I upgraded the internet speed

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally, Windstream (my ISP) offered 12 mbps (1.5 mb/s) in my neighborhood and upgraded but not effective until today. I just ran the test and got 12.67 mbps after several configuration because it was slower on WiFi than wired so I fixed to make equal speed to wired now.

2673505484.png

2673525359.png

I'm not surprised about upload speed is bad and the upload is very important for videophone - more MB, more crisper video quality.

I don't have cable so DSL is only one option but other option with cellular tiered data is Verizon, however the internet speed with Windstream is stable and easily to have 12 mbps all day but Verizon LTE can be very congested sometime.

I learned that Charter (cable company) told us that they will install cable broadband in our neighborhood within few years but Windstream will going upgrade to 24 mbps in less than 5 years with faster upload speed (2 mbps).

12 mbps is sad.

There are other countries in the world that get faster service than us. It's the internet companies that are greedy for more money while trying to hold us back as much as possible.

Korea and Japan get at least 10 times faster internet than we do... for a fraction of the cost that we pay. :(

12 mbps is sad.

There are other countries in the world that get faster service than us. It's the internet companies that are greedy for more money while trying to hold us back as much as possible.

Korea and Japan get at least 10 times faster internet than we do... for a fraction of the cost that we pay. :(

Yes but better than stuck with 3 mbps.

That why Google dissatisfied with American ISP due to slower internet and high monthly fee.

Provider output is the most important thing, but you also have to have all the equipment on your end to handle the speed. Do you have a gigabyte modem and ethernet card? Are you using at least wireless N for you wireless connections?

In some cases, just updating your modem will get you the higher provider speed.

Provider output is the most important thing, but you also have to have all the equipment on your end to handle the speed. Do you have a gigabyte modem and ethernet card? Are you using at least wireless N for you wireless connections?

In some cases, just updating your modem will get you the higher provider speed.

My issue is resolved because of misconfiguration in router for WiFi.

My modem is perfectly capable with 12 mbps, so is my Linux based Netgear router (flashed with Tomato firmware).

All of my devices support N (except for PS3).

Hi!!! There is update, I have 25 mbps internet since last year.

Finally, Charter is burying the fiber optic in our neighborhood and already buried on our yard, so we will get cable in next month or June, so I can get up to 100 Mbps with expansion to 1 Gbps eventually, so I'm very happy and it is very overdue.

Finally, Charter is burying the fiber optic in our neighborhood and already buried on our yard, so we will get cable in next month or June, so I can get up to 100 Mbps with expansion to 1 Gbps eventually, so I'm very happy and it is very overdue.
Is it more expensive?

Upload or download? I always get them mixed up. Ours was 50 Mbps when Dad switched to a new plan(still same price). But it now seems like we're getting 100Mbps... no idea how that happened but I'm a happy camper. Even the VP/VRS seems a bit better (still mulling Sorenson but don't like it would share duties with my TV....).

Is it more expensive?

Nah, 60 Mbps and 100 Mbps aren't expensive, also be expect to shell out around $100 or more per month for 1 Gbps internet (download). Charter doesn't have 1 Gbps right now and they are trying to standardize the speed to 60 Mbps and 100 Mbps first in major metros before they could expand to 1 Gbps. Most small and medium metros are often ignored or on lower priority for internet upgrade.

Upload or download? I always get them mixed up. Ours was 50 Mbps when Dad switched to a new plan(still same price). But it now seems like we're getting 100Mbps... no idea how that happened but I'm a happy camper. Even the VP/VRS seems a bit better (still mulling Sorenson but don't like it would share duties with my TV....).

For 25 Mbps, it is all download and 1.5 Mbps on upload.

Finally, I got cable internet yesterday under Spectrum.

6468929896.png

Also, I got cable TV too - funny, I'm not used to channel numbers from 1 to 200 because DirecTV put local channels on 1 to 10 and all basic and digital are after 200, also cable DVR box is HUGE and their TV guide isn't pretty (their guide remind me of Bright House in 2003). CC quality looks OK but not fancy as one with DirecTV.

The cable line in my room was bad because of builders or DISH screwed it up, so cable guy had to replace entire of cable line, so finally, it works great.

Back