Idioms... Idioms... Idioms...

Beauty2Girls said:
< is interested in idiosm I really need to read/learn cuz my boss some others at work always say :roll: sometimes I didnt understand I havent been taught at the school :dunno: maybe i was ignoring..

hold on someone's toe
pants on fire (I think it means lie, right?)
butt off always (workin hard)
long winded (talk much or non stop talkin :lol: )
more.. I dont remember I didnt undy and forget ;)

I think instead of "holding on someone's toe" maybe you meant "pulling someone's leg?" This means you are teasing them, telling them something that isn't true but that they believe. Many times someone may ask "are you pulling my leg?" when they mean "Are you joking?"

"Pants on fire" is usually used in the singy-song phrase, "liar, liar, pants on fire" and yes, it does mean someone is lying. However, that idiom is so well know that people may say something only referring to it, (how confusing is this?). The other day I heard someone say "his pants were hot enough to light up a forest" meaning that he was REALLY lying. Many idioms are so well known that people play off of them.

"Work your butt off" does mean work really hard, I've noticed that a lot of times people talk about how they've "worked their butt off" and soon after complain about how someone hasn't been pulling their load (doing their fair share of the work)

"long winded" hehe, this describes me pretty well, when I speak English at least. It usually means you take a lot of words to say something. Instead of saying, "The boy hit the girl" you say, "well, there was this kid, male, about 5 ft. 11 who was on this skateboard, and it was a new skateboard, really cool, but anyway, he sees this chick, and totally rams his fist into her and she just repels back, oh, and by the way, she was wearing this make-up that got totally smeared, and that was kinda funny, but yeah anyway...."
The example above is kind of a poor example of being "long winded" but it is the general idea.

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to pm or post. Before I sign off here let me try to think of a few more idioms.

"playing hooky" means you take the day off, (school, work, whatever) for no real legitimate reason, other than to have fun

"straight from the horse's mouth" means directly from the source, (don't ask me why). If you were talking about a coworker to a friend, and the friend thought you were just gossiping and didn't really know, you might say you got it "straight from the horse's mouth," meaning you were directly told the info by the coworker. That is not an idiom I use very much, but I know it gets used.

"nitty-gritty" means "bottom line" (I just defined an idiom with an idiom, I know) which "the heart of the matter" which means the basic idea, the important point. Bottom line is more used than the other 2, but I hear them all.

if someone wants to "blow off some steam," it means they want to try and relax when they're upset for some reason.

"shoot the breeze" and "chew the fat" (although rarely used) mean "small talk" which means basically talk about nothing important. MANY people do this with their coworkers.

"Close, but no cigar" is a fairly common phrase meaning "almost getting something, but not quite."

"down to the wire" means to put off until the last minute, to procrastinate. I have been doing this with my homework and now need to go do it.

Seriously, anyone else with questions, comments, wanting examples of how to use these idioms, pm me or leave a message here.

See ya later alligator! (Bye, I had to end with an idiom, sorry)

I am trying to remember the excat words but don't get me wrong here.

Don't judge the book by its cover.

is that a idiom?

downing said:

is that a idiom?

yes it is.. i usually say never judge a book by its cover... so i guess you can say that as well.. ;)

downing said:

is that a idiom?

Yup, that's an idiom. It usually means don't judge a person just by their outward appearance. Just because someone has a ton of tattoos, or piercings, or acne, or talks funny, or walks funny, doesn't mean that they are not kind, friendly people.

cat bite your tongue ??

*sigh* i have list somewhere on pile of papers... oh well :)

Piece of Cake - toooo easy
Pant on the fire - Lie
Bite your tongue - Jealous
Suck your mouth- shut up
Up your ass- asshole
Cut the crap - Full of BS
Bite your teeth- Ohhh scary??

Too many idoms....

I've been invovled w/hearing ppl when I was H.S. and mainstream too.

I'm Tickled Pink = to be happy and very pleased

I put my foot in my mouth = to say the wrong thing at the wrong time

I'm all ears = to be ready to hear what someone else has to say

I buttered her up = to flatter someone

I won hands down = to be clearly the winner

Let's put our heads together = to figure something out together.

it was in noggles magazine today for my oldest son!! (its Nick Jr Magazine) small world.

signer16 said:
I think instead of "holding on someone's toe" maybe you meant "pulling someone's leg?" This means you are teasing them, telling them something that isn't true but that they believe. Many times someone may ask "are you pulling my leg?" when they mean "Are you joking?"

Lol, true! i used to catch something wrong in schedule and show boss or someone else who did it, now they said hold his or her toe's, ha, well, teasing? sometimes boss wrote board mispelled like raisin brand I showed her it is raisin bran, lol, I didnt mean to embrass her but noticed hearing often mispelling writting to communite with me, I am only one deaf there

"Pants on fire" is usually used in the singy-song phrase, "liar, liar, pants on fire" and yes, it does mean someone is lying. However, that idiom is so well know that people may say something only referring to it, (how confusing is this?). The other day I heard someone say "his pants were hot enough to light up a forest" meaning that he was REALLY lying. Many idioms are so well known that people play off of them.

"Work your butt off" does mean work really hard, I've noticed that a lot of times people talk about how they've "worked their butt off" and soon after complain about how someone hasn't been pulling their load (doing their fair share of the work)

I agree, I just post previous already /\

"long winded" hehe, this describes me pretty well, when I speak English at least. It usually means you take a lot of words to say something. Instead of saying, "The boy hit the girl" you say, "well, there was this kid, male, about 5 ft. 11 who was on this skateboard, and it was a new skateboard, really cool, but anyway, he sees this chick, and totally rams his fist into her and she just repels back, oh, and by the way, she was wearing this <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=make%20up" onmouseover="window.status='make-up'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">make-up</a> that got totally smeared, and that was kinda funny, but yeah anyway...."
The example above is kind of a poor example of being "long winded" but it is the general idea.

LOL, I used to write long, how I found out, employee of the month Boss gave us to figure who.. and she congrated me, ME? was I long winded, ha!

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to pm or post. Before I sign off here let me try to think of a few more idioms.

"playing hooky" means you take the day off, (school, work, whatever) for no real legitimate reason, other than to have fun

"straight from the horse's mouth" means directly from the source, (don't ask me why). If you were talking about a coworker to a friend, and the friend thought you were just gossiping and didn't really know, you might say you got it "straight from the horse's mouth," meaning you were directly told the info by the coworker. That is not an idiom I use very much, but I know it gets used.

"nitty-gritty" means "bottom line" (I just defined an idiom with an idiom, I know) which "the heart of the matter" which means the basic idea, the important point. Bottom line is more used than the other 2, but I hear them all.

if someone wants to "blow off some steam," it means they want to try and relax when they're upset for some reason.

"shoot the breeze" and "chew the fat" (although rarely used) mean "small talk" which means basically talk about nothing important. MANY people do this with their coworkers.

"Close, but no cigar" is a fairly common phrase meaning "almost getting something, but not quite."

"down to the wire" means to put off until the last minute, to procrastinate. I have been doing this with my homework and now need to go do it.

Seriously, anyone else with questions, comments, wanting examples of how to use these idioms, pm me or leave a message here.

See ya later alligator! (Bye, I had to end with an idiom, sorry)[/QUOTE

Thanks! :)

my mom always told me ' you got some ants in your pants' meaning: I have always moved and refused to sit still.. is that considered an idiom?

downing said:
my mom always told me ' you got some ants in your pants' meaning: I have always moved and refused to sit still.. is that considered an idiom?

Yes, it is an idiom :)

downing said:

Yes, I remmy I was told my older daughter was having 'ants in her pants' first i didnt undy but I got it later I wouldnt like to take her to anywhere store, restaurant and party at my work, New Year Eve and e.t.c. at all, but Halloween OK :D

Beauty2Girls said:
Lol, true! i used to catch something wrong in schedule and show boss or someone else who did it, now they said hold his or her toe's, ha, well, teasing? sometimes boss wrote board mispelled like raisin brand I showed her it is raisin bran, lol, I didnt mean to embrass her but noticed hearing often mispelling writting to communite with me, I am only one deaf there

Thanks! :)

Hey, just had a thought. With the example you just posted they may have said they were trying to "keep you on your toes." People say this with anything meaning they want to make sure you are/were paying attention. Most of the time when people use it now, they use it as an excuse for a mistake they made "just to see if you were paying attention."

Wow, there are SOOOOO many idioms, it's crazy! I never realized how many there were, although I do make a subconscious effort not to use too many with ESL people. Their can be family, class, school, city, and regional idioms as well. I realized most "inside jokes" either "die" or become idioms.

Any other questions or comments, feel free to post!

Byeeeee! I have to go write a lesson for my English class on subject-verb agreement to teach tomorrow, yay :/.

Me too, willing to learn both the English and ASL ones.

brown-noser : when kissing someone's butt (also an idiom) your nose may change color.

Back