If you found a cure for your hearing loss, would you use it?

If you could, would you cure your deafness (and that of all others)?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

70M70M

Reaction score
One of my friends just said this:

"There is a whole community of people that cannot hear, they are deaf, and would not choose to hear because they have deaf culture. They would look at your hearing ability as disabling."

I don't agree with her.

Whether it's sensorineural and/or conductive—if a complete and total cure were found, would you get it?

Honestly. Deaf culture is a sad sad thing. If everyone could get their hearing fixed we wouldn't need Deaf Culture. Though some cant afford the expenses of somewhat correcting their disability. Keeping people deaf is like preventing someone from regaining sight, or their arm, or their leg. Though there is actually a cure in development today. Chickens have auto-repairing hearing ( don't officially quote me on that ), which scientists are trying to make a cure from. I feel like most hoh and deaf that refuse a ci or an aid are afraid of the unknown or just don't want to waste any efforts. Despite this, I would much rather fix the American homeless problem first rather than the hearing. Or cancer. Being like this is who I am, and not fixing it when I can would be a waste on my capabilities . So yes, I would.

For me personally, it would be interesting to see what having hearing sounds like. Maybe on one ear. But since I am so used to wearing hearing aids and the ability to turn it off. It's scary to know sound can be ON all the time. How do hearing people sleep? Again, one can get use to having it over time.

As for the Deaf culture on the whole and hearing loss that's another issue. It's probably will have many answers. People who are more into the hearing community or don't have access to sign language for whatever reasons are probably will choose the chance to hear again.

As for the Deaf culture, it is rather an interesting community. You must understand its long deep rooted history and a chance for a full Deaf person to fully function in the world. There were no technology in the past it was either this or that. There's an interesting book called The Language of Light by Gerald Shea, in one part of the book that talks about how hearing people felt that sign language was a step backwards because the students at the time developed a group of their own that was separated from the hearing world.

I understand how one feels that you would want to have your sight back again or have your limbs back but there is no communication barrier there.
Even though many have cochlear implants or hearing aids in the past, lots of people may find that signing is easier and quicker way to express your feelings and ideas.

Another thing is that many deaf may have been very isolated in the hearing world, ignored in family gatherings, not explaining things clearly, expecting to understand things naturally when they have not been taught as deaf learn through the eyes not by sound. So by discovering a world of signing and really awesome friends who understands its no wonder why many feel very emotioanlly tied to the deaf community as it is their home.

As for something new like stem cells or something that makes everyone who was deaf the ability to hear again 100 percent it would be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure there will be a culture war on it and the fear of their community disappearing.

It is hard to put the blame on a few bad apple's attitudes/perspectives towards to hearing people to think that all Deaf people act like that. I am sure there are much more nicer and educated folks if you look in the right places.

Great topic!
have a nice day!
Annie

i vote : Yes
o.png

Honestly, no. I am who I am and i'm happy with who i am.
Hearing to me is like having a lexus when not hearing is like having a toyota.

I'm sure the shiny bumpers and the touch screen stereo are nice, but my camry gets me to work all the same.

Wow tough one I’ve only been very hard of hearing for eleven years I’ve still not adapted to it yet it’s a lot harder for others than me I think

One of my neighbors is deaf, and he has a chance to hear again through some special surgery, but he met a deaf woman of his dreams and she became his wife, so he won't go for surgery because he says he will hear again but she can't, so he has chosen to remain deaf..

You didn't give the third option, depends, factors, age, quality, on set (slow, fast), costs, unintended consequences, truebize a well was put in so young girls didn't have to walk to river to fetch water, now they have no time to talk to each other (you know how important it is for young girls to share) And there work load was increased so till I know more, if only two choices I'd have to go with no

Back