I like ASL more than talking?

Sara3502

Reaction score
I'm learning sign language from friends in the class (its not offered at my high school, but it is at theirs) and various stuff online. Often when I'm talking I find I wish everyone knew a little bit of ASL because it has so much more emotion in it than english, and you can get your point across quickly. Anyone else agree?

Sometimes. But ultimately, youre able to express yourself much better speaking, if you have an extensive vocabulary. But I agree, for some things, ASL is better.

284142_502663086424666_1552832339_n.jpg

Yeah, true with knowing a lot more english vocab than ASL, but I just really love sign. And that comic is so true!

I kind of get what you mean though; wishing that people knew some sign. I'm just starting out but I find myself sometimes signing something first before or while I'm speaking it. Quick things like "thank you" or "no". I usually catch myself before I can finish it but it comes easier sometimes.

I just want to know why you made a statement and then stuck a question mark on the end of it. Are you asking us if you like ASL better than speaking? I don't friggin know if you do or not.

Maybe I should put the vodka down......

But seriously, what do you talk all dead pan? You have no emotional inflection while speaking? No animation at all? This comparison just baffles me.

Sorry, thanks for the correction on my bad grammar choice. And we do have emotion, I act in school and have to use my voice to express many emotions, but I still see ASL as just expressive- if not more. This is just my thoughts, and I'm sure that anyone could find contradictions. :)

I just want to know why you made a statement and then stuck a question mark on the end of it. Are you asking us if you like ASL better than speaking? I don't friggin know if you do or not.

But seriously, what do you talk all dead pan? You have no emotional inflection while speaking? No animation at all? This comparison just baffles me.

Thats what I thought too. lol. its not just you.

I love 'That Deaf Guy' comics! They crack me up every time :)
And I'd definitely rather sign than talk. Verbal conversations are so exhausting for me nowadays, but the more I sign, the less people want to talk with me...I guess because they're afraid of visual communication LOL

There are visual people and auditory people. Everyone finds a way to express themselves and I doubt one language is better at it than the other.

You have to remember though that not everyone experiences the world the same way you do. I miss much of the emotion or inflection when people talk. That's doesn't mean that English isn't expressive but that when I hear it it is not. The visual world is what does it for me.

Hearing people who are overly expressive when speaking are often thought of as weird/histrionic/crazy.

I'm learning sign language from friends in the class (its not offered at my high school, but it is at theirs) and various stuff online. Often when I'm talking I find I wish everyone knew a little bit of ASL because it has so much more emotion in it than english, and you can get your point across quickly. Anyone else agree?

no

There are visual people and auditory people. Everyone finds a way to express themselves and I doubt one language is better at it than the other.

You have to remember though that not everyone experiences the world the same way you do. I miss much of the emotion or inflection when people talk. That's doesn't mean that English isn't expressive but that when I hear it it is not. The visual world is what does it for me.

Hearing people who are overly expressive when speaking are often thought of as weird/histrionic/crazy.

Then that must be me. When I was in junior high there were 2 boys in one of my classes that would count how many faces I made during one period. This was years and years before I started losing my hearing.

It's not just inflection, something you can hear. You can usually see, visually, emotions on people faces when they're talking. Is everyone so focused on reading lips that you don't see it? If someone is exasperated, happy, amused, sad, smug, embarrassed and on and on, you're going to be able to see it on their faces whether they're using English Spanish Spanglish or ASL. That's what I don't get. People, all people, no matter the language they are using, communicate with more than just words.

Then that must be me. When I was in junior high there were 2 boys in one of my classes that would count how many faces I made during one period. This was years and years before I started losing my hearing.

It's not just inflection, something you can hear. You can usually see, visually, emotions on people faces when they're talking. Is everyone so focused on reading lips that you don't see it? If someone is exasperated, happy, amused, sad, smug, embarrassed and on and on, you're going to be able to see it on their faces whether they're using English Spanish Spanglish or ASL. That's what I don't get. People, all people, no matter the language they are using, communicate with more than just words.

I meant everything too. Not just your tone of voice but facial and body language. I've had plenty of people think I'm weird or over-the-top when speaking. People laugh but I think they're also put off a bit by it.

Absolutly, i don't disagree at all. In fact i said i thought they where probably equal. A lot is in the face and body language but a lot is in the voice too. I'm just saying that for visual people a visual language is probably more expressive. For people who are very auditory english probably holds more for them. Some people like paintings more than music. I don't think that means in general terms one is more expressive that the other only just to that specific person.

I meant everything too. Not just your tone of voice but facial and body language. I've had plenty of people think I'm weird or over-the-top when speaking. People laugh but I think they're also put off a bit by it.

I wish more people where like you. I can't read subtle people at all :lol: Plus subtle people are boring. Probably why i married a theater major :D

I guess I don't understand the need for the comparison in the first place?? Why would one be more expressive than the other? I just don't get it lol

I hear that! Words like animated and graphic have been used to describe me :) a poker face I do not have no. I would suck at poker.

Especially the people just learning it, I especially don't get. I mean, how expressive could you possibly with such a limited vocabulary? Unless you just start to resort to charades and making stuff up?

Sorry, thanks for the correction on my bad grammar choice. And we do have emotion, I act in school and have to use my voice to express many emotions, but I still see ASL as just expressive- if not more. This is just my thoughts, and I'm sure that anyone could find contradictions. :)
Hello Sara3502,

Sometimes second ASL language. it is pretty emotion ASL expert self expression
how study on ASL proper grammar. cause second language mistake. It is misunderstand Second English.

It is very pretty brilliant alots of though how figure out smart. it is best do it things. expression practice ASL. develop ASL lots of growth on cultures!

Back