I need advice

AandEMomma

Reaction score
Hello My name is Sara I have two hearing Impaired children with a sevear sesrinorial hearing loss. I recently moved to West Virginia from Maryland. My daughter went to Maryland School for the deaf and my son was mainstreemed with an interpretor until he was accepted. before my son went to MSD we had to move now in west virginia there is only one school for the deaf and that is in Romney and it is an hour and a half from my place and the school system wants to boared my kids they are only 5 and 3 I do not know what to do does any one know anything about west virginia's policy's I want my kids to go to MSD but tuition is expensive and they need to be with the cutlure at least my son does because he only communicates through ASL

Too young for boarding! Hope that someone here can help you. Welcome to AD. :wave:

:welcome: to AD...I live in Maryland and know about MSD. However, WEst Virginia..I do not know much but have Deaf friends living there. I can inquire about the eduational system for deaf children for you, if you want me to.

Thanks all! Yes any help works! I wrote a letter to Michelle Obama telling here they need to revise the No child left behind act to help deaf and hard of hearing children I really do not want to mainstreem my children there is nothing wrong with it but my son just recently started communicating using ASL he stopped talking when he started school but MSD did wonders for my daughter

Give some time for people to respond. There are several people who can offer you information and advice. I'm just part of the welcoming committee. :D

I definately will Im just gathering Information because I have to make decidions for schooling soon probally within 2 weeks I just want what is best for my children without boarding them so like the saying goes "good things come to those that wait"

Hi and welcome.
When I was a youngster, I lived about one hour and a half away from a deaf preschool, and they wanted to put me to board at school. Luckily, my mother put her foot down and said definitely not. So I commuted to school by taxi and two buses but it's better than being away from home

Since you don't like the idea of boarding them now then follow thru with your feeling. I hope you'll get some help soon.

Good luck.

See if they will help you get transportation services by explaining the children are simply too young to be in the dorms.

See if they will help you get transportation services by explaining the children are simply too young to be in the dorms.

Her home school district is responsible for arranging and paying for transportation. She may need to remind them of their obligation, though.

I definately will Im just gathering Information because I have to make decidions for schooling soon probally within 2 weeks I just want what is best for my children without boarding them so like the saying goes "good things come to those that wait"

I'm sure that shel90 will come up with some useful information for you. She is a pro, and has a great concern for the education of all deaf students. It may be necessary for you to mainstream for a short time while placement at a deaf school is worked out, but don't give up and don't let them put you off. Request a new IEP every week if you have to.

Eeeekkk, yeah. I think overall we do think that most little kids should not be in the dorms.
Dorms have their place, but for most little kids they need to live at home, and go to school.
I also thought that WVSD wasn't too good...it was one of those schools that is in desperate need of upgrading?
So are you saying that the ONLY option is deaf school or mainstream school in WV? No regional programs?

Hello My name is Sara I have two hearing Impaired children with a sevear sesrinorial hearing loss. I recently moved to West Virginia from Maryland. My daughter went to Maryland School for the deaf and my son was mainstreemed with an interpretor until he was accepted. before my son went to MSD we had to move now in west virginia there is only one school for the deaf and that is in Romney and it is an hour and a half from my place and the school system wants to boared my kids they are only 5 and 3 I do not know what to do does any one know anything about west virginia's policy's I want my kids to go to MSD but tuition is expensive and they need to be with the cutlure at least my son does because he only communicates through ASL

That is crazy they want you to board your children, especially at such a young age. They are required by federal law to provide your children with a Free and Appropriate Public Education, and one in which is fully accessible among other things.

If that school is absolutely the only option that will provide them with peers and staff who are fluent in ASL then it would likely be worth it for them to make the commute. Your local school district would be financially responsible for providing your children with transportation to and from the school.

It would be worth looking into whether or not there are any other local or regional programs (as DeafDyke pointed out) that use ASL or TC within the program. Even if just for your younger daughter for the next year or two. You'll have to weigh out all the pros and cons of the available options. We have another poster here whose daughter commutes to a Bi-Bi program. I'm sure she'd be able to speak of some of the benefits and challenges from the commute.

I would definitely stick to your guns about them being in a program that uses
ASL/TC as the primary mode of communication.

Good luck! I hope it all works out sooner than later.

That is crazy they want you to board your children, especially at such a young age. They are required by federal law to provide your children with a Free and Appropriate Public Education, and one in which is fully accessible among other things.

If that school is absolutely the only option that will provide them with peers and staff who are fluent in ASL then it would likely be worth it for them to make the commute. Your local school district would be financially responsible for providing your children with transportation to and from the school.

It would be worth looking into whether or not there are any other local or regional programs (as DeafDyke pointed out) that use ASL or TC within the program. Even if just for your younger daughter for the next year or two. You'll have to weigh out all the pros and cons of the available options. We have another poster here whose daughter commutes to a Bi-Bi program. I'm sure she'd be able to speak of some of the benefits and challenges from the commute.

I would definitely stick to your guns about them being in a program that uses
ASL/TC as the primary mode of communication.

Good luck! I hope it all works out sooner than later.

TC iis not a mode of communication. It is a teaching methodology.:roll:

TC iis not a mode of communication. It is a teaching methodology.:roll:

If you are going to split hairs about it, TC is a philosophy of communication, not an educational method or teaching methodology. But then, I think csign's meaning was pretty clear, in that pursuing a program with access to ASL, whether in an ASL program or a TC program, is critical.

If you are going to split hairs about it, TC is a philosophy of communication, not an educational method or teaching methodology. But then, I think csign's meaning was pretty clear, in that pursuing a program with access to ASL, whether in an ASL program or a TC program, is critical.

A philosophy of communition devised to be used as a teaching methodology.

Looks like you still have your superwoman cape on, and are out there looking for poor victims to save.:laugh2: You have enough trouble explaining your own vacilating posts. Better to leave everyone else's alone.

The phrase was used as follows: ASL/TC. That arrangement is used when two things are comparable. ASL and TC are not comparable, and therefore, the entire phrasing was mistaken and a misrepresentation of the various types of programs available to deaf students. Now go away, you are an annoyance when you are in this frame of mind.

Jillio- please don't turn EVERY SINGLE thread into a battle. There is absolutely no need for it, and it's certainly not productive. Thank you.

http://www.raisingdeafkids.org/communicating/choices/

This is a list of communication options for individuals who are DHH:

"Learn to use his hearing and speak.
This is called the auditory-oral method.
This method teaches children to listen, read lips and speak.
Learn to use the hearing he has left.
This is called the auditory-verbal therapy.
This method helps children use whatever hearing they have left.
This method does not encourage lipreading.
Learn American Sign Language
This is called bilingualism/biculturalism.
With this method, children learn American Sign Language and become part of Deaf Culture.Learn to use handshapes that stand for sounds.This is called cued speech.This method gives people a way to "see" English.
It uses handshapes to "show" the sounds you can't see by reading lips.
Learn to use some of these methods together.
This is called total communication.
This approach uses different ways of communicating together, like signing and talking at
the same time."

Last edited:
Back