you in Mount Isa that has bilateral CI and is doing gymnastics... Lots of movement going on there... LOL...

She goes to Townsville for mapping... Should be good information over there...

Gidday everyone.

For your information, I do not have CI but my hub has it.
From my understanding that you can do anything if you had a CI but just a little alert on the side note. Same idea when you wear your hearing aid, and someone try to hit your ear. You do get hurt on your ear from hearing aid. Speaking of CI, I dont have CI but It can be same feeling so hurt or more. Just think that the metal all stuff inside your head that may take a more caution. Overall, it should be ok as long as you put some alert in it. My kids accidently hit my husband head and it did hurt. He taught them not to touch his head again. They stopped knowing that he really mean it.

Gidday everyone.

Which implants are you talking about? Esteem implant or the cochlear implant? One is where you can swim and take a shower while it is on while the other you cannot.

actually with the Neptune from Advanced Bionics (cochlear implant), you can swim/shower/get wet with it on, no problem.

I've had my cochlear implant turned on for 2 months, and I've been happy with it so far. Whole world still sounds weird and electronic, but it's still sound (I implanted my left ear, which was my dead ear, so there's been no sounds in the left year for ages until the implant was turned on). It hasn't stopped me from doing anything, but then again, I don't really do much active activities or anything like that. I have showered and bathed with the Neptune processor on, just to see what the sounds were like.

cdmeggers, nice way of putting out how your curiousity of sounds...it would be interesting i guess, but for me id never had a CI, thats just me, yeah, maybe once every couple year i id actually leave HA on when i have a bath just to hear water, its really different something i dont *think* about but it kind of like tastin what hearing people's experience i the bath*

G

I've just been curious with all of the sounds and exploring and all that. Yesterday I heard a drop of water fall from the faucet, splashing onto a plastic tupperware container in the sink. I heard that little drop hitting the tupperware, and I thought that was quite exciting. Just being able to pick up on those little sounds and finding out what the sounds are, it's been a fun journey for me. :)

Gidday everyone.

I imagine the same restrictions that go for hearing aids. Simple things like using an umbrella or hat in the rain, a scarf/hat in extreme cold, wearing a helmet for some active sports that you might not have thought of using in the past. Being super cautious if you are walking on ice (having fallen on ice while I had normal hearing, that is my big concern). Remembering to take it off when the need arises (better to be cautious). I got caught in a downpour with no umbrella/hat and lost sound for a while in one processor. Had to take it off, removed battery and dry both parts off. I should have known better and taken them both off and stuffed them in my purse..live and learn.

with the implants from Cochlear and AB (not sure if Med-El's implants are water resistant), one can get caught out in the rain and not worry too much about the devices getting too wet as they are water resistant (unless the Neptune from AB is in it's waterproof set-up). Even hearing aids are being made to be water resistant nowadays.

Just have to be careful with static electricity (like don't go down plastic slides with the implant processor on, as there's the potential for the MAPs to be wiped cleaned from the processor). Doing sports? Wear a helmet as so not to possibly get hiT in the head right where the implant is

Yeah my second one messed up my ability to be upside down.. do a flip/ go on a roller coaster which I used to love. I get sick and nauseous for hrs if i do any of that. Also had to give up snowboarding. can't spin around in a circle either without same effect... I would get it taken out if it would fix the issue. no problems with the first one I got

Yeah my second one messed up my ability to be upside down.. do a flip/ go on a roller coaster which I used to love. I get sick and nauseous for hrs if i do any of that. Also had to give up snowboarding. can't spin around in a circle either without same effect... I would get it taken out if it would fix the issue. no problems with the first one I got

second?

As I have had my Cochlear Implant almost 5 years-thus a "bit of experience". Not much different than when I had Hearing aids almost 40 years.
Most of the thoughts expressed above-reasonable.

Do you have Menieres? Also, how long have you had the 2nd implant for?

I did have a bout of dizziness about 2 months after surgery that just went away on it's own. It felt like being drunk.

Hopefully your issues resolve themselves with time. What has your physician said about it?

No, it hasn't stopped me from doing anything. The only difference from a hearing aid is that the BTE processors are not anchored by an ear mold.. so if you are going to ride a roller coaster then you would want to ensure it's secured somehow or remove it for the ride. Off the ear processors like the Neptune are anchored by the wire so you have more freedom.

Bilateral. It's the only way to have a second one while still having the first one. They don't put two implants in one ear.

Umm, I know that? I thought you said you know ASL. I believe southpaw knows purrfectly I am asking him about his second CI. :ugh:

Umm, I know that? I thought you said you know ASL. I believe southpaw knows purrfectly I am asking him about his second CI. :ugh:

Never said I know ASL. I said I know sign language. Enough to get by if I must. Even in the unlikely event that I'd be forced to be deaf, it would be useless to me since I live in the hearing world and that would not change other than in extreme circumstances.

You seemed confused by what he meant by "second." So figured I'd apply logic and help clear that up.

Never said I know ASL. I said I know sign language. Enough to get by if I must. Even in the unlikely event that I'd be forced to be deaf, it would be useless to me since I live in the hearing world and that would not change other than in extreme circumstances.

You seemed confused by what he meant by "second." So figured I'd apply logic and help clear that up.

Thats okay. I was saying, " second", means I did not know that southpaw have a second CI or bilaterial in ASL. Last time you said you knew sign language that is where I assume you know ASL. Anyway, I agree that it help to clear that misunderstanding up here. :)

Back