Imagine you are told...

martyns

Reaction score
on your next visit to your audiologist that there is a make of ite's that is suitable for you to wear with your hearing loss, instead of your bte's. On a scale of 1 (definitely not) to 10 (yes, I would much prefer them to my bte's) would you agree to your audiologist's suggestion? Have you.in fact, worn sone ite's, before settling on bte's? Do you think that there ever WILL be a chance of you wearing ite's?

On a scale of 1 - 10, I give you a 2.

I wore ITCs for 10 years before going to BTEs about 6 years ago. I would never want to go back.

I have never worn in the ear aids as I have only had my one aid for a year and a bit but I wouldn't want that aid cuz i think it's just ugly and I can't have fm with it and I can't have anything smaller than the ha that sits in the ear due to my ear canals being so small, not enough room for the hardware. I love my bte so I shall stick with that:)

1 - I actually like a BTE over anything else ( I could get an ITE or CIC for my one side, but I don't want it)

Generally ITEs aren't powerful enough for more then mild losses.
I prefer BTEs ALL the way!

i actually requested BTEs before my audi told me that i wasn't really eligible for ITEs anyway lol! they offer way more options "look wise" but also you can use an FM system and loads of other stuff...granted i haven't gotten them yet (still working on that) but i currently have one open fit aid and am definitely glad i didn't go with just a ITE!

bte all the way. Years ago when I was told I needed aids, I begged for ITE because I was embarrased for people to see them. I was told no as my loss was too bad for ITE's. After wearing them my attitude changed. I would think that this is what I need to help me hear so if somebody doesn't like em, don't look at them.

Adam

I don't understand the terminology. Can someone explain more.

BTE=Behind the Ear-behind the ear mic that connects to an ear mold inside of the ear
ITE=In the Ear-fills the "hole in the ear" as i like to call it-no tubing or piece behind the ear, just fits snugly inside of the ear
ITC=In the Canal-small one that goes really far into your ear canal-can barely see it-nothing behind the ear or tubing
Open Fit=small bud with tubing goes into ear canal, connects to a small behind the ear "pod" microphone-pretty invisible
CI=cochlear implant

I had a pair of CIC's, but I find that people will ultimately notice them anyway, thus they get more attention because people are curious to know what they are. The CICs functioned well, but having a smaller battery means battery life is too short. The CICs also tend to become blocked more frequently, so eventually you may have to send your CICs for servicing if there is too much blockage, thus spend more $$$.

I now have a pair of "ITC's", but they do not completely cover my ears, though they do sit on the base of the inside part of the ear. From what my audiologist told me, my current HAs are one step up in size from the CICs. Anyway, I find these HAs very comfortable to wear (sometimes I forget I am wearing them), and they have a longer battery life than CICs, and less prone to blockage.

The only downside with my model (its from ~2004), is that I have to manually select telecoil function when I need to use the phone. But, overall, I find that they work ok.

I think my next pair of HA, will be the super thin BTA - providing they are capable of functioning with my level of hearing loss. The main reason for my change, is because these "new" BTA's look modern, and may work better when using the phone.

Back