If there were a cure for hearing loss would you take it

So your asking
If their was a cure for hearing, would i take it?
I, Deaf,
So
Im already cured...

Id have it no other way

Best answer ever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Absolutely. Love what CI's do for me, but would be nice not to have the hassle of magnets, cables, batteries, etc. They are what they are but it would be another thing less to think about. CI technology gives me so much, but if normal hearing gave me some more, all the better!

Until then, I'll enjoy showing off my AB bionic ears :D

Profoundly deaf from birth so I am happy and used to my life as it is. Fluent in ASL and have friends and family, and others in Deaf community, I can communicate with; having said that, however, I would LOVE to hear music, the sounds of nature, and human voices-- my childrens --conversing. It would certainly be a culture shock but one I think I would like to experience. Given the fact it will never happen tho in my lifetime, and this is really a rhetorical question, I know I can continue to live a happy life as I am and as God created me. :)

I should clarify that I have very strong BTE HA's so I do pick up limited environmental sounds, pick up minimal conversation but very very difficult to understand much. 'Normal hearing' would be mind-boggling I'm sure, especially at the beginning.

I think I would. Although, what about half a pill? There were things I liked about the days when my left side was gone but my right side excellent. For example: if neighborhood dogs were barking at night just turn over on my good side to drown them out. But yet I could still easily do things like use the phone.

Definitely would, seems to be two factions here, mostly late deafened would, born deaf wouldn't with a few exceptions. Jane's thoughts are mine too, as there are benefits to deafness, I sure would like to be able to use the phone.

Definitely would, seems to be two factions here, mostly late deafened would, born deaf wouldn't with a few exceptions. Jane's thoughts are mine too, as there are benefits to deafness, I sure would like to be able to use the phone.

I probably should have described more about using the phone. I miss simply picking it up and answering or dialing. I do still use it, mostly for outgoing calls, but it takes another piece of equipment (TTY on landline used with state relay and VCO) or an app (used on cell phone for captions). Both take a bit of patience because of the time it takes for the written words to get to me, me finish reading them and respond with my voice.

My hearing "loss" is technically mild. I also have learning disabilities that include audio processing issues.

I thought about quite a while before answering...assuming any hearing "loss" isn't part of a larger progressive and terminal issue< as opposed to only the idea of - hearing less or no hearing> .....no, would not take it.

This is part of who I am - a very visual person. I understand things mostly through a visual sense. To have suddenly "full" hearing audiologically would be strange...I'd still rely on how I've developed to navigate the world.

Bceause of my LD, I've developed ways to do things and work-arounds, I've never done things the way the "majority" seem to do them; never "fit in".

I'm used to me. That's it, I guess.

This is really interesting to see your points of view!

I can relate to the some of you that do want their hearing cured. It makes sense that the late-deafened would rather have their hearing rather than the born-deaf/HOH.

Jane B., good point. I like not being woken up easily by lawn mowers early on the weekend mornings, etc. I like taking off my HAs when there's annoying noise out there. But it'd be nice to talk on the phone, do video chat without signing, communicate with people easily, etc.

An anti-tinnitus pill would be great! I'd imagine tinnitus is worse than hearing loss.

Like rr I know what I lost 32 years ago.Would had run to get cure at time.Now don't use words like cure because not ill .got use to it I not sure what would happen if woke up had hearing back suddenly be overwhelmed

Only a pill that makes you hearing? Not another one that can make you Deaf again?

I'd switch back and forth for the fun of it! Think about all the people I can scare on halloween. ;)

It would be great to have a temp pill that names hearies deaf for a day so they can see how they are treating/treated. Maybe we would get more respect and not want a 'cure'.

Yes, I would personally. It would solve a lot of my problems and I wouldn't have to rely on people (e.g. terps) or things (e.g. guitar tuner) all the time. :aw:

I would. Hearing people tend to be more accepting of others.
Deaf people tend to be more judgmental and aloof, from what I've seen.
Plus, I'm sick of my hearing status being a barrier & an excuse to refrain from talking to me.

I'd take that pill and find out how to make more of it.

I would. Hearing people tend to be more accepting of others.
Deaf people tend to be more judgmental and aloof, from what I've seen.
Plus, I'm sick of my hearing status being a barrier & an excuse to refrain from talking to me.

I'd take that pill and find out how to make more of it.

I think you'll find those people shallow and not worth talking to anyway.

Back