If Deaf never had sign language, would you hearing still want to know us??

Discussion in 'Our World, Our Culture' started by deafgam, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ambiebear

Ambiebear New Member

Honestly, every person is different, be they hearing, HOH, or d/Deaf. Some heavies really only want to learn because they think the language seems cool, or that it something to make them stand out, to make them deem different. While others want to learn based purely on the cultural aspect. You know how some people fall in love with say French or Spanish culture? They love everything about it and ultimately learn the language in order to immerse themselves into that culture.

Based on the ones who do it for culture I'm very sure they'd love the deaf community and everything we stand for regardless if we had ASL or not. It's honestly based on their motivation for learning the language, and if they truly care about or respect the culture at all.

Tetracyclone likes this.
  2. Jaidah20

Jaidah20 New Member

I am hearing & although I love sign language , I'm not that type of person . I've always been the type of person that makes friends that are different from me because I love learning new things from new cultures & such . My best friends are all the opposite of me ..... Puerto Rican , bisexual , pansexual , how they were raised , & anything else that makes us different . I want all types of friends . I don't want to become friends with someone from Jamaica just because of their language . I want to learn & appreciate things that make everyone different . I get bored of just knowing about my culture . Lol . & when I make friends , it's always important to me . Great , genuine friendships are hard to find .

3. Beckell

Beckell New Member

I understand what you are saying. We have a wonderful and dynamic deaf ministry at Our Savior Deaf Lutheran Church based in Madison, WI. I’m glad that you brought it up. It can be very frustrating trying to get hearing people to socialize and have fellowship with deaf people. We do have hearing people in our congregation. Some of them have deaf or hard of hearing children or have spouse who is deaf or HH. Also we have hearing people that come in for the first time. It’s very understandable that they may be very nervous and scared. They are not used to deaf culture. They aren’t sure how to communicate or come up to deaf person even if they know some simple signs. We do have a deaf Pastor (he used to be hearing due to hearing loss) and it’s very helpful for him to connect these hearing people. He has a great sense of humor and that helps! Having a good fruit of the spirit will help you start friendship with them. We often have students who are taking classes to become an interpreter come to our church to socialize with us and learning more about deaf culture.

Have you thought about setting up like deaf coffee chat or something like that? This can be at your church. It will help to warm up for hearing people to join since it won’t be formal. We have our deaf coffee chat once a month at our church. We usually have guest speakers that come and talk about various topics and then have games and lunch fellowship. It has been very successful at our church.

Also have you thought about asking them to come up to the front of the altar and introduce themselves to your congregation? This would be after the worship. You could start the lead and then you could ask them to sign for themselves even if they are awkward but you can help them. We do this often and it helps to break the ice.

We also have a wonderful Jesus Sign Workshop that our Pastor lead and travels throughout the world to teach hearing people religion signs and how to work with deaf people in church. Of course deaf people are invited to this workshop as well. They offer deaf Bible study to learn more about Jesus as 98% of deaf people do not know Jesus. This is a great place to check it out. If your church would like to host this workshop, let me know.

God’s blessings

4. Korey Geer

Korey Geer New Member

You should ask your pastor to travel to my area.

5. Snowiii

Snowiii New Member

As someone who hears, my answer is 100% yes. I think deaf people have SO much to say and share, specially cause the things they go through.. for sure can teach us alot. I've met a deaf person who was the aunt of my best friend and she was one of the kindest human beings I've ever met. Also super funny! So for sure no matter what, I would love to meet people who are deaf no matter what