I'm Back! With Another Intepreter Problem... Help!!!!!!

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

I'm now in college and I'm attending Ohio University (In athens Ohio) but I have a major interprter issue. This is worst than the one I had in high school (if you look at my previous threads from 2008-2012, you'll find it)..

I need help researching some proofs about my right to replace an interpreter and how I'm allowed to request interpreters, etc. But I'll explain the story with what happened.

So, School started on August 22nd here at Ohio university. Oh boy, when I got back to OU, things have changed MAJORLY. I'm basically cleaning up the mess that this interpreter caused (i am not going to name this interpreter).

So, I'm going to try and stay calm as I write this, This interpreter has caused me a lot of stress, worriness, physical and emotional breakdowns. I am pretty furious with this interpreter right now. This interpreter has been very controlling, very bossy, and very mean. She talks about other interpreters and other clients in front of me in the classroom. She interrupts my other interpreter's interpreting (I have 2 interpreters in my classes because they are 3-4 hours long), by feeding them signs. She basically tattletales on the other interpreters trying to steal all of the appointments from them and also changes her words around to make the other interpreters look bad to the point where the employer will fire that person. She will often say that these interpreters that I have are playing 'favorism' and trying to 'butter me up' so that I would pick them to become my interpreter again for whatever class that I have. In no way are the interpreters that work with me are doing that. I have friends who are interpreters and I would hang out with them, she would report them to whoever they work for and get them fired. I can't even hang out with my friends who doesn't even interpret for me (or HAS interpreted for me) because of her saying its 'too unprofessional'. She complains a lot and is very grouchy a lot. A lot of interpreters have quit or refuse to interpret because of this specific person. Ohio University keeps saying that there are limited interpreters, but the real reason is because those interpreters quit because of this person. She also showcase herself as if she was 'Queen interpreter' and acts like she knows what's best for the deaf client, or for all of the deaf clients.

I actually got into an argument via text with this interpreter after I was blunt to her about how I did not appreciate her attitude towards me in the classrooms by giving me stinkeye or mean glares in front of my professor and classmates, and I also was blunt to her about how I did not appreciate her correcting my signing. And I told her that she cannot argue with me if I got confused by her signing because she has signed a lot of words wrong (she signed Britain as gay, china as communist and many other words) and she argues with me saying that 'they are the same thing' and continues signing her way instead of adapting to my signing styles. I reported her to my accessibility services and they would not replace her but give her a second chance. But my sources told me that OU has given her many chances. My sources also have told me that this interpreter has been a problem for OU for many, many, many years and they still have not fired her. They also told me that if OU fires this interpreter, the interpreter threatens to sue OU because she is contracted with OU. OU does not have an interpreter agency. She is also brainwashing OU into saying that she knows what the deaf community wants and she knows whats best for us, and OU somehow believes her.

The other part is that OU has started a new policy mostly because of her, all interpreters must be certified and they also have to go through whats called a bidding process, from what I heard its very complicated. I can't really explain it because it's way too complicated (maybe someone here can explain it to me again?). With the certification thing, I heard in the state of Ohio, interpreters aren't required to be certified but it is encouraged but maybe someone can clarify to me on that.

The most recent issue that put me over the line was this interpreter has gotten into a arguement with my professor. I left to go get lunch after my class with my professor that I just had class with, and I thought everything was fine until my professor pulled me aside after my last class of the day to tell me that my interpreter has gotten into an arguement with her. The reason why is because my interpreter demanded vocabulary words from my art history class and my professor said no beacuse 1) she didn't want to do that without me based on how i feel about the class if i actually do need the help and 2) she didn't want to add more work to my classmates because we actually do have a lot going on in that class. My interpreter exploded and argued with her and went to complain to my school's accessibility services saying that my professor discriminated me and is not supporting me in the classroom. I was completely shocked by that and I immediately told her that she is in no trouble with me and that my interpreter has no right to go to her and talk to her about my education without my permission. All shes suppose to do is sit down and interpret. This issue happened this past Thursday (9/22/16) She made me feel like I am not smart or that I need help. I have graduated with an associate's degree with a 4.0 GPA and I have been on the dean's list so many times at my previous college and I recieved a scholarship at Ohio University last semester for having excellent academic skills.

Another issue is that this interpreter has told my accessibility services that I want the same interpreters for all of my class, and told the school that she believes that I need 'consistency' with having the same interpreters. I have never requested for that. She is basically trying to use me as an excuse to start drama.

I have tried so many times to replace this interpreter and many deaf students before me had this specific interpreter before and the school refused to replace her. I'm not sure if its because the school is afraid of this interpreter since she threatened the school that she will sue them or not. But I also have another source that told me that she is actually living in Athens instead of Dayton to get more money for travel time. Shes basically scamming the school.

I apologize if my words were kind of random or not making sense because this interpreter just makes me so furious I can't get my thoughts straight. I'm just basically putting everything out there from what I know and experienced with this person on this thread, I need to vent out and I need help from my deaf peers about what to do with this situation. She has made me cry so many times, stress, lack of appetite and sleep. I could not focus on my homework on friday and Saturday because of her. I do not want the next student who is deaf, to come in and have the same issues that I am having. I honestly don't know what to do or how to get this interpreter fired or replaced based on her attiude, her lack of professionalism, her steping over the line, etc. I have already asked my mother to help me and support me in this situation. I have already printed out the Code of Ethics from RID but I am also looking for other resources that basically explains that I have the right to replace an interpreter whether the school has a limited amount of interpreters or not, basically saying that they need to respect what I ask and just do it instead of making up excuses.

That's all I have for now. I'm not looking forward to be going to my class. If you have any advice, tips, resources, anything, I would very much appreciate it. I need all the help I can get because this is honestly approaching emergency status.

Thanks.

Wow, that's a mess!

I didn't have time to read all the details (it's past my bedtime) but I want to make a couple of comments. I have more later.

I've been a college interpreter, and I'm familiar with a state bidding process. It's a big red-tape headache requiring tons of paperwork.

If that bad terp is certified by RID you can file a complaint with them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DKvZMflFLdenFidFljVG5LUE0/view

Document or record everything that happens or is said.

Whatever you decide to do, don't delay. Some complaint processes have deadlines.

I hope you can get the help that you need.

I was in your same place. My pervert interpreter sounds like your interpreter, but he is far worse. He got away with many things! He sexually harassed me so many times, pretty deaf girls and pretty interpreters. I reported him and he backed off. But it didn't stop him to sexually harass others. He won't interpret everything what the professors said. He summarized it instead. He won't interpret if the professor repeats it.

He still has a job now. He should be fired. I know many deaf students complained about him but they didn't report him, I tried to convince them to report him but they didn't want to get involved. Argh. The interpreter's boss didn't want to fire him because he fears the terp would sue him. Wimp.

Ask any deaf student if they had your same interpreter before. Ask them to document it. Ask them if they reported interpreter. If not, Please urge them. It is the only way to kick her out.

Hi guys!!

I'm now in college and I'm attending Ohio University (In athens Ohio) but I have a major interprter issue. This is worst than the one I had in high school (if you look at my previous threads from 2008-2012, you'll find it)..

I need help researching some proofs about my right to replace an interpreter and how I'm allowed to request interpreters, etc. But I'll explain the story with what happened.

So, School started on August 22nd here at Ohio university. Oh boy, when I got back to OU, things have changed MAJORLY. I'm basically cleaning up the mess that this interpreter caused (i am not going to name this interpreter).

So, I'm going to try and stay calm as I write this, This interpreter has caused me a lot of stress, worriness, physical and emotional breakdowns. I am pretty furious with this interpreter right now. This interpreter has been very controlling, very bossy, and very mean. She talks about other interpreters and other clients in front of me in the classroom. She interrupts my other interpreter's interpreting (I have 2 interpreters in my classes because they are 3-4 hours long), by feeding them signs. She basically tattletales on the other interpreters trying to steal all of the appointments from them and also changes her words around to make the other interpreters look bad to the point where the employer will fire that person. She will often say that these interpreters that I have are playing 'favorism' and trying to 'butter me up' so that I would pick them to become my interpreter again for whatever class that I have. In no way are the interpreters that work with me are doing that. I have friends who are interpreters and I would hang out with them, she would report them to whoever they work for and get them fired. I can't even hang out with my friends who doesn't even interpret for me (or HAS interpreted for me) because of her saying its 'too unprofessional'. She complains a lot and is very grouchy a lot. A lot of interpreters have quit or refuse to interpret because of this specific person. Ohio University keeps saying that there are limited interpreters, but the real reason is because those interpreters quit because of this person. She also showcase herself as if she was 'Queen interpreter' and acts like she knows what's best for the deaf client, or for all of the deaf clients.

I actually got into an argument via text with this interpreter after I was blunt to her about how I did not appreciate her attitude towards me in the classrooms by giving me stinkeye or mean glares in front of my professor and classmates, and I also was blunt to her about how I did not appreciate her correcting my signing. And I told her that she cannot argue with me if I got confused by her signing because she has signed a lot of words wrong (she signed Britain as gay, china as communist and many other words) and she argues with me saying that 'they are the same thing' and continues signing her way instead of adapting to my signing styles. I reported her to my accessibility services and they would not replace her but give her a second chance. But my sources told me that OU has given her many chances. My sources also have told me that this interpreter has been a problem for OU for many, many, many years and they still have not fired her. They also told me that if OU fires this interpreter, the interpreter threatens to sue OU because she is contracted with OU. OU does not have an interpreter agency. She is also brainwashing OU into saying that she knows what the deaf community wants and she knows whats best for us, and OU somehow believes her.

The other part is that OU has started a new policy mostly because of her, all interpreters must be certified and they also have to go through whats called a bidding process, from what I heard its very complicated. I can't really explain it because it's way too complicated (maybe someone here can explain it to me again?). With the certification thing, I heard in the state of Ohio, interpreters aren't required to be certified but it is encouraged but maybe someone can clarify to me on that.

The most recent issue that put me over the line was this interpreter has gotten into a arguement with my professor. I left to go get lunch after my class with my professor that I just had class with, and I thought everything was fine until my professor pulled me aside after my last class of the day to tell me that my interpreter has gotten into an arguement with her. The reason why is because my interpreter demanded vocabulary words from my art history class and my professor said no beacuse 1) she didn't want to do that without me based on how i feel about the class if i actually do need the help and 2) she didn't want to add more work to my classmates because we actually do have a lot going on in that class. My interpreter exploded and argued with her and went to complain to my school's accessibility services saying that my professor discriminated me and is not supporting me in the classroom. I was completely shocked by that and I immediately told her that she is in no trouble with me and that my interpreter has no right to go to her and talk to her about my education without my permission. All shes suppose to do is sit down and interpret. This issue happened this past Thursday (9/22/16) She made me feel like I am not smart or that I need help. I have graduated with an associate's degree with a 4.0 GPA and I have been on the dean's list so many times at my previous college and I recieved a scholarship at Ohio University last semester for having excellent academic skills.

Another issue is that this interpreter has told my accessibility services that I want the same interpreters for all of my class, and told the school that she believes that I need 'consistency' with having the same interpreters. I have never requested for that. She is basically trying to use me as an excuse to start drama.

I have tried so many times to replace this interpreter and many deaf students before me had this specific interpreter before and the school refused to replace her. I'm not sure if its because the school is afraid of this interpreter since she threatened the school that she will sue them or not. But I also have another source that told me that she is actually living in Athens instead of Dayton to get more money for travel time. Shes basically scamming the school.

I apologize if my words were kind of random or not making sense because this interpreter just makes me so furious I can't get my thoughts straight. I'm just basically putting everything out there from what I know and experienced with this person on this thread, I need to vent out and I need help from my deaf peers about what to do with this situation. She has made me cry so many times, stress, lack of appetite and sleep. I could not focus on my homework on friday and Saturday because of her. I do not want the next student who is deaf, to come in and have the same issues that I am having. I honestly don't know what to do or how to get this interpreter fired or replaced based on her attiude, her lack of professionalism, her steping over the line, etc. I have already asked my mother to help me and support me in this situation. I have already printed out the Code of Ethics from RID but I am also looking for other resources that basically explains that I have the right to replace an interpreter whether the school has a limited amount of interpreters or not, basically saying that they need to respect what I ask and just do it instead of making up excuses.

That's all I have for now. I'm not looking forward to be going to my class. If you have any advice, tips, resources, anything, I would very much appreciate it. I need all the help I can get because this is honestly approaching emergency status.

Thanks.

Would you consider asking for CART? That way she cannot work with you any longer. I am sorry this is happening to you. It is clear she is overstepping her boundaries.

Wow, that's horrible.

When I was in university, had an interpreter who is lovely.

But this interpreter started coming in late to my practical class.‎

I had this interpreter 5 times for practical class for first second or second semester (can't remember which) The first two times the interpreter arrived on time perfect, on the 3rd time, interpeter start to come in late.

On the 4th time again late and on 5th time the interpreter didn't turn up. I informed Disability support office at Uni each time terp was late and the day didn't turn up.‎

The Disability support office fired that interpreter as university have got 3 strikes of complaints policy. ‎

Now I wonder if you could talk to your accessibility services.

Explain that you don't want her in any of your lecture classes and tutor classes. You should have rights to have an interpreters that's matches to your levels.

Tell accessibility services, that she doesn't match to your levels and it is making your studies very difficult.

go to the university counsel. document everything with Disability Student Services.

Darnit I lost my post.

Ok, reconstruction time.

1. Go to the professor, have her write down what happened, the problems with the interpreter and sign it. Ask her if she will assist you with your formal complaint.

2. Make a formal grievance in writing with the disability services department https://www.ohio.edu/uc/sas/ You should be able to not have this woman as your interpreter, but she's also gone far far beyond that and that all needs to be written down.

3. Contact the Ombudsperson. This is someone who is neutral and helps you solve problems that you have with the university. They do research and they can mediate it if you like but you don't have to mediate it if you do not want to. https://www.ohio.edu/ombuds/

4. Contact the Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance https://www.ohio.edu/equity-civil-rights/index.cfm because she and the office are denying you your civil rights and equal treatment. On that page there's a link to Diversity and Inclusion, and you can file a report on the incidents where the interpreter was biased. However, I would go to the Equity office first, talk to them, and see if a report through them is more appropriate than making one through the Diversity and Inclusion office.

5. Contact the Dean of Students They ere there to support and aid students. https://www.ohio.edu/deanofstudents/index_old.cfm Contact the Dean, associate Dean and assistants and do it in writing. They are all listed here https://www.ohio.edu/deanofstudents/about.cfm Additionally, contact the Dean of your college. English Lit major? Contact the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Contact the Dean of the English Department. Both are important, both care for how their departments are run and they care about having their students' needs met.

I think I got them all! You have good options and places to make the disabilities office do the job it needs to do.

Last edited:
i would ask the we the deaf people organization to help. they are looking for people with terp issues and such. http://www.wtdp.org/ . they are spreading throughout the usa and have reps in each state. they are really helping people right now.

Back