Illegal to feed homeless people all over USA

that's great. I'm glad you're able to come out of it. we literally have hundreds and hundreds of organizations and groups dedicated to helping homeless people.

but there are many homeless people who take advantage of freebies. I even see same ones for a few years. homeless people can easily earn at least $100 a day - tax-free. it would be best if people help find them jobs or seek help instead of giving out food or a dollar.

I should have stated this clearly in the beginning - there's a difference between homeless people and panhandlers

Where i am there isn't much help from organizations just kind people. I used to get clothes and food at the church but they only had food once a week. I understand it is very different where you are but where i am there are no shelters. Some nights in the winter it would get well below freezing and i would stand under the outside dryer vents at the 24 hour laundry to keep warm.

I also understand where you are there are lazy scammers but if i had to beg i might come up with 6 or 7 dollars. I usually made almost as much when i collected bottles. I guess my point is don't judge every homeless person based on the scammers that are out for a free life and take advatage of kind people. They disgust me too. Some times you do what you have to even if it's begging strangers for money.

I would rather donate to organizations to help homeless people.

I like giving money directly to the person for several reasons.

First, it gives them some freedom and respect. They don't have to go to an organization that might have a dehumanizing feel for them. Even if unintentional, some places set up to offer help can make people feel really uncomfortable. Even a person who thinks they're being helpful and kind can end up coming off in a condescending way, depending on their sense of things, and the sensitivities of the recipient. So I think it's worth alot for a person to be able to avoid that if they feel they need to. Even though $5 would go much further (in the way of providing food) at a soup kitchen, I like the idea of a person being able to choose to go (for example) to a diner, maybe buy the peace/privacy of stretching out a series of coffees, etc.

The person living this life also gets to choose what they need/want most right now. Maybe it's food. Maybe they need some something for a headache. Maybe there's something they really want that most donors/organizations wouldn't see as important enough, or even ill-advised. I like the idea that the person actually going through the homeless experience is the one who should get to choose what's most important to them, how they'd rather spend a little bit of money. There's so much comfort in having the opportunity to do that.

I think it's good for me to interact (albeit briefly) with the person. It's sometimes painful to see how bad things are for them, and I don't think I should be protected from that. I also like the fact that it forces me to find a way to hand money to a stranger without insulting their dignity. I struggled with that, and finally found a way I really like. I approach them quietly, but with the same tone I'd approach any other person, and hand them the cash, saying "excuse me sir, but I think you dropped this."

Really, I think both things are important: having services available that take organizational funding, and also doing things for people directly. They meet different kinds of needs, and most people have more than one kind of need.

[Edit: I should add that I don't give to panhandlers: I really hate being approached at all, and don't want to reward that. I generally give to people who don't approach me, but are in such clearly bad shape (tattered clothes, rotten teeth, usually with some sort of set up rigged for carrying their sad-looking belongings with them) that I don't think there's any question that they could use some of my money better than I could.]

If you donate to a church some of the money is spend on bibles and that does not help homeless at all.
A while ago I watched TV news about one non-profit organization (name of it?) that was busted for spending donation money on their houses/cars, etc. I don't trust those kind of organizations such as SPCA, Red Cross, ones that are advertised on TV, etc.

A while ago I watched TV news about one non-profit organization (name of it?) that was busted for spending donation money on their houses/cars, etc. I don't trust those kind of organizations such as SPCA, Red Cross, ones that are advertised on TV, etc.

NAD is fine?

I like giving money directly to the person for several reasons.

First, it gives them some freedom and respect. They don't have to go to an organization that might have a dehumanizing feel for them. Even if unintentional, some places set up to offer help can make people feel really uncomfortable. Even a person who thinks they're being helpful and kind can end up coming off in a condescending way, depending on their sense of things, and the sensitivities of the recipient. So I think it's worth alot for a person to be able to avoid that if they feel they need to. Even though $5 would go much further (in the way of providing food) at a soup kitchen, I like the idea of a person being able to choose to go (for example) to a diner, maybe buy the peace/privacy of stretching out a series of coffees, etc.

The person living this life also gets to choose what they need/want most right now. Maybe it's food. Maybe they need some something for a headache. Maybe there's something they really want that most donors/organizations wouldn't see as important enough, or even ill-advised. I like the idea that the person actually going through the homeless experience is the one who should get to choose what's most important to them, how they'd rather spend a little bit of money. There's so much comfort in having the opportunity to do that.

I think it's good for me to interact (albeit briefly) with the person. It's sometimes painful to see how bad things are for them, and I don't think I should be protected from that. I also like the fact that it forces me to find a way to hand money to a stranger without insulting their dignity. I struggled with that, and finally found a way I really like. I approach them quietly, but with the same tone I'd approach any other person, and hand them the cash, saying "excuse me sir, but I think you dropped this."

Really, I think both things are important: having services available that take organizational funding, and also doing things for people directly. They meet different kinds of needs, and most people have more than one kind of need.

[Edit: I should add that I don't give to panhandlers: I really hate being approached at all, and don't want to reward that. I generally give to people who don't approach me, but are in such clearly bad shape (tattered clothes, rotten teeth, usually with some sort of set up rigged for carrying their sad-looking belongings with them) that I don't think there's any question that they could use some of my money better than I could.]

I would give a homeless person some food not money as it will most likely
be spend on booze .

I just saw something on the news about woman collecting money to help people, she helped herself! If anyone call me asking for money I just hang up, I have no way of knowing if it a con artist or not. Red Cross does help people .

Not every area has resources that can provide everything a person needs but in general i agree with this.

why you pay medications if homeless and no money...you working paying your tax....cruel system i think

If you donate to a church some of the money is spend on bibles and that does not help homeless at all.
I can't speak for other churches but in our church if the giver designates what fund the money is for, that is exactly how it is used. Our accounting is strict and outside audited, by choice.

dont you all ask your selves Why did government made this move? what is THEIR motive? especially in high times of the recession in which USA is situated right now.
ask yourselve why? like in the times especially in a boom of homelessness, what is the idea behind it??

rather than 'debating' your beliefs on 'everyday terms' that is fixated on personal values of yours??!!!

dont you all ask your selves Why did government made this move? what is THEIR motive? especially in high times of the recession in which USA is situated right now.
ask yourselve why? like in the times especially in a boom of homelessness, what is the idea behind it??

rather than 'debating' your beliefs on 'everyday terms' that is fixated on personal values of yours??!!!

It's usually about money. They worry that people with money won't want to see the homeless people, so if there are a bunch in their town, maybe those (monied) people will spend their money somewhere else. So they try to drive the homeless away, with the idea that they'll have more money coming into their economy. That's why I think they do it. Why do you think, Grummer?

so...but how do they do it? influencing people, but exactly how does the influencing are linked to money??
and "law"...i mean its strange that america is a very capitalist society...(or not that strange at all in another view)...
yes i did considered what you're thinking before I posted it...but its too simplistic to say "its money"...

my question is more on society values, and it is not "what we REALLY think" its more about what "those in Power REALLY think," put other way, its strategic...they KNOW or actually insults the masses as 'sheeps', and they KNOW how people will operate with a tiny tweak there or here, much like tweaking your windows on your computer, a tiny bit can have big impact, efficiency or does things in a more specific way, thats what government Do for "nations" they tweak and control people with 'laws' , laws is like a 'programming language'" for computers and media (news and current affairs talk-shows) is like "programs that runs on windows", where users (people) can only "see"...er see, and everything else is not seen...

It's usually about money. They worry that people with money won't want to see the homeless people, so if there are a bunch in their town, maybe those (monied) people will spend their money somewhere else. So they try to drive the homeless away, with the idea that they'll have more money coming into their economy. That's why I think they do it. Why do you think, Grummer?

That's pretty much it, well I don't know if it because they're afraid people won't spend money in their city so much as they don't want them blemishing it, big homeless eye sores. The article even mentions that they passed the laws hoping that if people were dissuaded from helping the homeless, and they weren't getting help they'd move along. So they're not trying to take care of the problem itself, so much as they're trying to drive them away so they go be a problem somewhere else, where they don't have to look at them.

Last edited:

The park the homeless people hang out all day is right near the city historic houses and a state court house that historic too. My city does not care that homeless people just about live at the park in the summer . Plus the homeless have a right to live in the park and can't be told to move out.

must be nice living in a luxury with 72" tv and gorging yourself with sodas and hamburgers, criticizing me instead of helping other people.

my friends and I are attempting to organize a meet sometimes later this month or next month to hand out food to homeless people.

Let me know if you need any advice.

why you pay medications if homeless and no money...you working paying your tax....cruel system i think

My doctor used to try to help with meds. Some times i got them for free sometimes they where around $25 a month other times they where $350 a month.

Back