If there were a cure for hearing loss would you take it

Yes, I would. I was born hearing and did not lose my hearing till I was 14 years old. I would love to be able to hear naturally again and not have to struggle at all.

seems we lost all our hearing at the same age....

The pattern that I noticed is that those of us that were born hearing seem to be the vast majority of those that would take it. Not really surprising but I do wish this could have been a pole set up in such a way that the breakdown would show.

I do wish this could have been a pole set up in such a way that the breakdown would show.
What would we do once the pole is set up? Climb it and ring a bell? I don't think half of us could do that. Or maybe celebrate Festivus? :razz: Anyway, it is never too late for you to start a poll for what you were thinking. :)

Last edited:
What would we do once the pole is set up? Climb it and ring a bell? I don't think half of us could do that. :razz: Anyway, it is never too late for you to start a poll for what you were thinking. :)

LOL such a cute way to call my error to my attention! I what I was thinking of was a poll but wrote pole.

HA! Killin' me!! Don't feel too bad Jane. I did the SAME exact thing on a motorcycle forum. Many there are my friends. I took heat for it for days!!! And, honest, I (as you) know/knew the difference. I told peeps my hands type, NOT my brain!! lol

The hearing world has, from the beginning of known history, tried so hard to find a cure for deafness, to make D/dhh people hear like 'everyone else'. I had spent my whole life since I was born, trying to 'fix it', growing up thinking I was never 'good enough'. I'm a survivor from the very beginning, I overcame hard obstacles and became a high achiever. What most people would say an 'Oral Success Story'. However, underneath that facade I just wanted to be able to be ME and not have to work so hard to keep up the pretence that I was the same as 'everyone else'. Accomodating 'everyone else' because it was the 'norm'. I was duped into thinking I had 'mastered the art'. Yet, reality would always rear it's head when I would least expect it and come back and 'slap me in the face' and send me 'reeling' and I would once again have to pick myself up off rock bottom. I had been led to believe there was no other option. Not knowing any other Deaf person, I had thought I had to face the world alone. Until I discovered the Deaf Community in 2009. Yes I was 45 then. Half my life gone, and I had only just come to the realization that I could be myself, there were 70 million around the world just like me! Let us be who we are. We don't need a cure! We need recognition and acceptance of our Sign Language/s and Deaf Culture. Let there be Deaf Education for Deaf/dhh children with Sign Language readily accessible for every child. *Off the soapbox now*

I have to disagree with , I can only speak for myself and no one else , I am very happy I am able to wear a hearing aid and would had been happier if I didn't need to one at all ! I would take the cure in a heartbeat !

I have to disagree with , I can only speak for myself and no one else , I am very happy I am able to wear a hearing aid and would had been happier if I didn't need to one at all ! I would take the cure in a heartbeat !

After reading through the whole thread again... this is the 4th time you've posted. Pretty sure most of us know your feelings on this matter by now. Once would have been enough... :)

After reading through the whole thread again... this is the 4th time you've posted. Pretty sure most of us know your feelings on this matter by now. Once would have been enough... :)
Too bad she won't HEAR you. ;)

I have just read this thread as it has occurred and have not gone back through all posts again. I do get the impression that taking a cure is pretty well divided along the line of those that have had hearing in the past and those that never had it (or for such a short time when so young that they don't remember it). Those that had hearing and lost it seem to want it back while those that never had it don't seem to care to acquire it.

I went back to see if I'd posted - thought I had - and indeed, I did - it one of the first 4 or 5 posts at the beginning, but since the thread seem to re-surface, I'll just add... < and my level is audiologically mild to be honest so I do good one on one or in small groups, but have trouble with the phone, in noise, meeting rooms and other situations, depending on acoustics and can miss some of the small words and consonants>
I'm a very visual-gestural person and have depended mostly on my eyes for understanding the world. I have auditory processing issues related probably to learning disabilities. I would not want to have my hearing changed back to how it was when it seemed I was hearing.

I personally wouldn't take the cure...
I like it that you are speaking only for yourself , I feel each person should speak for their self about this , there is no right or wrong answer here . It all depend
now how a person feel about being deaf or hoh .

Interesting how she only singles out Casey. Just about everyone else has stated THEIR own personal thoughts in this thread that I could tell. Their own personal feeling. At least that's how I saw it.

Selective hearing...or vision in this case.

I like it that you are speaking only for yourself , I feel each person should speak for their self about this , there is no right or wrong answer here . It all depend
now how a person feel about being deaf or hoh .
Honestly, I've been deaf/hoh all my life... I don't know the difference. I've never had hearing, and I'm so well adapted. The sooner you accept yourself the happier you'll be.

Interesting how she only singles out Casey. Just about everyone else has stated THEIR own personal thoughts in this thread that I could tell. Their own personal feeling. At least that's how I saw it.

Selective hearing...or vision in this case.
Well, probably half of the people who posted are on her ignore list anyway.

Honestly, I've been deaf/hoh all my life... I don't know the difference. I've never had hearing, and I'm so well adapted. The sooner you accept yourself the happier you'll be.
I been hoh all my life too and this has nothing to with me happy or not ! I just would rather be able to hear and not have to deal with people when out that think I am being rude b/c I can't hear them trying pass me in a store . Some jackass almost knocked me over b/c I didn't hear him. I see nothing wrong with want to be able to hear better.

I been hoh all my life too and this has nothing to with me happy or not ! I just would rather be able to hear and not have to deal with people when out that think I am being rude b/c I can't hear them trying pass me in a store . Some jackass almost knocked me over b/c I didn't hear him. I see nothing wrong with want to be able to hear better.

you've stated it in this thread multiple times....

Back