I need some help with a paper

amberlouwho

Reaction score
So in my college class we are all suppose to write about a certian topic and me being me... Choose the Deaf culture. I am having a little trouble because it is such a broad topic and there is so much that I could talk about and try to explain to people that have no idea what the whole culture is all about. Would you be to help me narrow down the topic a little bit for me. I have the history of ASL, Deaf Education and talking about mainstreaming. Cochlear Implants. Can any one help me and give me more insite? It would be greatly appericated.
-Amber

Hi Amber -

We can't exactly help you when we don't really know what you're exactly looking for. Are you saying you want to learn about the Deaf Culture on a general basis or are you looking for something that is related to a issue that is involved in the deaf culture?

What are you really looking for? Are you wanting to know about how it is with the mainstream settings vs deaf school settings? or CI vs ASL, or the notion of speech, so and on?

Maybe if you are able to be clear on what you really want, we would have a better picture of how to help you with this. :)

I have never heard of CI ever, what is that.
And i just need information on everything really. I dont know where to start my paper, or what certian topics to cover. I just picked something that I was familar with and went with it. I need help figuring out what would be good main points to hit inside of my paper. Like what are important things to know about the Deaf culture.

Is this an opinionated paper or fact based? Opinion paper will mostly consist of your thoughts about, say a certain deaf issue. A fact based paper will require you to research and recite facts that will uphold a theory or true based issue.

it is a fact paper i just need help kinda starting it. I have tons of things to talk about but not really having an idea about excatly what are main points to hit that are important in the Deaf world, and i dont wanna leave something out that is important.

OK, to make it accomplishable for you, if you were to talk to a best friend about deaf issues, what would you most likely have the most to say about?

CI is an abbreviation for Cochlear Implant.

If I may - I'd recommend you to read the book - "Deaf Heritage". It is an excellent book to read but however, it is not up to date, but still, it is a wonderful resource.

What do you want to know about the Deaf World? Do you want to know what peeves the deaf people off? Or, Do you want to know about how we inter react with others, so and on?

I will read that thank you hun,i dont mind if its not up to date
and what i wanna know i wanna know how do you feel about the CI and how do you accept HOH or others that do have a CI? What are the different ways for deaf education i know that where im from we have the Deaf academy. Is it just that and mainstreaming? What is important to you? What would be something to inform me about that maybe i dont know? How do you feel when people look down on you? Because with my brother he has always been looked down on because its claimed to be a disablity. But when I look at him he is the strongest person I know.

I also have a report due for my ASL class. I found an author, Harlan Lane, who is a linguistics expert among other things, who has written a few books on the Deaf Culture. One is the "Mask of Benevolence" and another is "When The Mind Hears." I found Mask of Benevolence very informative in many ways. One of which is how the hearing world has tried, despite the rightful insistence of the Deaf Community, to handicap the Deaf. Unfortunately, much of our hearing society still thinks of the Deaf as being "broke", but hopefully with the recognition of ASL as a language and Deaf Culture, more and more peoples' eyes will be opened and more people will welcome the Deaf as equals, rather than those with an infirmity.

I also have a report due for my ASL class. I found an author, Harlan Lane, who is a linguistics expert among other things, who has written a few books on the Deaf Culture. One is the "Mask of Benevolence" and another is "When The Mind Hears." I found Mask of Benevolence very informative in many ways. One of which is how the hearing world has tried, despite the rightful insistence of the Deaf Community, to handicap the Deaf. Unfortunately, much of our hearing society still thinks of the Deaf as being "broke", but hopefully with the recognition of ASL as a language and Deaf Culture, more and more peoples' eyes will be opened and more people will welcome the Deaf as equals, rather than those with an infirmity.

I also read both of those books, and they are amazing. One tiny word of caution, the information about cochlear implants in "Mask of Benevolence" is ridiculously outdated. Otherwise, they are two of my favorite Deaf Culture books.

Back