If there were a cure for hearing loss would you take it

My HA would just stop working if got a drop of moisture in it and this has happen when my daughter and granddaughter was visiting me . My car was T boned by a teenage driver and I got hit on the right side of my forehead so hard it knocked me out cold . This some how mess my right ear is got wacked out joint and it's now hurt it wear to put an ear mold in my ear. An audi told me she heard of this happening to people that hit on their forehead and not being able to wear their HA anymore.

If you still have the second hearing aid, get it programmed for the left ear then you'll have a backup. I'm assuming you have behind-the-ear hearing aids. The are ways to dry hearing aids besides buying the dryers for them, though I can't remember what was used. I think putting them in a bag of rice. I know rice helps wick moisture out of salt shakers. I always put some in mine.

If you still have the second hearing aid, get it programmed for the left ear then you'll have a backup. I'm assuming you have behind-the-ear hearing aids. The are ways to dry hearing aids besides buying the dryers for them, though I can't remember what was used. I think putting them in a bag of rice. I know rice helps wick moisture out of salt shakers. I always put some in mine.

I was told that the rice for HAs was a myth. I don't know for certain. After one of my HAs got severely wet (a perfume bottle spilled over and saturated my HA!) I put it in rice for several weeks but it didn't dry out. I ended up having to take it in for repairs. (I learned to keep liquids away from my HAs!) And, could be that it was the perfume that didn't help.

On the upside, I had a very nice smelling HA for a while! :lol:

I was told that the rice for HAs was a myth. I don't know for certain. After one of my HAs got severely wet (a perfume bottle spilled over and saturated my HA!) I put it in rice for several weeks but it didn't dry out. I ended up having to take it in for repairs. (I learned to keep liquids away from my HAs!) And, could be that it was the perfume that didn't help.

On the upside, I had a very nice smelling HA for a while! :lol:

If someone else spilled perfume on my hearing aid I would have a stuffed up nose! That is what fragrance does to me. So I will not be spilling perfume on it — guess could be some other liquid.

Why don't have insurence would household insurence cover it ..if have that sort of thing

Why don't have insurence would household insurence cover it ..if have that sort of thing

The repair was $400. My homeowner's insurance deductible is $1,000. So there's no way I would have filed a claim. It would not have met the deductible, and could possibly increase my rates if I file a claim. I have never filed a claim in my 25 years of homeownership, and I hope never to. :)

Also, I'm not even sure if my homeowner's insurance covers things like hearing aids. But, I should look into that, especially since I'm getting BRAND NEW ones on January 5!

I think you have to get a "add on" to your home insurance for hearing aids. Not sure. I have not done it myself.

wow, AC- brand new ones - are you excited?

My hub has been trying to get some new digitals Resounds.
I'm considering investigating for myself in Summer

wow, AC- brand new ones - are you excited?

My hub has been trying to get some new digitals Resounds.
I'm considering investigating for myself in Summer

I am super excited! I am so deaf (115 db) loss that I have no clarity to speech, etc., but I do appreciate the sound itself of music (I can't say "sound of music" because then it seems like I'm talking about the movie! :lol: ) and environmental sounds like the dogs barking, the TV going, etc. My hearing aids are both 8 and 12 years old; the 8 year old one broke recently (the same perfume-scented one) in that parts of the exterior plastic literally broke. How that happened I have no idea.) And the 12 year old one just has almost no volume anymore, so I've been hearing pretty much nothing for the past month or so. I'm looking forward to having some sound back even if there's no clarity to it. I just like some ... noise! :)

Also, the new ones are ReSounds. I think part of my excitement is that I can bluetooth them to my iPhone and TV, so I can play/listen to things at any volume and not disrupt anyone. And control them right from my phone. Whowouldathunk?

:D cool, I'm so happy for you! <sound of music:lol:>

well, at least it smelled fragrant for the audiologist when it broke....

8 and 12 is quite old for aids, isn't it? I know they're expensive and can be difficult to replace. My husband has been wearing loaners for about a year and 1/2 maybe.

and Summer's coming so you will have additional noise for sure....

:D cool, I'm so happy for you! <sound of music:lol:>

well, at least it smelled fragrant for the audiologist when it broke....

8 and 12 is quite old for aids, isn't it? I know they're expensive and can be difficult to replace. My husband has been wearing loaners for about a year and 1/2 maybe.

and Summer's coming so you will have additional noise for sure....

It no longer smelled fragrant. That was at least a few years ago. If it still smelled good, then that was some expensive perfume! :lol:

8 and 12, yes, more or less. I have usually had mine around 10-ish years or so each. I'm not sure what the average for most people is.

It no longer smelled fragrant. That was at least a few years ago. If it still smelled good, then that was some expensive perfume! :lol:

8 and 12, yes, more or less. I have usually had mine around 10-ish years or so each. I'm not sure what the average for most people is.
I think the average for the lifespan of a hearing aid is about 5 years these days. I've held onto hearing aids for 10+ years as well, almost always over 5 years. Had the stupid body aid for ah well 10 years before switching to behind the ear.

The 8 year old aid of yours sounds like what happened with one of my last pair (the SUMO DMs)- the casing on one started to disintegrate after about the 6-7 year mark. The battery door kept breaking into pieces. The material isn't as strong as it used to be :P.

I think the average for the lifespan of a hearing aid is about 5 years these days. I've held onto hearing aids for 10+ years as well, almost always over 5 years. Had the stupid body aid for ah well 10 years before switching to behind the ear.

The 8 year old aid of yours sounds like what happened with one of my last pair (the SUMO DMs)- the casing on one started to disintegrate after about the 6-7 year mark. The battery door kept breaking into pieces. The material isn't as strong as it used to be :P.

I think you're right about the casing just disintegrating. First a door fell off (the one that covers the control panel or whatever it's called!) Right above the battery door. And yeah, the 12 year old one has had practically no volume for a while, so it was probably well past its lifespan. Hopefully these new ones last longer than 5 years!

I think you're right about the casing just disintegrating. First a door fell off (the one that covers the control panel or whatever it's called!) Right above the battery door. And yeah, the 12 year old one has had practically no volume for a while, so it was probably well past its lifespan. Hopefully these new ones last longer than 5 years!
I hope so too!

As for the 12 year old one, I just thought of something-- it may just need a serious cleaning inside on a part that i can only remember as the filter trap (or just filter...). One time I had that issue- seemingly less volume... Audio cleaned it out-- the oils, dirt and uh.. dead skin does accumulate in there so it may be lessening the sound. I think that happened with a friend of mine recently too. Worth checking that out when you go get the new ones so you can at least keep that one as a backup :)

Yeah, they used to make them more sturdy.....I once had a Maico body aid (before the advent of more powerful behind-the-ear aids) and at around year 12, I had it overhauled with new electronic insides and bipped along for about 5 or so more years....

Then there is the matter of how long your hearing remains stable at the level it is now and you don't have to change for that reason.

Then there is the matter of how long your hearing remains stable at the level it is now and you don't have to change for that reason.

She's pretty much off the chart or darn close to it.

I hope so too!

As for the 12 year old one, I just thought of something-- it may just need a serious cleaning inside on a part that i can only remember as the filter trap (or just filter...). One time I had that issue- seemingly less volume... Audio cleaned it out-- the oils, dirt and uh.. dead skin does accumulate in there so it may be lessening the sound. I think that happened with a friend of mine recently too. Worth checking that out when you go get the new ones so you can at least keep that one as a backup :)

That was my thought too - as soon as my bank account recovers ( :lol: ) from the new HAs that I would at least get the working one up-to-speed as a back-up. I think the one with the casing (the one with the door falling off and other parts breaking) is almost a lost cause.

She's pretty much off the chart or darn close to it.

Pretty darn close to it !! :lol:

My hearing loss was progressive until I was about 20 years old. It's hasn't changed since, and I'm now 45, so about 25 years have passed since, so I assume it isn't changing any more!

Also, the new ones are ReSounds. I think part of my excitement is that I can bluetooth them to my iPhone and TV, so I can play/listen to things at any volume and not disrupt anyone. And control them right from my phone. Whowouldathunk?

I have oticon and I paid for the streamer so I can do this. Best thing ever. I can make phone calls and listen to music at a level where I don't need the tv hook, not only another cost but I like subtitles and no ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back