I'm afraid deaf education is falling apart

Deaf ed teacher here and I have seen it all. The language deficiencies come from having minimal access to language and communication in their homes. Then that spills over to their academic lives.

High cost of living here in Bay Area do push Deaf teachers away, and I'm highly concerned about Deaf education in the future at California School for the Deaf, Fremont.

No doubt

Deaf ed teacher here and I have seen it all. The language deficiencies come from having minimal access to language and communication in their homes. Then that spills over to their academic lives.

You've got a tough job. I hope you've got the support you need. If you're here on a site like this, my bet is you're someone who actually cares. That's a good thing. I get tired of seeing people do it for the paycheck.

Csdf

High cost of living here in Bay Area do push Deaf teachers away, and I'm highly concerned about Deaf education in the future at California School for the Deaf, Fremont.
I can imagine! What if CSDF had housing on campus for teachers that couldn't afford to live locally?

You've got a tough job. I hope you've got the support you need. If you're here on a site like this, my bet is you're someone who actually cares. That's a good thing. I get tired of seeing people do it for the paycheck.

I admit...I am burnt out.

I couldn't even do it. Just the idea of being in the job sounds exhausting. I have massive respect for those who do it, so long as they care.

I couldn't even do it. Just the idea of being in the job sounds exhausting. I have massive respect for those who do it, so long as they care.

That s why I have been applying for non teaching jobs for the past 3 years but no luck. I am just so done. I have been doing this for 14 years now.

I can imagine! What if CSDF had housing on campus for teachers that couldn't afford to live locally?

Now that would be a good idea! I think most Deaf schools are in areas that are somewhat affordable.......but in the case of CSDF it's hard......

Actually journeyfree, this isn't deaf ed. The problems aren't coming from the Deaf res schools or the dhh programs. The problem is that kids are plopped into the mainstream or in special ed, and just given social promotion. It still horrifies me, all the horror stories I've seen from kids who were placed in inclusion with the assumption that was the BEST placement......I'll never forget talking with a HOH girl who I thought was well educated.....She still has issues with the difference between boycotted and boycotting?!?!?!? And I mean even those Auditory Verbal superstars (which is a methodology that is supposed to produce really good results) the Chaickoffs were in REMEDIAL English.

Quick question, do you think part of the problem might be inappropreate placement? Like they've gotten rid of deaf ed and the Option Schools are at record low levels.... but there's still a need for deaf ed....does anyone think that a lot of dhh kids are being inappropreatly placed in speech and language classrooms, which tend to serve severe autistic kids?

Agree with the OP. Check out http://www.deafhoodfoundation.org/Deafhood/Home.html

One of the newer issues now is inappropriate placement of students with CI because the schools and "professionals" give the devices too much credit for what they actually accomplish.

AMEN! The cherry picked oralist data makes it sound like ALL dhh kids can acheive such high levels......Some kids may be able to do REALLY well, but most kids still need traditonal dhh supports and education. It's just that they're hidden in special ed.

I think all dhh students should be taught proper English as their first language. ASL can be their 2nd language.

Are you late deafened?

Lost all my hearing @ 6 yrs old. Thats roughly 1st grade. I did have to retake 1st grade due to my illness. Not that I can remember much of being hearing at all. For what it matters, I am 55 now. Hope I do not get banished!! J/K

Oh, yeah..that was in a hearing school. By 2nd grade, they decided to ship/bus me daily to a special ed school (mainstream) w/sign language teachers in certain classes only. No, terps back then.

Lost all my hearing @ 6 yrs old. Thats roughly 1st grade. I did have to retake 1st grade due to my illness. Not that I can remember much of being hearing at all. For what it matters, I am 55 now. Hope I do not get banished!! J/K

At six, you were post lingual ly deafened.

You already knew English.

It's a completely different situation for people who are born deaf.

At six, you were post lingual ly deafened.

You already knew English.

It's a completely different situation for people who are born deaf.

Good save. I dont think so. I had to completedly re-learn to talk, walk and the whole nine yards. It is all about having the proper teachers of all types. That combination, got me to be a honor student, in a hearing middle and high school.

Too often, a born deaffie asks me: are you deaf/hh/hearing? I say, deaf and gv the same explanation as I gv you, they then MOSTLY look down at me thru their nose.

It is a culture thing. Even you, in so many words admit it. Saying, OH you knew English! OFC, I knew English. I read. I studied. I used the dictionary.

Back