I'm new and thought I would say Hi.

justagirl

Reaction score
I'm 29 years old I'm basically completely deaf in my right ear, moderate to severe in my left. I was born hearing, lost my hearing at the age of 1yr. Deafness runs in my family (only males) this is not what caused my hearing loss. I have had many ear surgeries in my life more than I can count. But thanks to a bilateral tympanoplasty I was able to hear some again. Although my ENT said it wouldn't last forever and it hasn't...as I am now almost completely deaf in both ears again, I have been grateful to what I have been able to hear in my lifetime (even if a lot of it did sound garbled most of the time :P). I just wanted to stop by and say hello and look forward to meeting new people. :wave:

Last edited:
welcome to Alldeaf, I'm moderate-severe in both ears with my 3rd set but I'm severe with the 2nd aids LOL :3

Sorry you lost your hearing. I think, in your lifetime you will probably regain it again, just my opinion.

Welcome

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. It's really great to meet you all. I'm really enjoying reading all the post and getting to know people. Growing up in a very small town for the first several years of my life, I was the only deaf student. Some of my classmates though were kind enough and actually took up learning how to sign. So it's really nice to come here with other people who are like myself. My husband is a hearie and we have two children, a son who is 3 that is extremely HOH and a 3 month old daughter who is a hearie. Talk about a blended family. :D I would love to get to know more about everyone.

Thanks again for welcoming me! It's great to be here.

Sorry you lost your hearing. I think, in your lifetime you will probably regain it again, just my opinion.

Welcome

Why is that a bad thing? She's not late deafened......she's never known what it's like to process sound as a hearing person. Hearing like a deaf person isn't worse then what a hearing person hears, it's just different.

Why is that a bad thing? She's not late deafened......she's never known what it's like to process sound as a hearing person. Hearing like a deaf person isn't worse then what a hearing person hears, it's just different.

Thank you deafdyke. I am very happy with who I am. If by some miracle I become hearing wonderful, (it would probably be far too loud for my taste though...LOL) if not I am completely happy in my muffled world. :D

From the original post, the op states she is deaf in one ear with moderate loss in the . So, yes, there is a difference. She's had hearing, but it didn't last.

From the original post, the op states she is deaf in one ear with moderate loss in the . So, yes, there is a difference. She's had hearing, but it didn't last.

OH MAH GAWD. She has never heard like a hearing person. The hearing that hard of hearing people have isn't even CLOSE to what hearing people hear. That is extremly audist to assume that hoh=hearing person hearing.
Yes, it's not the same as absolutely no hearng/no speech perception hearing.....but even most D/deaf people have quite a bit of residual hearing.

OH MAH GAWD. She has never heard like a hearing person. The hearing that hard of hearing people have isn't even CLOSE to what hearing people hear. That is extremly audist to assume that hoh=hearing person hearing.
Yes, it's not the same as absolutely no hearng/no speech perception hearing.....but even most D/deaf people have quite a bit of residual hearing.

I believe you are talking about culture not hearing ability. One can hear perfectly, but still not fit into the culture.

I'm talking about the fact that you could at one point listen to music or carry on a phone conversation(yes, the way hearing people do) and then no longer have that ability. So, yes, I'm sorry for the loss.

You, may not be sorry for the loss or think there is a loss, but that is your opinion. And, it is insensitive to think that it does not matter. It matters very much to a lot of people.

I believe you are talking about culture not hearing ability. One can hear perfectly, but still not fit into the culture.

I'm talking about the fact that you could at one point listen to music or carry on a phone conversation(yes, the way hearing people do) and then no longer have that ability. So, yes, I'm sorry for the loss.

You, may not be sorry for the loss or think there is a loss, but that is your opinion. And, it is insensitive to think that it does not matter. It matters very much to a lot of people.

You are right it probably does matter to a lot of people. Honestly it doesn't bother me because I spent so much of my life being deaf. What little hearing they could restore was very minimal and wasn't really anything to write home about. (yes as a child it was exciting to me) It was enough to pick out some music notes, so in that way yes I could hear music to a degree by not fully. I still like music to this day and while I might not be able to hear it I can feel the vibrations and get a sense of how it would sound. Also what little hearing they restore only allowed me to be able to pick out a few words when people spoke and some other frequencies...

Sorry if I came across wrong. But I am perfect okay with what I have or haven't got. And you are right who knows if they will figure something out one day, it's good to look at things that way I suppose...but to also be happy with who and what you are. :)

Back