I need advive

Hex

Reaction score
I have a roommate who has trying to get me kicked out of my apartment because I'm not currently working im on social security so I can afford rent and utilities
but he calls me a unmotivated deadbeat and everything you can imagine because he's working and I'm not I was working but do to a recent hospitalizationI haven't returned and do not plan to till I'm mentally safe

A little background my mental health has taken a turn for the worst and I'm struggling to find motivation every day to do much of anything my depression has taken over my life he says I hardly leave my room and that I'm lazy he and his boyfriend have been taking pictures of the kitchen before I have a chance to clean it after I eat and stuff like that to compile against me to report to my land lord he also tells if don't return to work he's going to report to my land lord iv talked to someone about it and the said it could be Sen as hate or discrimination I just need advive thank you

sorry for my rant!

I Dont know US rules, But as long as you pay what You're supposed to pay and are not damaging any property... I Dont see what kind of case he would have...

Dont let him get you down...

When you say "your apartment" do you mean the leash is on your name ?

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/legal-tactics1

I found this web site for you to use , you should call here and if they can't help you they should be able to tell you who to call. You have rights and I believes your roommate may be violating them.

Last edited:
A deadbeat is someone who doesn't pay his debts. If you're keeping up with the rent and utilities, then there is no reason for the landlord to be involved. The landlord doesn't care about his renters' personal relationships. He just wants his money and no damages done to his property.

Like WDYS posted, renters have legal rights. Also, it depends on how your lease is written up as to who is "boss" of your rental. That is, who amongst the roommates gets to decide who stays and who goes.

Hate or discrimination doesn't really have any legal bearing between roommates. That would only matter if the landlord was doing the discrimination or harassment.

However, for your mental health wellbeing, you might want to find a more positive living situation. If you are having mental health issues, it doesn't seem like your current roommates are an encouragement for you.

Can your social services counselor help you find a better living situation?

A deadbeat is someone who doesn't pay his debts. If you're keeping up with the rent and utilities, then there is no reason for the landlord to be involved. The landlord doesn't care about his renters' personal relationships. He just wants his money and no damages done to his property.

Like WDYS posted, renters have legal rights. Also, it depends on how your lease is written up as to who is "boss" of your rental. That is, who amongst the roommates gets to decide who stays and who goes.

Hate or discrimination doesn't really have any legal bearing between roommates. That would only matter if the landlord was doing the discrimination or harassment.

However, for your mental health wellbeing, you might want to find a more positive living situation. If you are having mental health issues, it doesn't seem like your current roommates are an encouragement for you.

Can your social services counselor help you find a better living situation?
I would like to find something better but im on the lease and so is he

I have a roommate who has trying to get me kicked out of my apartment because I'm not currently working im on social security so I can afford rent and utilities
but he calls me a unmotivated deadbeat and everything you can imagine because he's working and I'm not I was working but do to a recent hospitalizationI haven't returned and do not plan to till I'm mentally safe

A little background my mental health has taken a turn for the worst and I'm struggling to find motivation every day to do much of anything my depression has taken over my life he says I hardly leave my room and that I'm lazy he and his boyfriend have been taking pictures of the kitchen before I have a chance to clean it after I eat and stuff like that to compile against me to report to my land lord he also tells if don't return to work he's going to report to my land lord iv talked to someone about it and the said it could be Sen as hate or discrimination I just need advive thank you

sorry for my rant!

Do you have families? If so, try to contact them and explain to them about your situation with mental health.

My psychiatrist doesn't recommended me to have roommate and I need stable place to live, not deal with roommate issues.

Do you have families? If so, try to contact them and explain to them about your situation with mental health.

My psychiatrist doesn't recommended me to have roommate and I need stable place to live, not deal with roommate issues.

That's why I live alone in my apartment with my dog. Even though I pay a huge price, but I have a peace of mind. I don't need any more problems from anyone.

When you say "your apartment" do you mean the leash is on your name ?

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/legal-tactics1

I found this web site for you to use , you should call here and if they can't help you they should be able to tell you who to call. You have rights and I believes your roommate may be violating them.

I don't have family and hardly any friends I got this place because I would have been homeless if I did not now it would seem I'm going to be in the winter months

oh, dear. Having a roommate sucks. It's got pros and cons. I think you will be fine as long as you pay for rental stuff and keep the landlord happy. Just ignore your roommate. If your roommate pesters you, you can go to a library or Starbucks by yourself. I really like Reba's suggestion.

I don't have family and hardly any friends I got this place because I would have been homeless if I did not now it would seem I'm going to be in the winter months
HUH??? I was asking if your name was on the leash and I posted a link for you get free legal advice .

is his boyfriend on the lease? Does his boyfriend live there too?

if so, that is the whole problem right there. They both colluded and want you gone so they can live there.

is his boyfriend on the lease? Does his boyfriend live there too?

if so, that is the whole problem right there. They both colluded and want you gone so they can live there.

Poster already noted that they and the roommate are on the lease... nothing about the boyfriend so it would lead one to think that the boyfriend does NOT live there.

That's wise. I agree with your psychiatrist's recommendation.

Poster already noted that they and the roommate are on the lease... nothing about the boyfriend so it would lead one to think that the boyfriend does NOT live there.
He dose live here he not on the lease but he acts as if he's entitled to everything I just found out that my heat and electric bill are double what they have been I don't use the heat in my apartment I just use blankets his boyfriend has the heat at 80 all day I don't leave my room soo my room remains cold my electric bill I have one 40 watt lamp in my room and that's about all I use he and his boyfriend use the washer and dryer everyday so that's most of that bill right there and I pay the electricity I don't know what to do it didn't use to be this bad

I would dies with the heat on that high! 74 is too hot for me. Why you don't turn the heat down ? It looks like you may have to move into low incoming housing if you can't afford an apartment on your own. Roommates can be a huge pain in the butt! I find the best way to lose a friend is renting an apartment with them!

He dose live here he not on the lease but he acts as if he's entitled to everything I just found out that my heat and electric bill are double what they have been I don't use the heat in my apartment I just use blankets his boyfriend has the heat at 80 all day I don't leave my room soo my room remains cold my electric bill I have one 40 watt lamp in my room and that's about all I use he and his boyfriend use the washer and dryer everyday so that's most of that bill right there and I pay the electricity I don't know what to do it didn't use to be this bad

ahh gotcha. Well... that's just screwed up they're acting like that and sounds like they likely won't want to compromise or anything either :(. I don't know if you could say anything to the landlord that there's an extra person living there more than half the time... not familiar with how leases and occupancy allowances work for roommates or more than one person on the lease (I've lived alone except for once- that time did have a roommate...that was an...adventure. Not horrible but certainly challenging :P).

I hope you do figure something out- your roommate and boyfriend sound like a real prize....(not?).

Back