I may have a fur-ever friend?

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well, I went to my Aunt Sue last week to fix her lawn mower, then today to install a fence (pen) on the side of her house. She is fostering some dogs.
One of the pups is an older brindle boxer mix and is very well trained, I think I fell in love with her and filled out adoption papers today for her.
She knows every command and I think she will make a great service dog for me. When you walk around she walks besides you, when you sit, she sits besides you. Doesnt bark or run off when you throw something, she waits for a release command. My aunt nor the shelter she is fostering for knew this ( I just happened to try some commands to see how well or if she even had any training ) good god, she is amazing, I want her !!!!! She was rescued from a high kill shelter, had a cancerous tumor removed from her leg, all shots and neg test results so she is healthy.

Dont know why the internet pic looks like crap, she is actually very beautiful, dark face, not grey/white.

Attachments

• zena.jpg
    zena.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 36
I love brindle coloring. Our Shih Tzu is a black brindle. You usually can only see it when her hair is freshly cut.

I took my wife and son last night to see her, we stayed at my aunts for about 3 hours playing with Zena, she is amazing, very gentle. We are sold on her.

I hate to bring this up but the Corgi mixed dog that bite Marty on his butt for no reason had fur that color. So whenever I see a dog that with color fur I keep Marty away for it. Are these dogs know for being aggressive , I know Corgi can be .

I hate to bring this up but the Corgi mixed dog that bite Marty on his butt for no reason had fur that color. So whenever I see a dog that with color fur I keep Marty away for it. Are these dogs know for being aggressive , I know Corgi can be .

Better way to judge a dog then fur color:
doggie-language.jpg

Last edited:
Better way to judge a dog the fur color:
doggie-language.jpg

I know how to read dig body language, the dog that bite Marty gave no warning . The two dogs did their doggies thing of sniffing butts and as I was walking away with Marty on his leash the other dog just lunge out and bite my dog butt. The dog was a recuse dog and the owners did not know a lot about it. When I see a person with a dog they just adopted from a shelter I walk away , b/c the owners does not know enough about their dog . I will stop here . I do not want to hijack this thread anymore.

My aunt works with the lady who handles the apps, I think it will, my other aunt is fostering it, so I got 2 vouching for me on top of the application. lol
Also with my daughter being a vet tech, my wife is a dog trainer and has show dogs, I think it helps that it shows they are in good hands.

Dont know for sure on the age, it just says Senior, I will find out more once I get her.

Boxers are not normally aggressive nor is the Brindle color...lol
Boxers are barkers, but this one does not bark unless you command her to do so (speak) which I love... I hate dogs that yip yap at everything for no reason.

Whoever did have her, trained her correctly.

I really wouldn't recommend a senior dog that has had cancer as a service dog. Two reasons. One, that dog is fairly old, I would guess at least 7 or 8. Dogs with cancer die very quickly. She's had one cancerous tumor removed, she's likely to have more. You need to find out what kind of cancer that was. If you can get a dog to live 6 more months after a cancer diagnosis for most cancers, that's huge. It's like 6 years in a human. If it was a mast cell tumor, there are likely more to come (and that's one of the cancers that dogs live longest with). My brother's dog died of mast cell cancer at 3.

I have a dog with cancer right now. She was diagnosed at a year of age and now she's almost four, which is extremely rare. The vets can't figure out why the medications are working so well on her cancer. She's cancer free but not in remission and never will be. She takes a cocktail of drugs and gets medical tests that have cost me about 20k in three years. Stress is one of the things that makes cancer worse. That's why I decided to not make her my service dog though she'd be awesome. I value her life more than my needs. When things are stressful and there are changes going on in our home, her blood values actually change for the worse and we have to adjust her medications. Training her for all the situations a service dog has to go through at her age could be a considerable amount of stress on her.

So for a dog that is near retirement age already for service dogs, that has cancer, I think a happy life in your home is a better alternative. FWIW, I'm also a former vet tech, have show dogs and train dogs.

I really wouldn't recommend a senior dog that has had cancer as a service dog. Two reasons. One, that dog is fairly old, I would guess at least 7 or 8. Dogs with cancer die very quickly. She's had one cancerous tumor removed, she's likely to have more. You need to find out what kind of cancer that was. If you can get a dog to live 6 more months after a cancer diagnosis for most cancers, that's huge. It's like 6 years in a human. If it was a mast cell tumor, there are likely more to come (and that's one of the cancers that dogs live longest with). My brother's dog died of mast cell cancer at 3.

I have a dog with cancer right now. She was diagnosed at a year of age and now she's almost four, which is extremely rare. The vets can't figure out why the medications are working so well on her cancer. She's cancer free but not in remission and never will be. She takes a cocktail of drugs and gets medical tests that have cost me about 20k in three years. Stress is one of the things that makes cancer worse. That's why I decided to not make her my service dog though she'd be awesome. I value her life more than my needs. When things are stressful and there are changes going on in our home, her blood values actually change for the worse and we have to adjust her medications. Training her for all the situations a service dog has to go through at her age could be a considerable amount of stress on her.

So for a dog that is near retirement age already for service dogs, that has cancer, I think a happy life in your home is a better alternative. FWIW, I'm also a former vet tech, have show dogs and train dogs.

They did a full battery/scans and found nothing more, everything came back negative. It was a small bump on her lower front leg that they removed. It was a full sack so it didnt burst or anything... She has a clean bill of health.
Im not talking full blown service dog, just a few simple target trainings (smoke detector, door... a few important things for me)
She will be with me basically 100% of the time anyways...and she would make a great playmate for my son, they played well at my aunts and Zena is very very gentle.

I hope you get her. I love hearing that an older dog has found a new home. She sounds like she just wants to please you.

Most of tumors are not the bad kind. Most of time they end being fatty tissue.

Im not a vet but experienced 2 of my rescue dogs having fatty tumors at older age n they were fine

I wouldnt think twice if the dogs personality is great fit for me to adopt even if the dog only have few more years its still worth it.

Im a proud owner of 2 senior citzens now lol both rescues

Back