I'm deaf and it's okay because.....

RonJaxon

Reaction score
Please bare with me a moment while I explain why I decided to start this thread. I recently watched a show about a family who had a child with diabetes. The parents where so scared about this. One thing they did is show the family that many people have this condition and live a happy life. Then they show that a famous person who has diabetes sent them a video message. The message was basically that he also has diabetes and it's okay. You can still live a happy, active and fulfilled life with it. I thought this was a great message to receive.

So I thought a similar message to people who are deaf, HOH or have just lost a degree of hearing to get a similar message.

So imagine you are sending this message to a person who has recently became profoundly HOH or deaf. You want them to know that it's not the end of the world and there are many others out there who are or have gone through it too and they have found a way to live with it. To still have a fulfilled life.

I'm deaf and it's okay because

I'll share one just to get things started.

I'm deaf and it's okay because I don't think about it every hour of the day. In fact there are only small moments that it really even effects me and there are plenty of other ways to get past those moments. If I can't understand what someone is saying there are other ways of finding out such as having them repeat it, write it down or get someone to translate it for me. But I don't always need that. I've learned other ways to tell what they are saying such as lip reading. Most of the people in my life I can understand well enough where I hardly need any help at all.

Ron Jaxon

I'm deaf and it's okay because I can do anything a hearing person can do, and usually I can do it better (except hear, of course :D).

I'm deaf and it's okay because: G_D don't make no junk. We are all special and unique in our own way. Just because we can't hear or have trouble hearing does not mean we are not a full and capable person. We can all rise to the situation and be the best me we can be and no one can take that away from us.

... because love exists independent of sound and the ability to hear it.

I'm HOH and it's okay cause it's introduced me to a community of great people and I have made some very good friends in just a short period of time thanks to my being HOH.

I'm HoH and it's okay because I love myself and I wouldn't change it for anything!!

Thanks, Ron for making this thread, I have a friend who just became deaf and she's suffering. I'm gonna translate this to her so shw can understand how great our life is without sounds :)

I'm HoH and it's okay because I love myself and I wouldn't change it for anything!!

Thanks, Ron for making this thread, I have a friend who just became deaf and she's suffering. I'm gonna translate this to her, so she can understands how great our life is without sounds :)

I'm Deaf/HOH and it's okay because even in the silent periods of my life, I'm never alone or lonely.

I am Deaf and it's ok because it certainly won't kill me. Although it is inconvenient at times.

I'm deaf and it's okay because I don't have to listen to your mickey mouse bullshit so just email me! :)

I'm deaf and it's okay because it makes me who I am. I would not be this shy and quiet person without deafness, I would not have the amazing friends I have, both cyber and in real life.

I'm Deaf and it's okay because it has given me an identity, a community, a language, a culture, and the ability to turn off my ears.

I'm HOH and it's okay because all the children I have taken care of think it's ordinary for an adult to not hear okay. They think any hearing problems are cool. As my (adopted) 3 year old says it's cool cause I get to turn off my ears.

I can relate to this topic at some level

Let me start saying that I don't know what it's like to be deaf or hard of hearing because I can't, I'm a "hearing" person. But I can relate at some level because of my own condition. I won't explicitly say what it is--I've been scarred even by my own family.

I was born with my condition; I function like anyone else in this world; I'm highly educated and hold a professional job. However, my condition still (in 2010) has a social stigma. When one of my family members found out about my condition, he viewed me as if I'm defective--genetic mutant if you will. Several weeks ago, an acquaintance of mine and I realized that we both have the same condition. We instantly bonded and had a conversation about our experiences for more than two hours--he, too, does not discuss about his condition to anyone willingly. He, too, was hurt by his friends and family in the past.

Why must we feel this way? Whether someone is hard of hearing or Deaf or what I have, it has no bearing on who we are as a member of this society. We do not adversely affect this society in any shape or form.

I am who I am and I do the best I can to live this life. I hope one day, we are only judged by the content of our character not by "perceived" disability rooted in ignorance.

Not hijacking the thread ....BUT :giggle:

Everytime I read "I'm deaf and it's ok..." I keep thinking of the Monty Python skit "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK!" :laugh2:

Resume with the good posting...TY

Back