I'm afraid deaf education is falling apart

Sorry for stirring the pot. Was having a bad day today. Nothing to see here, please move along.

On the upside.....I know that the MOOSE (Magic of Oral and Signing Education) Project in Spokane has added another preschool class. And Scranton School for the Deaf has THREE preschool classes, and will be adding a FOURTH class soon!!!!! There are shimmers of hope! One area that I think really should be pushed and encouraged is day program usage of early childhood (preschool to grade three) placement at deaf schools and programs

On the upside.....I know that the MOOSE (Magic of Oral and Signing Education) Project in Spokane has added another preschool class. And Scranton School for the Deaf has THREE preschool classes, and will be adding a FOURTH class soon!!!!! There are shimmers of hope! One area that I think really should be pushed and encouraged is day program usage of early childhood (preschool to grade three) placement at deaf schools and programs

That is wonderful!

Also, Deaf ed has been struggling big time since 1975 unfortunatly. This isn't new. The same issues are there that were seen in the 1990's. Only difference is that we are more included. (b/c of the GIANT push towards Inclusion)

I was in a special Ed class and there were kids that had all kind of learning disabilities . We had one burnt out teacher for the whole day and was given work below our grade level so the school could say " We pass the class" . This was to save money and time and get us out of the way . The schools don't like to spend a lot of money on students that have LD.
This is still the first thing that get cut in school funding today. It's not only deaf education that fallen apart it's education for all students that have LD. It's up to the parents to made sure their child is getting the help they need , you can't relies on your child's teacher or school to do this . Teachers will just write your child off as being 'lazy' or 'stupid' or just doesn't care about school. It's very rare to have a teacher take the time to try and help a child with LD. I would hope things would be a lot better than when I went to school . Our kids our future leaders , doctors lawyers , presidents etc and deserve the best education there is.

I agree! My youngest son has Aspergers Syndrome (discovered later at 12 yrs old) & did well academically but not socially in the public school system. It wasn't until he developed the co-morbidity of OCD that he was placed in an ED (emotionally disturbed) room. They gave him computer based learning that was mostly self-lead. Reset the assignment or test until he got the required 80%. He learned nothing really.

The next year in HS was even worse. They didn't really listen to what I or my husband had to say; just acknowledge we said something then say why it wasn't feasible or that they'd "look into it". I had enough & withdrew him to do home school. They were so wrong about him. Said he couldn't really cope with more than TWO classes a semester. He did SIX with me & though he made it challenging on many days, he passed them all (one by the seat of his pants!). I'm demanding & he knew I'd flunk his little behind if he slacked off.

Anyway...I advocated. They didn't chose not to listen. But I'm the one with the hearing "impairment".

Last edited:
I agree! My youngest son has Aspergers Syndrome (discovered later at 12 yrs old) & did well academically but not socially in the public school system. It wasn't until he developed the co-morbidity of OCD that he was placed in an ED (emotionally disturbed) room. They gave him computer based learning that was mostly self-lead. Reset the assignment or test until he got the required 80%. He learned nothing really.

The next year in HS was even worse. They didn't really listen to what I or my husband had to say; just acknowledge we said something then say why it wasn't feasible or that they'd "look into it". I had enough & withdrew him to do home school. They were so wrong about him. Said he couldn't really cope with more than TWO classes a semester. He did SIX with me & though he made it challenging on many days, he passed them all (one by the seat of his pants!). I'm demanding & he knew I'd flunk his little behind if he slacked off.

Anyway...I advocated. They didn't chose not to listen. But I'm the one with the hearing "impairment".
Ugh I get it. It's not just the dhh population *looks at a certain person* Special ed in general is messed up. Heck, even regular education is messed up! I'm not sure if a certain person here has missed the debate on reforming regular education. But yeah, regular special ed can be frustrating too....Especially when the child is high functioning and may only require a few tweaks to get a good education!

Did you sign an IEP?

Back