I'm deaf and it's okay because.....

I'll add another.

I'm deaf and it's okay because it's given me a way to stand out in my profession as a magician. Although I'm not the only deaf magician out there. In fact there are even "Deaf Magician Organizations and conventions". But I'm one of the few who use my deafness as part of my acts. I'm know around the world as "The Deaf Magician". I use subtle humor about it to put my audiences at ease and also to raise awareness of deafness. There are people out there who are not use to being around deaf people. They are not all bad people. Some people just have never been exposed to it and aren't sure exactly how to act around us or how to communicate with us. So when they see a deaf person standing in front of an audience expressing humor about it. It eases some of those issues and allows them to relax. Because of this I've meet many people because they felt more at ease to approach me and ask questions. When they get answers it's much better then when they keep wondering. In short it's okay because it's a part of me that has made me who I am and given me a unique status in my profession. And a chance to be in front of audiences and say, "I'm deaf and it's okay."

Ron

I'll add another.

I'm deaf and it's okay because it's given me a way to stand out in my profession as a magician. Although I'm not the only deaf magician out there. In fact there are even "Deaf Magician Organizations and conventions". But I'm one of the few who use my deafness as part of my acts. I'm know around the world as "The Deaf Magician". I use subtle humor about it to put my audiences at ease and also to raise awareness of deafness. There are people out there who are not use to being around deaf people. They are not all bad people. Some people just have never been exposed to it and aren't sure exactly how to act around us or how to communicate with us. So when they see a deaf person standing in front of an audience expressing humor about it. It eases some of those issues and allows them to relax. Because of this I've meet many people because they felt more at ease to approach me and ask questions. When they get answers it's much better then when they keep wondering. In short it's okay because it's a part of me that has made me who I am and given me a unique status in my profession. And a chance to be in front of audiences and say, "I'm deaf and it's okay."

Ron

:cheers::applause:

I'm deaf/HoH and I wouldn't change it if I could. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to hearing loss. When visiting my daughter at her university hall of residence, the person in the next room was making a lot of noise at night, but I didn't hear a thing. When going to bed at night I feel it is a blessing, knowing that you are going to have a quiet peaceful night, no matter what! My daughter, who is hearing, on the other hand has had to invest in some earplugs.

I am deaf and it's okay because I was very glad to found a sign language class after high school in 1966 which sign language had opened the door for me. Thank goodness for that. I enjoy signing in the Deaf communities. Of course, I had struggled with many obstacles with hearing people including my hearing family, but it was worth the battle to get through them. I love Deaf Culture very much. It is sooo good to be Deaf. :applause:

... because I am inspired by amazing people like bebonang here. If I can handle things with half of the determination and grace as she has, I'll be ok.

im am ME and it's okay because: i'll just turn you off if you dont agree, go to bed and get a good nights sleep, and stare at that ugly mole on your lip without worry b/c you think im just lipreading ;)
*EQL*

I'm deaf and I'm OK with that because that is who I am. It's not a bad part of me or a good part of me. It just is.

I'm HoH and it's ok because it's made me stronger, more patient, and more open-minded. I have other 'issues', but I believe in the laws of nature: Those what can adapt, will survive. Those what can't get eaten by those what can. I can face anything, because I know nothing can beat me unless I let it.

:D I'm deaf and it's ok because it has given me a different perspective on life. I'm crazy sometimes. Good crazy, I mean. LOL.

:devil:

I am Deaf and its ok. Because it has given me much appreciation of life and the things that so many people take for granted. It has also given me empathy for others that struggle within the realms of our society. :P

I'm not deaf, but if I were to lose my hearing, I'd probably take some time to deal with it. Eventually I'm pretty sure I'd say "I'm deaf and it's okay because there are infinite things to experience in this world and I'll never have enough time in this life to experience them all. This is where I am now, other people are in the same place and live wonderful lives, so why not me? I can dwell on what I can't experience any more, or I can look more closely at the things that I haven't experienced yet, the things I will experience, the things I may be forced to experience before I learn to see their beauty and value."

I am deaf and it is ok because there is a great Deaf community and I feel proud to be a part of it. :aw:

I am deaf and that's okay cuz Catmandu, Shel, and Frisky Feline said so! :D

being hoh is ok because it doesnt cause pain like my arthritis does. Being hoh helps me sleep better whereas my arthiritis keeps me up all night.

I'm more than okay.

I'm Deaf and it's more than okay. I'm still a smart woman who now has an asset and not a disability which to me are just words & labels. I even hand out earplugs to show people, hey this is my world and its more than okay.:deaf::fruit:
It took me a while to get this far. So much anger even at myself but I'm now over that because it is okay and if people don't like it, then its their problem not mine.

I'm so happy now that I've learned that there are others who were born deaf/hoh/late deaf. (me late deaf) deaf and they are all so helpful. So I try to teach. I wish to thank this website to thank for that.
Thank you everyone. I don't stop in much but when I do I read as much as I can. alldeaf.com has been a big help both psychologically & sociologically.
Mickey (Michelena):cool2::cheers::gossip::dance::applause:

I'm the mother of a late-deafened adult daughter and it's okay because she's still a whole person, with a whole mind, a whole soul, a whole spirit, and a whole family who loves her! :wave:

Back