IEP help

But it seems Miss Kat understands the material in her first language so I dont see the need for an oral terp but probably would see the need for an ASL terp in a mainstreamed setting but that means Miss Kat would not get direct communication like she gets at the BiBi program anymore. The question is ..which is more important to the OP?

There you go. In order to get the oral interpreter, it will have to be shown that it is needed for comprehension, and not just because the parent wants more speech in the classroom. And, as the child is still dependent upon visual language despite recent improvements in hearing, it would be much easier to show need for the ASL terp in the mainstream. What people fail to understand is that the IEP is written with educational goals in mind, and if the child is making improvements that are age appropriate in language skills, the parent does not have the right to dictate methodology to the school system.

There you go. In order to get the oral interpreter, it will have to be shown that it is needed for comprehension, and not just because the parent wants more speech in the classroom. And, as the child is still dependent upon visual language despite recent improvements in hearing, it would be much easier to show need for the ASL terp in the mainstream. What people fail to understand is that the IEP is written with educational goals in mind, and if the child is making improvements that are age appropriate in language skills, the parent does not have the right to dictate methodology to the school system.

So I have no standing to ask for speech/listening therapy because her language is age appropriate?

So I have no standing to ask for speech/listening therapy because her language is age appropriate?

From my experience, u can put in a request for more speech therapy time and add it to the IEP and by law, the school will have to provide it. That is one on one time with the speech therapists. As for spoken English instructions, u cant dictact what methology the program uses. If it is a BiB, they will keep both languages separate and in their pure/true forms so the children can get an appropriate model of each languages. If u want Sim-Com, the TC is your other options but I tell u ...most of the time, a proper model of either languages are not usually modeled. It is your decision, not ours.

Probably not. The intention of the IEP is to provide services that make the academic material accessible. It is not the school system's objective to improve her speech/listening skills. It is their objective to insure that she is getting access to the academic material. If she is able to do that in the environment she is in, then they are not obligated to add adjunct services.

Never mind..u missed my point. Moving on. Would rather not get into a debate.

I wasn't gonna argue at all, but you responded back with your theoretical story that has absolutely nothing to do with what faire_joure was asking. I stated a fact that's nothing but a fact that has to be done after a child aquires an implant. It's not a fact that I made up.

faire_joure's asking for advice to add into the program for listening and speech skills, then you say the most important is academic and language. That it's all that matters. That is great without a doubt, but what about the listening and speech that confuses you? It doesn't confuse me or faire_joure.

It's clear she isn't getting the additional support she wants for her daughter. What's confusing about this? What's so helpful about your story that it works for some and not others? faire_joure knows the risk. What are you saying then to h e l p her? "faire_joure just don't worry. it just might happen or not on its own." It's Miss Kat's that's the focus here for faire_joure.

Whatever. Don't come to me with your s*it that you don't want to argue. You started the crap with your 6 years of bleep experience. Maybe you're just like the teachers at faire_joure's school who aren't supportivce.

Whatever. Just don't come here with your crap that you don't want to argue.

Nice try to make you look nice. Nice try.

From my experience, u can put in a request for more speech therapy time and add it to the IEP and by law, the school will have to provide it. That is one on one time with the speech therapists. As for spoken English instructions, u cant dictact what methology the program uses. If it is a BiB, they will keep both languages separate and in their pure/true forms so the children can get an appropriate model of each languages. If u want Sim-Com, the TC is your other options but I tell u ...most of the time, a proper model of either languages are not usually modeled. It is your decision, not ours.

There is no TC. The choice is:
1. Oral only
2. Voice-off bi-bi with completly inappropriate, unskilled, (allegedly hand slapping) SLP
3. Mainstream

Probably not. The intention of the IEP is to provide services that make the academic material accessible. It is not the school system's objective to improve her speech/listening skills. It is their objective to insure that she is getting access to the academic material. If she is able to do that in the environment she is in, then they are not obligated to add adjunct services.

That is true..but there are some cases, that some adjunct service can be added but to change a whole methodology of a program, nope, it wont happen.

The program where I work at is now offering Spoken English instructions for those who have showed ability to understand English 100% without ASL support.

I wasn't gonna argue at all, but you responded back with your theoretical story that has absolutely nothing to do with what faire_joure was asking. I stated a fact that's nothing but a fact that has to be done after a child aquires an implant. It's not a fact that I made up.

faire_joure's asking for advice to add into the program for listening and speech skills, then you say the most important is academic and language. That it's all that matters. That is great without a doubt, but what about the listening and speech that confuses you? It doesn't confuse me or faire_joure.

It's clear she isn't getting the additional support she wants for her daughter. What's confusing about this? What's so helpful about your story that it works for some and not others? faire_joure knows the risk. What are you saying then to h e l p her? "faire_joure just don't worry. it just might happen or not on its own." It's Miss Kat's that's the focus here for faire_joure.

Whatever. Don't come to me with your s*it that you don't want to argue. You started the crap with your 6 years of bleep experience. Maybe you're just like the teachers at faire_joure's school who aren't supportivce.

But the whole point is that the school system is not mandated to provide additional support. They are mandated to provide accommodation that allows access to the curriculum.

Very mature reply, ClearSky. To me, u just whine about things. I asked Fair Jour a question and u answered it for her but I was nice to u about it. I dont feel like arguing with u.

That is true..but there are some cases, that some adjunct service can be added but to change a whole methodology of a program, nope, it wont happen.

The program where I work at is now offering Spoken English instructions for those who have showed ability to understand English 100% without ASL support.

Yes, you are more likely to see the adjunct services offered through a more specialized program as the one you work in. They will offer those services to any student that can benefit from them. But to have those services added for one single student, when it doesn't pertain to academics, would be very difficult to accomplish.

But how are the kids going to get to the point where they can use spoken language if they are never exposed to it? How can they learn it if they get no support for it?

But the whole point is that the school system is not mandated to provide additional support. They are mandated to provide accommodation that allows access to the curriculum.

Right....

But how are the kids going to get to the point where they can use spoken language if they are never exposed to it? How can they learn it if they get no support for it?

I have childrne with CIs who were able to develop spoken language just fine in a Bi Bi program. Like I said in my reply to ClearSky. I have 6 years of seeing different kids and different cases. I have seen so many deaf children who went to Deaf schools without CIs who were able to devleop spoken language while some others who even went to mainstreamed programs who couldnt develop spoken language despite being exposed to Spoken English all day.

If Miss Kat has the abilitiy, she will develop spoken language. She just got implanted so it is gonna take some time.

I was looking for ideas. I wonder if I get get a voice interpreter in the bi-bi class or an ASL interpreter in the oral program. There is a whole new generation of deaf kids with good hearing that we need to figure out how to get correct services.

Yes, I know you're looking for ideas. I just think this isn't the best site for it if you are looking to add services for your daughters speech and aural skills.

Like shel90 just wanted to add more garbage like this to an innocent response:

Not always..I have seen almost every case in my 6 years as a teacher for the deaf working with children with and without CIs. Some develop speech skills without CIs while those with CIs are unable to do so and vice versa.

I am not going to be here again for this thread. Nice try to shel90 for trying to make me look like the argumentator. It's nice how she tries to sound so sweet and angelic in her last response. That just shows your true colors.

Yes, I know you're looking for ideas. I just think this isn't the best site for it if you are looking to add services for your daughters speech and aural skills.

Like shel90 just wanted to add more garbage like this to an innocent response:

j

I am not going to be here again for this thread. Nice try to shel90 for trying to make me look like the argumentator. It's nice how she tries to sound so sweet and angelic in her last response. That just shows your true colors.

I dont know what your agenda is..but it is true. Do u think I am lying? My point was that if Miss Kat has the ability, she WILL develop spoken language regardless of where she is placed. It all depends on the child's innate ability to do so. I trust that FAir Jour will provide the support at home...the point is, like Jillo said, the IeP is about academic progress not speech progress. I dont know what you are trying to do but I am being honest here what I see out there in real life. I am experienced in that field and if u think I am making up garbage, be my guest.

I dont know what your agenda is..but it is true. Do u think I am lying? My point was that if Miss Kat has the ability, she WILL develop spoken language regardless of where she is placed. It all depends on the child's innate ability to do so. I trust that FAir Jour will provide the support at home...the point is, like Jillo said, the IeP is about academic progress not speech progress. I dont know what you are trying to do but I am being honest here what I see out there in real life. I am experience in that field and if u think I am making up garbage, be my guest.

And I will back you up on your oringinal statement. It is not garbage at all. It is fact.

Very mature reply, ClearSky. To me, u just whine about things. I asked Fair Jour a question and u answered it for her but I was nice to u about it. I dont feel like arguing with u.

Like you haven't answered someone's question unintentionally? Nice try to make me look bad.

Like you haven't answered someone's question unintentionally? Nice try to make me look bad.

I have already reported u cuz i dont know what your problem is. I have no intention of making u look bad. That is not my goal. I am just honest about what I see out there and sometimes it is not pleasant but like I said, it is Fair Jour's decision and I wont force her to keep Miss Kat in a BiBi program. Nothing personal..seriously..pls move on. Thank you.

Back