iChat/AIM and Sorenson

WoolyBully101

Reaction score
:gossip: Is there a way we can chat people through AIM or iChat video confrence through Sorenson or D-Link video phone? I hear some people says yes and some people says no. Which is the true answer and how can or can't do it? :dunno:

Yes is the answer....the username is hovrsIM add it to your buddy list ON ichat as long you got high speed connection and a good webcam with good lighting....they will automatically connect to you and open a webcam video

hope this helps! :D

I don't mean through relay service. I mean through out webcam to videophone. People to people without relay service. Like, I wanted to talk to my friend on webcam and they can communicate using the Sorenson video phone.

No that's not possible. Get a real Sorenson VP device and a TV set, it's much easier to deal with. There's no good support making direct calls to your friends from a Mac computer, unless you know how to tweak which is a little complicated...which involves IP calling, Ichat does not support IP calling with video...but there may be other shareware webcam conference apps that can do that. The Mac has the well known support...calling with VRS.

WoolyBully101 said:
:gossip: Is there a way we can chat people through AIM or iChat video confrence through Sorenson or D-Link video phone? I hear some people says yes and some people says no. Which is the true answer and how can or can't do it? :dunno:

Yep, it'll work on webcam to vp users or relays and vp to webcam too, but the webcam port is different and you can add webcam's port list below to work. but the webcam's little slow, due to your CPU processes.

Allow VP4_incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1720
Allow VP1_incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1703
Allow VP3_incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 IP (0),15328-15333
Allow VP2_Incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1503
Allow VP_Incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1731

VP boxes are on port 1720 and 15328-15333
Webcam are on port 1503, 1703 and 1731

PowerWCRulez said:
Yep, it'll work on webcam to vp users or relays and vp to webcam too, but the webcam port is different and you can add webcam's port list below to work. but the webcam's little slow, due to your CPU processes.

Allow VP4_incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1720
Allow VP1_incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1703
Allow VP3_incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 IP (0),15328-15333
Allow VP2_Incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1503
Allow VP_Incoming WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.125 TCP,1731

VP boxes are on port 1720 and 15328-15333
Webcam are on port 1503, 1703 and 1731

The above is slightly misleading. You cannot have a VP and a computer on the same IP address (192.168.0.125) at the same time, so you should not change the ports (1720, 1703, 1503, etc.).

The best thing to do is to configure your router to forward all 1720 port traffic to both your computer with webcam address, and to the videophones you have.

Now, as to the poster's question:

Is there a way we can chat people through AIM or iChat video confrence through Sorenson or D-Link video phone? I hear some people says yes and some people says no. Which is the true answer and how can or can't do it?

I don't mean through relay service. I mean through out webcam to videophone. People to people without relay service. Like, I wanted to talk to my friend on webcam and they can communicate using the Sorenson video phone.

Your question is too broad. Let me break it down:

1) Can we chat FROM Sorenson / D-Link TO someone using a webcam through AIM/AOL/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/GoogleTalk/iChat/etc?

No. IM programs do not accept video calls from OUTSIDE the IM system.

2) Can we chat FROM Sorenson / D-Link TO someone using a webcam through Netmeeting or another webcam program using IP addresses?

Yes. Netmeeting and other webcam programs that use IP addresses to communicate with each other directly WILL be able to video directly.

3) Can we chat FROM Sorenson / D-Link TO someone using an IM program but NO webcam??

No. The only way it COULD be possible would be to use a relay service -- BUT, relay services don't allow someone using VRS to talk to someone using IM relay. You are not supposed to use 2 different relay services to talk to anyone -- only ONE relay service can be used.

Dennis said:
The above is slightly misleading. You cannot have a VP and a computer on the same IP address (192.168.0.125) at the same time, so you should not change the ports (1720, 1703, 1503, etc.).

The best thing to do is to configure your router to forward all 1720 port traffic to both your computer with webcam address, and to the videophones you have.

Dennis,

Re-read carefully, the router being foward to 192.168.0.125 (VP's private ip).

I assume you didn't read the VP manual book completely, these are oringinal ports before I added new port for webcams.

For example; VP or webcam callers calling to my vp box

Internet IP addy <-> Router (fowarding) <-> VP box
999.99.99.99 <-> detected port for VP incoming and auto forwarding <-> 192.168.0.125

A friend is on webcam and called me on my VP box, it's work great.

Last edited:
PowerWCRulez said:
Dennis said:

Dennis,

Re-read carefully, the router being foward to 192.168.0.125 (VP's private ip).

I assume you didn't read the VP manual book completely, these are oringinal ports before I added new port for webcams.

For example; VP or webcam callers calling to my vp box

Internet IP addy <-> Router (fowarding) <-> VP box
999.99.99.99 <-> detected port for VP incoming and auto forwarding <-> 192.168.0.125

A friend is on webcam and called me on my VP box, it's work great.

Your statement was confusing then. It looked like it recommended that you should leave the 192.168.0.125 addresses as is, instead of customzing it for the webcam IP addresses and the VP IP addresses. Yes, addressES. You can have multiple VPs and only one can have .125 at a time. BUT YOU CAN HAVE ALL ON AT ONCE by having the router forward all port xxxx traffic to certain on the LAN!

Dennis said:
PowerWCRulez said:
Your statement was confusing then. It looked like it recommended that you should leave the 192.168.0.125 addresses as is, instead of customzing it for the webcam IP addresses and the VP IP addresses. Yes, addressES. You can have multiple VPs and only one can have .125 at a time. BUT YOU CAN HAVE ALL ON AT ONCE by having the router forward all port xxxx traffic to certain on the LAN!

Yes, if they are same .125 for VP and webcam in household when they calling you.. leave the VP box offiline, then leave the webcam online on the puter.. it's would work.

Or

some pc owners have 2 puters..

for example:

PC 1 is on .100 Non-webcam
PC 2 is on .101 or binded .126 with a webcam

or

who have 2 puters and a vp box.

PC 1 is on .100 Non-webcam
PC 2 is on .101 or binded .126 with webcam
VP is on 125.

I recommend leave OFFLINE either one of VP box or webcam, because it's forwarding might get bottleneck connections on both ONLINES (VP and Webcam together isn't good for speed)

You can set the foreward to 101 or binded .126 for just webcam only do same TCP setting list in my post.

A Simpel Answer For You

Yes, you can communicate from webcam to VP
How? Simple!

Download a program, such as Viable Vision. It is free and a very easy program to use with amazing Customer Support. All the webcam user has to do is install the program and then call the person with the VP using their public IP Address. Their private IP address is more than likely 192.168.0.125. When I asked my friend, who uses a VP for her address, she gave me that. That won't work because it's like giving somebody your room number, without your street address. Find out their PUBLIC IP Address and then enter it at the top of the screen and press call. You can also use Netmeeting, which comes installed with your computer, although I haven't used that.

DeafDC Blog

This is a good explanation of Public vs Private IP.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply if I confused you.

Can someone help with Hearing-Impaired webcam user contact Deaf Sorenson VP user?

I do not qualify for a VP because I am not HoH or Deaf - just HI. I sold my grill and bought a webcam bc I was told I could use a webcam to contact a VP WITHOUT having to go through an interpreter.

I have downloaded and installed Viable Vision. Everytime I try to make a call I get a msg that the user is unavailable. I've tried a friend I know and I've tried GU (Gallaudet University).

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it just isn't possible. I'm getting very frustrated - especially with Sorenson, since they refuse to help me if my friend is in the same room. UGH!!! I can't believe they can require to be involved in one of the most basic human needs - private communication.

For Windows, use NetMeeting and dial thry ip-address only. I think Vista don't have one.

For Mac, use XMeeting, you need to download to install and use ip-address to call point to point.

For Windows, use NetMeeting and dial thry ip-address only. I think Vista don't have one.

For Mac, use XMeeting, you need to download to install and use ip-address to call point to point.

Netmeeting... wtf no. Just use VV, much better video quality.

And yeah, Vista doesnt have one.. sucks.

I know this is an old thread, but there are several services now that allow the use of VRS through iChat/AIM.

You can add "IWRelay" to your buddy list then send a message with the phone number you want to call to it. A video call request will then come through and the VI will connect you.

Here are some detailed instructions for MAC. It works on PC with AIM also -- but isn't quite as easy to use.

:laugh2:

Back