If there were a cure for hearing loss would you take it

I have oticon and I paid for the streamer so I can do this. Best thing ever. I can make phone calls and listen to music at a level where I don't need the tv hook, not only another cost but I like subtitles and no ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

The streamer is coming free (December special) but I seriously doubt it would help me with the phone. I gave up on that many years ago with how deaf I am. But if it streams music or other noises I'm fine with that.

Today at school one of my classmates noticed my hearing aid and my FM system and she asked me about it. I explained about my hearing loss and she said sadly "I'm sorry, that must really suck". I told her that there was no reason for her to be sorry for me and having a hearing loss doesn't suck (well, most of the time :P).

@AlleyCat that's great you're getting new hearing aids! Resound are supposed to be a good hearing aid. :) I have Phonak Naida Q RITE (Receiver-In-The-Ear), I've had it since February 2015. Before then I had the Phonak Naida 3 UP BTE hearing aid and I'd had it for 5 or 6 years. Naida Q RITE is better IMO. :) I know the feeling of getting new HAs :)

I hate when people tell me sorry for my hearing loss. Also I mostly have my husband make phone calls for me but when I am in a quiet room with nothing around I can make my own calls with the streamer without to much hassle. But I have 2 young children and a black ninja cat so that is like never lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Today at school one of my classmates noticed my hearing aid and my FM system and she asked me about it. I explained about my hearing loss and she said sadly "I'm sorry, that must really suck". I told her that there was no reason for her to be sorry for me and having a hearing loss doesn't suck (well, most of the time :P).

@AlleyCat that's great you're getting new hearing aids! Resound are supposed to be a good hearing aid. :) I have Phonak Naida Q RITE (Receiver-In-The-Ear), I've had it since February 2015. Before then I had the Phonak Naida 3 UP BTE hearing aid and I'd had it for 5 or 6 years. Naida Q RITE is better IMO. :) I know the feeling of getting new HAs :)

Ive often responded to "im so so sorry your Deaf"...
If the chick was a cutie, yeah well ....cough...

Easy.....

Ive also responded with"do you sign", to which the awsner would be
"No"

To which id reply.
"That has to suck.....im so sorry for you missing out"

If cute enough....id offer free lessons of course.

Win...win..
"-)

My Deafie school was beside a hearie one...we shared a hall that connected them...
Hearie girl groupies were the norm...

Fun days.....

Probably not. It is frustrating to fit with neither Deaf nor hearing communities and I do miss out at times but my experience in a school with sign language was one of the best times in my life - so much easier than talking.

I have quite severe sound sensitivity, even without HAs. If it's just recruitment, then perhaps it would be easier but also having ASD, I wouldn't want to risk having even more noise to contend with. ASD, now, I'd get rid of that in a heart beat. (Though I know some people see this as an afront to their neurodiversity.)

Thank you! I absolutely adore my new HAs. They are so far superior than anything I had in the past. They help nothing with clarity which was no surprise at all given my 115 db loss, but I hear all kinds of things I never did before. (And didn't mind that at all that I didn't hear things, it's just been a new experience for me, that's all.)

In a heartbeat. I am sick and tired of sometimes people treating me differently because I am "deaf".
Not to mention having to depend on (often fallible) technology, translators, CC etc.
I am sick and tired of missing out on conversations.
I am sick and tried of having to live in my own little world.
So heck, yeah, I would gulp it in a second!

Fuzzy

I would like to go back to the level of hearing loss I had seven years ago. Enough that I could take my HA's out and tone down the world and be within myself. I would not like to go back to fully hearing. Most people can close their eyes and tune out. Can't do that with ears.

Telephone without ha's is becoming very difficult. Others try to use my cellphone and find it turned too loud. For long calls, I prefer to use extra equipment so I can process with both ears. My TV is generally as loud as it can go; I enjoy the CC.

I get anxious about missed phone calls while sleeping, the lack of knowledge about anything happening outside while sleeping, I rarely hear sirens. I need a dog to relieve the anxieties and reduce the inconveniences.

Just stop the loss!!!!

A little bit is good. Whole bunches is not.

Yes I would in a minute ! I find nothing cool about being hoh and having to wear a hearing aid to hear . I would love be able to
hear my granddaughter better .

This is a tough question. I would love to hear like I should but all the while I like that I can not hear that drive my family crazy. For me, if it could just cure me just enough that I could have smaller hearing aid and less power needed.. I think I would take it.

For me that is a funny question. If you had asked me that in the September of 2015 I would have said yes. I would have taken. But since I took the Deaf studies course, my answer has changed. I wouldn't take it. I don't need hearing to succeed, I can empower myself with my own deafness.

For me that is a funny question. If you had asked me that in the September of 2015 I would have said yes. I would have taken. But since I took the Deaf studies course, my answer has changed. I wouldn't take it. I don't need hearing to succeed, I can empower myself with my own deafness.
Now you know why I am against with doctor / parents make a decision to cochlear implant deaf babies. Most deaf babies in China, Sweden and Denmark are implanted.

Yes, I would. I was born hearing and did not lose my hearing till I was 14 years old. I would love to be able to hear naturally again and not have to struggle at all.

Yes, I would. I was born hearing and did not lose my hearing till I was 14 years old. I would love to be able to hear naturally again and not have to struggle at all.

I doubt such a Cure could be classed natural.

I doubt such a Cure could be classed natural.
My hearing aids give me natural sounds. So I hope a CI will if I ever need one. Yeah, when I get a new hearing aid, there is adjustment (unnatural sounds), but the brain works it out and most things sound like they did before I had hearing loss.

Back