If you mow a neighbor's lawn, you'd need a business license

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was teenager, I mowed my neighbor's lawns several times and no business license was needed. Now this... *facepalm*

A debate has erupted in an Alabama town over whether teenagers who make pocket money mowing neighbors' lawns should pay for a $110 business license.

Gardendale requires that anyone operating a business for pay buy a $110 license, and some would like to see this ordinance enforced with teens cutting grass.

Elton Campbell is the grandfather of a teenager who mows lawns in Gardendale. Campbell told ABC 33/40 that a local landscaper remarked he would report Campbell's granddaughter to city officials if he saw her working because she doesn't have a business license.

"I have never heard of a child cutting grass [needing] a business license," he said.

News about the controversy exploded on ABC 33/40's Facebook page with many of the more than 950 comments expressing outrage.

"Ridiculous!!!!" wrote one. "These days you can hardly get kids to work and when they are willing to, you make them have a license to cut grass!"

"What???? Kids have always cut grass in the summer for extra money!!! At least they ain't out there getting in trouble and selling drugs to make money. This is so wrong!" shared another.

In response to the uproar, Gardendale Mayor Stan Hogeland told ABC 33/40 the city council will come up with a solution at its June 5 meeting.

"I would love to have something on our books that gave a more favorable response to that student out there cutting grass. And see if there's maybe a temporary license during the summer months that targets teenagers," Hogeland said.

http://www.sfgate.com/mommyfiles/ar...-business-license-Gardendale-Ala-11189275.php

That greedy, jealous Landscaper is just mad because teens are doing the work that he wants to do. I'm sure the teens are not making 1/2 of what he charges. It's really nuts!...these teens are not old enough to hold a "business license". I'd tell that Landscaper to stick his equipment where the sun don't shine.

That greedy, jealous Landscaper is just mad because teens are doing the work that he wants to do. I'm sure the teens are not making 1/2 of what he charges. It's really nuts!...these teens are not old enough to hold a "business license". I'd tell that Landscaper to stick his equipment where the sun don't shine.
My guess is they are making a lot, lot less than 1/2 of what the gardener charges but they probably aren't edging the lawn, trimming the bushes and blowing the yard. The gardener is just upset because he has to pay the business license fee and they don't or aren't paying it. Heck in CA the gardener would not only have to pay the business license fee but have a contractors license as well.

Don't think there should be ANY kind of solutions. They're kids- most are under the age of 18. So if the kid is mowing just ONE lawn for money (maybe 10 bucks...) they'd have to get a license? Here in the south many times you'll see people mowing well into the winter months- practically year round if the weather allows for it. My nephew comes over to mow the lawn for his grandparents often (and yes they do pay him) and he's been doing so for a couple of years now.. at least since he was 12. Gotta agree with RR- the landscaper is jealous or something- has to go pick on a kid/teenager....

I agree with RR & DD. Jealous landscaper. Or just someone not minding their own business. And getting jealous over something. Therefore, more taxes, laws, licenses...all because someones "feelings" got hurt. That's why we cannot have nice things or be left alone.

Someone got butt hurt. I never mowed anyone else's lawn, but I did housecleaning and miscellaneous yard work.

I wish they'd named that landscaper. Shame him.

I wonder if the landscaper in question is going to also turn in kids this summer who have no business license and "open" a lemonade stand?

I wonder if the landscaper in question is going to also turn in kids this summer who have no business license and "open" a lemonade stand?
If he did, I'd call him a f**cking moron.

My sister is a garden landscaper and she said she knows practically all local lawn cutting landscapers usually charge 75 dollars per hour per week to mow. Children still mow for 10 dollars to 20 dollars per hour per week. Most of the time children mow I believe are for school programs fund raising, for proms following year, for school trips, for non-profit things such as school projects, trips, proms expenses, and even churches, etc. and family summer trips as far as I am concerned after talking through people for years. They sure do not need licenses but since they do have Social Security since birth as required by law, then a license is necessary. However, 110 I think is too much for just 6 to 8 weeks of mowing during summer not counting after school hours in Spring and fall which may be just 24 weeks total depends on where. Then they need to set about just 10 dollars for a license or just a permit because dealing with lawn mowers, its dangerous because of the blades. Same with snow blowers.

Back