If you became a "boss"... would you abuse your power?

Dennis S.

Reaction score
Linked from another derailed thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=13902&page=2

ravensteve1961 said:
Vamp you know how these things work? When you work at a company and theres a co worker you can stand and all the sudden you got a boss promotion. You would fire that co worker you cant stand for so long. If i became a cop id would love to arrest my bus driver. Because he assulted me and no one did anything about it. Its all about power when you become a boss.

Only if you care about your feelings when firing him. What if that coworker is your new boss' friend? You try to fire him, your new boss will want to know why. You may have gotten promoted because you were a good employee, but that doesn't mean you can fire anyone else because you don't like them.

I work with plenty of people I don't like. I still have to be nice to them because they do have strengths I don't have and we all have political connections. I could have fired this one woman who I really don't like because she was ugly and stupid and fat, but she does a good job when it counts.

Anyway, I'm glad you're not a cop. I've got a fraternity brother who became a cop. He wanted to become a cop because he loves sign language and loves being called to situations where he can understand what's happening because someone is using sign. He learned that even if you're above someone and can totally ruin someone's life and hurt them, it's better to use that power to become someone's friend. You never know when they might be in a position to hurt YOU -- i.e., in his field, they're holding a gun at him.

Thirtyfour people have their lives in my hand. I will NEVER abuse the power regardless of their connections, etc.

I dont give a damn about connections.

I give a damn whether they do their job or not.

Period.

If I was a cop...
I would help people, not hurt them.

If I was a boss, I would make the place look fun...
Have sandwiches and drinks... and donuts....
Birthday parties.... alittle exercise, 2 lunch break.

It's not about power. It's about respect. They may not have treated you properly, but it doesn't give you a reason to take advantage of your job and do it to others. That will only make you like them.

I have been a boss for years. When you are in that position, your main goal is to get the job done in the quickest, most economical way possible with the best quality you can produce. Personal grudges and vendettas have to take a backseat to those objectives. Plenty of people have irksome habits, poor people skills, and lack style and good looks. The only time you can let any of that enter into your treatment of employees is when it interferes with attaing the goals. I have seen plenty of businesses go under because of a high turnover rate when management did not respect each and every employee the same, regardless of whether of not they personally liked a person. Some bosses do play power games with their employees, sad to say. And law enforcement does attract some people who like to lord over others. They are usually weeded out fairly quickly.

I am boss for crew 9. I treat all my guys with great respect and they respect me.

:werd:

I usually follow this famous quote... "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

If I was the boss, I will treat everyone with respect..We must remember that each person in the world has a valuable role to fulfill, whether we agree with their way of doing it or not. Like the guys at my job always argue and fight about every little thing, But They do their job as they are required to do. I think its is important focusing on what's best in people, not what's worst. ;)

ravensteve... more likely the co-worker will quit his job if he doesn't like that person who is just promoted to be a boss.

Its VERY RARE that the boss will fire this person if they don't like him/her. because all bosses must have a reason why they termited them.. the bigger boss will want to know why.. and mostly they want a prove or any explaintion (honest) one..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
ravensteve... more likely the co-worker will quit his job if he doesn't like that person who is just promoted to be a boss.

Its VERY RARE that the boss will fire this person if they don't like him/her. because all bosses must have a reason why they termited them.. the bigger boss will want to know why.. and mostly they want a prove or any explaintion (honest) one..
Right. If a person is fired because they aren't liked, it's more likely that the other co-workers will leave with fear that they will be fired if they are disliked.

i am a boss and i treat everyone as if they weree a part of my family, it makes the job and the work place more enjoyable and a fun place to be, everyone enjoys working for me because i make it fun, i also work with them, with is an important part of being a boss, you have to be one with your employees and not above them.. without you employess you would never be able to be the boss, because you would have not business to run you have to have fun with life, in work and in play

Cupcake said:
i am a boss and i treat everyone as if they weree a part of my family, it makes the job and the work place more enjoyable and a fun place to be, everyone enjoys working for me because i make it fun, i also work with them, with is an important part of being a boss, you have to be one with your employees and not above them.. without you employess you would never be able to be the boss, because you would have not business to run you have to have fun with life, in work and in play

Uhhh...she's right, guys. Cupcake is the best boss I've had. :) :thumb: I think she's also nailed it as far as good occupational leaders go. I always have a good time working with her.

:( Hey DeafScuba, your fish disappear... I hope it didn't escape.
Or is it something wrong with my computer?

Sorry Off Topic.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
:( Hey DeafScuba, your fish disappear... I hope it didn't escape.
Or is it something wrong with my computer?

Sorry Off Topic.
ur computer is afraid of my fish.. that's why u cannot see it.. sorry :-/

If I were a boss, I would never have any favoritism with the colleagues. I want to treat them as equal. Important, they do their good performance appraisal and teamwork. I would admire their do a good performance. I would give them a promotion that he/she deserves it.

FYI, I am very AGAINST favoritism at work! :nono:

Well said, Sabrina!

I hate that "favoritisum". I had bad experience over that "favoritisum" at work place. No thanks

I would treat them fair. I want them respect me as the same as I to them. Respect is most important that we make good team.

Back