I'm new to alldeaf.com

supertbone

Reaction score
I am new to Alldeaf.com. Just to give some info about myself, my name is Jonathan and I live in Southern California. I am hearing but I have some life long conductive hearing loss. I have two sons, one deaf and one hearing. My wife, who is hearing, has a MA in deaf education from Utah State and has ties to several deaf residential schools through out the nation. Recently after my son was diagnosed with severe hearing loss, I decided to learn ASL at a local college and have my wife tutor me. We are working to teach our little one to sign aswell. Unfortunatly he does not seem to pick any of it up. Hopefully overtime he'll learn.

Hey Jonathan welcome! Glad to hear more from you! :D

I'll continue to enjoy your extra posts around AD. Have fun here and happy postings!

I am sure your little son will learn how to use signs as he might find it important to use signs to communicate with your deaf son.

My youngest brother was the stubborn of all when it came to learning signs...however, today, he is over 18 yrs old and signs with me. :D

Welcome to AD2! :thumb: I'm sure your children will learn sign language with time. It doesn't happen overnight or just immediately.

May I ask how old your children are?

Originally posted by supertbone
I am new to Alldeaf.com. Just to give some info about myself, my name is Jonathan and I live in Southern California. I am hearing but I have some life long conductive hearing loss. I have two sons, one deaf and one hearing. My wife, who is hearing, has a MA in deaf education from Utah State and has ties to several deaf residential schools through out the nation. Recently after my son was diagnosed with severe hearing loss, I decided to learn ASL at a local college and have my wife tutor me. We are working to teach our little one to sign aswell. Unfortunatly he does not seem to pick any of it up. Hopefully overtime he'll learn.

Welcome Jonathan to AD! Hope you enjoy going through all the threads and prerusing the stories people have posted and all. :) :wave:

I'm in Australia, but originally from California -- born and raised in Santa Rosa. :)

Cheers!
Goldie

P.S. I have 2 step children, one son - age 15 and one daughter, age 13. The son, Daniel, is profoundly deaf. We converse in a mixture of Australian Signed English and Auslan (Australian Sign Language) :)

Cheers again,

Goldie

Cool another cali person here!!! welcome to AD and you will have lots of fun here. pretty soon your children will be on AD too!!

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
Cool another cali person here!!! welcome to AD and you will have lots of fun here. pretty soon your children will be on AD too!!

Exactly where are you from, BabyPhat21? I'm from Santa Rosa...Did you go to CSDF by any chance or mainstreamed? Just was wondering, smile.
I sometimes miss living in California. Miss all my friends and my family there. :( *sniff* Hey, I had to make a decision on whether to move to Australia and be with the man I love or stay back in Santa Rosa and miss out the opportunity.
I don't regret moving to Australia because I truly do love my hubby and the country's gorgeous!

Goldie

Back