If there were a cure for hearing loss would you take it

No doubt life is hard for deaf people. That reality will likely become painfully real for me in the next few years. I've never had the occasion to communicate with a deaf person, but you have to interact with a multitude of hearing people every day. It's frustrating in a way I can't yet imagine.

I was specifically addressing the issue of "getting rid of" deaf people. Perhaps I should have replied to the individual who originally brought that up. I apologize.
Getting rid of deaf people. You aren't understanding what is meant. Hoh later in life with hearing aids is not deaf.

Little kids implanted at birth and mainstreamed, that's the elimination of deaf being talked about. It's a huge movement, more so in some European countries than here at the moment.

Getting rid of deaf people. You aren't understanding what is meant. Hoh later in life with hearing aids is not deaf.

Little kids implanted at birth and mainstreamed, that's the elimination of deaf being talked about. It's a huge movement, more so in some European countries than here at the moment.

I figured that's what he was talking about. Personally, I think the Deaf Community will be around for a long time. As I know you're well aware, cochlear implants are an imperfect means of treating hearing loss. They simply don't work as well or at all for a large portion of the deaf. I think anyone who's hearing has deteriorated enough to get a cochlear implant should learn sign language whether they are implanted or not. This doesn't exclude children, of course. It would be cruel to force a child to be completely dependent on a fragile electronic device for easy communication.

ASL is not always the answer for people who hearing has deteriorated , I know older people that had this happen and it would had been useless learning ASL when no one
else they knew ASL or would taken the time to learn it too.

To much is made of CIs curing deafness in children or anyone else. They provide access to sound, how well someone utilizes that access varies. It is just a general rule that children implanted early adapt to CIs better, just like they learn multiple languages easier.

Why cure? I don't need cure to make my hearing better. I am full deaf, I am happy that's all matter with me. One thing, I hate tinnitus in my left ear. I hear noisy in my left ear and it drove me crazy sometime. I am not happy with my stupid tinnitus. It started last November, 2015. Sometime, I get tinnitus but not everyday.

I definetly,positively would,yes. I miss out on so much,my grandkids talking, the sounds of being outside, hearing birds, crickets, thunder,the waves at the beach!!! I wasnt born deaf,i am now so i miss all the things,sounds,and being able to talk on the phone all of it!!

Maybe i will be the only one here with this opinion but why want to fix or cure it? I like being deaf, it's not a terrible thing to be. Of course, I speak from the perspective of a person who has been Deaf all of my life. Being Deaf has given me access to a fulfilling life that I wouldn't have had if I was hearing.

Maybe i will be the only one here with this opinion but why want to fix or cure it? I like being deaf, it's not a terrible thing to be. Of course, I speak from the perspective of a person who has been Deaf all of my life. Being Deaf has given me access to a fulfilling life that I wouldn't have had if I was hearing.

you aren't the only one here with that opinion :). There's quite a few of us who do feel that way.

IMO i would... I am only surrounded by hearing people and its so tough when they are tired of putting up with me.. :cry: People think they are frustrated because of me but I am even more frustrated and using more brain power than them..

On a sidenote, my hearing aids just got an issue again so I have to send it for repair. Sucks living on one side!! I would definitely try the pill to hear how normal hearing people distinguish many people talking at once. I am always awed that they are able to hear other people when all the voices are mixed for me..

IMO i would... I am only surrounded by hearing people and its so tough when they are tired of putting up with me.. :cry: People think they are frustrated because of me but I am even more frustrated and using more brain power than them..

On a sidenote, my hearing aids just got an issue again so I have to send it for repair. Sucks living on one side!! I would definitely try the pill to hear how normal hearing people distinguish many people talking at once. I am always awed that they are able to hear other people when all the voices are mixed for me..
omg,i know how you feel,it is so exausting being around the hearing cause they just cannot comprehend what we go through,i mean they really cant. Yes i do wonder how they can hear 3 different people all talking at the same time and keep up with it all,i cant keep up with one hardly! Sorry to hear about your ha,that really makes it all so difficult,and you just want to hide till you get it fixed. I wear a ha on my right side and the ci on my left its an adjustment for sure. Yes would absolutly love to be able to hear normal,i know im supposed to adjust to who and what i am but as you know its so very hard in the hearing world! Hope you get your ha fixed real soon and get back to your normal!

Sometimes we can't. I have a problem focusing when more than one person is talking. I can handle about 2-3 people talking at the same time. When it becomes more than that it actually becomes confusing and can prevent you from being able to understand or focus on anything. There's actually a method of torture that uses this. Constant, loud, overwhelming sounds can actually drive you insane.

I've had times where I've been in rooms where 2-3 conversations are happening at once and I have to leave because my brain can't handle all that sound.

omg,i know how you feel,it is so exausting being around the hearing cause they just cannot comprehend what we go through,i mean they really cant. Yes i do wonder how they can hear 3 different people all talking at the same time and keep up with it all,i cant keep up with one hardly! Sorry to hear about your ha,that really makes it all so difficult,and you just want to hide till you get it fixed. I wear a ha on my right side and the ci on my left its an adjustment for sure. Yes would absolutly love to be able to hear normal,i know im supposed to adjust to who and what i am but as you know its so very hard in the hearing world! Hope you get your ha fixed real soon and get back to your normal!

Thanks a lot! Yes.. i went for a group outing on tuesday only to find out my right side hearing aids was acting up again.. I wanted to back out from the outing but I knew i shouldn't as it was not a frequent meeting. It was a group of 10 people and i struggled a lot with the imbalance and could only hear their voices mixed into the background noises. I was less chatty and really lost and had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.. so i had to use certain words and their behaviour to guess. But for the most part i was withdrawn. I am always curious because when I played the band in high school, a lot of sounds got jumbled up too...

Sometimes we can't. I have a problem focusing when more than one person is talking. I can handle about 2-3 people talking at the same time. When it becomes more than that it actually becomes confusing and can prevent you from being able to understand or focus on anything. There's actually a method of torture that uses this. Constant, loud, overwhelming sounds can actually drive you insane.

I've had times where I've been in rooms where 2-3 conversations are happening at once and I have to leave because my brain can't handle all that sound.

That sounds overwhelming.. but in groups you tend to have a different conversation going on and I'm amazed that hearing people can handle at least 2-3 people because i struggle with 1 already.. After that i go home feeling exhausted and back into the comfort of the quiet world ;)

Yes being in crowds or groups is so hard,so exausting,hearing people just cannot understand what its like at all, guess thats why i generally had 1 friend i hung out with,not a group,its so much easier keeping up with a conversation with just one person! I know what you mean about getting home into the quiet and calm believe me!

Yes being in crowds or groups is so hard,so exausting,hearing people just cannot understand what its like at all, guess thats why i generally had 1 friend i hung out with,not a group,its so much easier keeping up with a conversation with just one person! I know what you mean about getting home into the quiet and calm believe me!
Awww. When I feel overwhelmed in a group, I just imagine I am in a boat on a calm lake, just fishing. Of course, standing up suddenly and yelling "Dinner!" causes other problems. ;)

Awww. When I feel overwhelmed in a group, I just imagine I am in a boat on a calm lake, just fishing. Of course, standing up suddenly and yelling "Dinner!" causes other problems. ;)
Lol. Is that something that happens often? At the very least, I hope you enjoy your imaginary fish.

I just imagine I am in a boat on a calm lake, just fishing.

That's what I did last week. ;)

20116794_10154848201996309_2504875726019141873_o.jpg

So the question is:

Would becoming hearing reduce the advanced skills I've developed as a Deaf person? You know, the kind that lets me read ultra fast, become a badass shooter, and other stuff?

There is a lot I miss out on being hoh and for me I wouldn't hesitate to take that cure...but respect everyone's thoughts on this as we are all different with our life experiences.

So the question is:

Would becoming hearing reduce the advanced skills I've developed as a Deaf person? You know, the kind that lets me read ultra fast, become a badass shooter, and other stuff?

You might, you might not! You might be less reliant on those skills but it won't be totally useless!

Back