I need help.

Brit-ton-nee123

Reaction score
So I apparently use to much SEE and need to use ONLY ASL. I am trying to break my bad habit. But sometimes do not realize I am using SEE. Anyone want to help?
Please and thank you!
:D

Try to find some people who use ASL fluently. Watch how they sign and try to learn from them. Don't worry about it, but just keep trying and don't give up. You can do it!

Here are a few good video comparison by a Deaf ASL teacher. Watch how each message is signed using the different methods and note the differences.

SEE signs to drop if you are using them:
AM, TO, A, IS, SO, ARE, -ED, -S, -ING,UN-, THE, I, IT, AND, AND THEN
English that does not visually make sense, e.g. MAKE+UP (create upward) rather than MAKEUP (cosmetics)

I grew up using SEE (my hearing parents bought the big ol' yellow book when they found out I was deaf) and took ASL classes in high school. Now I sign PSE, which is basically a combination of SEE and ASL. I've stopped doing the tiny things you have to use with SEE such as TO, THE, -ED, -ING, -TION, etc. I still sign in English order - now that's an extremely hard habit to break. I haven't had any complaints from fellow Deafies with my signing style though. I agree with @zephren - drop the SEE fluff.

Back