I throwing a question out see what you think

caz

Reaction score
Ok I deaf and rely somewhat on hubby which I may have done anyhow that big mistake."
He now is laten deaf and hearing aid all he needs music tv very loud neighbours complained.Telephone no gets answered no hears mob for texting.
This bugs me I no do anything with my hearing and he can.ican talk I call him if he near bye he comes to my yells.Itlike he switched off we sign and talk he is my terp now difficult he no hear to terp,am I unreasonable.

You mean unreasonable to want him to wear a hearing aid?

Could someone translate, please? I sincerely wish to help.

Fuzzy

Could someone translate, please? I sincerely wish to help.

Fuzzy

I'm pretty sure she said she wants him to wear a hearing aid so he can still be her interpreter, but wonders if she is being unreasonable.

You mean unreasonable to want him to wear a hearing aid?

Sort of bot.He not hear his daughter or grandchildren well.we became to reliant which was not easy for him in htime of her her birth and me being ill then we both learning to communicate with bsl
I don't understand he only needs do something so simple .It irritates everyone and I of all people should understand but don't.
Many people got laten deafness his age and wear the aid.my house is is deaf friendly.i just wonder if he sick to death of doing things I unable to do and this his way telling me to get on with it yes I understand but why deprived yourself of hearing the kids when you don't have to.Family don't with me I have full understanding but they getting cross with their dad

Do you mean you think your husband is not wearing his hearing aid b/c he is tried of having to be an interpreter for everyone ?

Thanks, guys.
I see - he doesn't want to wear his HA.

Could be, as an inexperienced late deafened person, he is not used to the aids, and /or he was not properly fitted with:

- A. the right type of the HA (too weak, too strong? maybe this cause it to warble, buzz or whistle?)
- B. the good fit of the earmolds (maybe these irritate him, and his ears hurt)
- C. he is embarrassed to wear them? maybe some fancy-shmancy, cool design kind will help or, showing him famous people with HAs will?

First time wearers often doesn't know if they were fitted with the right or wrong strength of the HA.
I know of a lady who spent over 5 thou for two ITE which she ended up throwing into a farthest corner of the drawer, because they were whistling bad.
Turned out, she needed really powerful BTE like Phonak Naida Q but she was embarrassed to be seen wearing HA, so she insisted on something inside the ear.
so they sold it to her. when she wore them, she had to turn up the volume so high, they whistled baaaad.

She also didn't understand well how the audiogram works. I think she got tired and I suspect she started hearing sounds in her head, thus clicking on the thingy before she really heard anything causing the result to be incorrect.
(I know it happens to me - hearing sound before it actually happen. so I always make sure I DO hear something before I click the button).
To make long story short - in the end, she spend a money she could hardly afford on aids she couldn't use.
And earmolds? we all know how hard it is to make a good fit.

So, all kinds of stuff may go wrong first time over with HAs.
perhaps check all this, and hopefully things will go better :)

Fuzzy

Thanks, guys.
I see - he doesn't want to wear his HA.

Could be, as an inexperienced late deafened person, he is not used to the aids, and /or he was not properly fitted with:

- A. the right type of the HA (too weak, too strong? maybe this cause it to warble, buzz or whistle?)
- B. the good fit of the earmolds (maybe these irritate him, and his ears hurt)
- C. he is embarrassed to wear them? maybe some fancy-shmancy, cool design kind will help or, showing him famous people with HAs will?

First time wearers often doesn't know if they were fitted with the right or wrong strength of the HA.
I know of a lady who spent over 5 thou for two ITE which she ended up throwing into a farthest corner of the drawer, because they were whistling bad.
Turned out, she needed really powerful BTE like Phonak Naida Q but she was embarrassed to be seen wearing HA, so she insisted on something inside the ear.
so they sold it to her. when she wore them, she had to turn up the volume so high, they whistled baaaad.

She also didn't understand well how the audiogram works. I think she got tired and I suspect she started hearing sounds in her head, thus clicking on the thingy before she really heard anything causing the result to be incorrect.
(I know it happens to me - hearing sound before it actually happen. so I always make sure I DO hear something before I click the button).
To make long story short - in the end, she spend a money she could hardly afford on aids she couldn't use.
And earmolds? we all know how hard it is to make a good fit.

So, all kinds of stuff may go wrong first time over with HAs.
perhaps check all this, and hopefully things will go better :)

Fuzzy

I know a guy who lost his hearing as he got older and he got 2 hearing aids and can only wear one b/c the other one isn't working right for him.
He got ripped off by getting the wrong kind of hearing aids. This really pissed me off b/c I seen this happen a lot when I was a health aide! There are some very dishonest greedy people that are only selling hearing aids for the money and could care less if it works for the person that needs it.

Have you asked him why? Also, I am curious, is it really deaf friendly if he is being made to wear a HA?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Have you asked him why? Also, I am curious, is it really deaf friendly if he is being made to wear a HA?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I not sure but I think between me and Our Downs daughter he had enough.I feeling he wants a life back what he don't have to hear he don't have to deal with.Partly depression.We all relied on him me most of all.He now in his 70 and getting the aches and pains ,I going into hospital have eye done and he been hospital so any times over the years with me.
He no talk about it but more people go on at him about it he gets stubborn either can't hear or pretends he not hear

It might be a passive-aggressive response.

It might be a passive-aggressive response.

I think it maybe the case..My son hinted at that and for me to back off stop using his memory.It not my deafness that incorporated in our lives..A lot is my daughter he got permanent guilt about her.She in residential home and we got problems with it.i know he don't won't face it so if he no hear it then not a problem.It not as if he needs wear it all the time and it very mild h of h it would give him better quality of life that my opinion.others may disagree

It sound like he doesn't have the energy to cope with everything anymore and he could also be feeling that no one is thinking of his needs . This is a lot to deal with at 70 yo . You don't expect to be taking care of your child when you reach 70 yo . Boy you have a lot to deal with , do have any one that can help you out beside your husband?

I agree with everyone. apart from ill - matched HAs, you husband does sound depressed. I think a time apart would help - send him on two week all included holidays?
these doesn't have to be expensive. but if this is something you can not afford, how about simply camping or cabin in the woods?

From 'bsl' I judge you are from UK, right? I suppose depending where you live, there is always an option to go someplace warm in Spain, France,
overseas or a cozy mountain cabin somewhere.
Perhaps he will be happier going with a buddy/ies?

A time alone would make wonders for his spirit and renew his energy.
Also, I would take him to the psychotherapist or a shrink, whichever is covered by your medical (why pay if you can get it free).
Having a child in an institution is emotionally draining on everyone, and everyone, too, needs help dealing with it.
I am sure having an authoritative figure to talk about it would be the best help of all.

Fuzzy

Do you think your husband could have the onset of dementia or some kind of memory lost and may not know the phone needs to be answered ?
I had a married couple and they both were 100 yo . The wife was very hoh and the husband had Alzheimer , when I rang their bell to get into the building no buzzed me in , I had to use the office to get buzzed in. The husband heard the bell but he forget what it was for and his wife couldn't hear it ! Have you tried talking to him to try and work something out?

Back