I have questions for deaf people who goes or went to colleges

MetroGuy03

Reaction score
I always wonder why many deaf people prefer to go to Galluadet University or NTID/RIT or CSUN? Why not they want to go to random school like UCLA or UCSB or Harvard or Princeton or ASU or UW or any public or private universities?

I have nothing against Galluadet or NTID/RIT or CSUN... I don't want to go there just because deaf people goes there. I rather to go to random school like I go to Art Institute of Seattle... Why? I want to achieve my goals, focus on my education, offer opportunities, and educate hearing people that deaf people can do anything too. I plan to go to another random school to receive my masters of business administration (MBA).

I met so many hearing people that are very naives about deaf people. They never met deaf people before or have no knowledges about how to work with deaf people. I feel that deaf people shouldn't just depend on Galluadet, NTID/RIT, or CSUN just for deaf social or deaf culture experience... They should think about their education and future. Also help hearing people across the country and the world realize that deaf people can do anything too than isolated themself in deaf schools.

I personally know some deaf people goes to random schools just do exactly same thing as I am doing right now. But still not very many of them do that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I always wonder why many deaf people prefer to go to Galluadet University or NTID/RIT or CSUN? Why not they want to go to random school like UCLA or UCSB or Harvard or Princeton or ASU or UW or any public or private universities?

I have nothing against Galluadet or NTID/RIT or CSUN... I don't want to go there just because deaf people goes there. I rather to go to random school like I go to Art Institute of Seattle... Why? I want to achieve my goals, focus on my education, offer opportunities, and educate hearing people that deaf people can do anything too. I plan to go to another random school to receive my masters of business administration (MBA).

I met so many hearing people that are very naives about deaf people. They never met deaf people before or have no knowledges about how to work with deaf people. I feel that deaf people shouldn't just depend on Galluadet, NTID/RIT, or CSUN just for deaf social or deaf culture experience... They should think about their education and future. Also help hearing people across the country and the world realize that deaf people can do anything too than isolated themself in deaf schools.

I personally know some deaf people goes to random schools just do exactly same thing as I am doing right now. But still not very many of them do that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes, Metroguy, that naivete that you mentioned that hearing people have about deaf people can get int he way of your getting a complete education at a random school. There are some very good mainstream colleges that have exccellent disability services and those generally have fairly large deaf populations, along with other people with disabilites. But you do have to be careful that your institution has enough knowledge and understanding of deafness and necessary accommodations to insure that you have complete access to education.

Sometimes, Metroguy, that naivete that you mentioned that hearing people have about deaf people can get int he way of your getting a complete education at a random school. There are some very good mainstream colleges that have exccellent disability services and those generally have fairly large deaf populations, along with other people with disabilites. But you do have to be careful that your institution has enough knowledge and understanding of deafness and necessary accommodations to insure that you have complete access to education.

Yes I deal with that before but I got that solved. I am not letting any hearing people stop me from doing what I want to do period.

I rather to challenge them and educate them. I feel that if I do that, it will change for the better and more open to more deaf people.

Yes I deal with that before but I got that solved. I am not letting any hearing people stop me from doing what I want to do period.

I rather to challenge them and educate them. I feel that if I do that, it will change for the better and more open to more deaf people.

I like your attitude! :h5:

i've been to mainstream college such as Anoka-ramsey community college
north-hennipen community college
Ridgewater college.. <-- this is the best one i ever been to and yeah a football team!(GO WARRIORS!) (we also had 3 former deaf players in this team)

For my BA degree I went to a state university..Arizona State U.

For my Master's, I went to Gallaudet cuz I needed to improve my signing skills and my brother was a student there. We had never experienced going to the same school since I was mainstreamed all the way and he went to the Deaf school all the way.

I never knew how big of an impact going to Gallaudet would have on my life. It was a life changing experience and I grew as a deaf person during my years there. I am so thankful that Gallaudet existed.

For my BA degree I went to a state university..Arizona State U.

For my Master's, I went to Gallaudet cuz I needed to improve my signing skills and my brother was a student there. We had never experienced going to the same school since I was mainstreamed all the way and he went to the Deaf school all the way.

I never knew how big of an impact going to Gallaudet would have on my life. It was a life changing experience and I grew as a deaf person during my years there. I am so thankful that Gallaudet existed.

Really? Care to elaborate?

In 1980s, there werent many universities willing to provide interpreting services. I was accepted by 3 private universities and 1 local state university but they did not have interpreting services so I opted to go to one of these 3 mentioned colleges mainly to recieve support services.

If I am going to an university these days, I would have opted to go to a local state university or a private college as I can easily fight for my rights and this local university does now finally provide support services but it is too late but not too late for younger Deaf people :)

By the way I was like Shel90 - it was a HUGE cultural shock but it really made me mature and know my true identity - yes it was damn hard but wouldnt trade it for anything else as it has given me character and understanding of Deaf community & culture. Had I opted for a local university, I probably would have remained an oral person to this day, ignorant of this world.

Really? Care to elaborate?

I grew up orally and identified myself as a "hearing" person despite being born with severe-profound bilateral hearing loss. I didnt know anything about Deaf culture nor ASL and I have always been ashamed of my deafness and blamed myself for not meeting the hearing standards. Going to Gallaudet changed that. Now, I am happy with who I am.

In 1980s, there werent many universities willing to provide interpreting services. I was accepted by 3 private universities and 1 local state university but they did not have interpreting services so I opted to go to one of these 3 mentioned colleges mainly to recieve support services.

If I am going to an university these days, I would have opted to go to a local state university or a private college as I can easily fight for my rights and this local university does now finally provide support services but it is too late but not too late for younger Deaf people :)

By the way I was like Shel90 - it was a HUGE cultural shock but it really made me mature and know my true identity - yes it was damn hard but wouldnt trade it for anything else as it has given me character and understanding of Deaf community & culture. Had I opted for a local university, I probably would have remained an oral person to this day, ignorant of this world.

same here if I had never gone to Gally. :)

I would never go to Gallaudet or NTID because I think there's plenty of options going to a regular college with good disability services which is good enough. I can social with maybe 10-20 deaf people who go to the same college as I do and also social with hearing people, too. If I were to go back to college, I will go to a random college that I really want to attain my goals.

But you do have to be careful that your institution has enough knowledge and understanding of deafness and necessary accommodations to insure that you have complete access to education.
Yes, that's generally the problem. While some colleges (eg large or top tier) have excellent disabilty services, a lot of times the disabilty services are very generic and targeted more towards learning disabled students, rather then dhh students. I really wish I'd gone to Gally for undergrad b/c services at the schools I attended were really crappy. If I'd gotten the proper services then I could have done much much much better!

. . . I really wish I'd gone to Gally for undergrad b/c services at the schools I attended were really crappy. If I'd gotten the proper services then I could have done much much much better!

I attended two Assemblies of God colleges and had to sit in the back row for most of my classes AND copy notes from someone else in class because I couldn't hear. Stripes of a leopard, they never change. Neither do these two "colleges," even though the one had a weak deaf program when I was there. :roll: I never received any help while there. If I had known about all the problems I'd encounter in a "Christian" college, I would have gone to Gally.

I am aware of 1980 situation because we had no rights to have an interpreter or notetaker at that time. Lucky it changed... Thanks to ADA law. I was talking about present day not long time ago.

Thanks for gave me new perceptive on college education for the Deaf. :)

I grew up orally and identified myself as a "hearing" person despite being born with severe-profound bilateral hearing loss. I didnt know anything about Deaf culture nor ASL and I have always been ashamed of my deafness and blamed myself for not meeting the hearing standards. Going to Gallaudet changed that. Now, I am happy with who I am.

WOW! That's great to hear! I'm glad you discovered your own identifiy. I didn't know that Gallaudet University have the impact on deaf people who grew up orally. That is really interesting perceptive. Thanks for sharing! :)

I would never go to Gallaudet or NTID because I think there's plenty of options going to a regular college with good disability services which is good enough. I can social with maybe 10-20 deaf people who go to the same college as I do and also social with hearing people, too. If I were to go back to college, I will go to a random college that I really want to attain my goals.

I agree. Be glad, we are living this lifetime where we all have the rights to go any college that got disability offices would provide an interpreters and notetakers. It gives deaf people more opportunities to access and achieve their goals.

I agree. Be glad, we are living this lifetime where we all have the rights to go any college that got disability offices would provide an interpreters and notetakers. It gives deaf people more opportunities to access and achieve their goals.

I am glad cuz ASU's disability service center was great! Met my needs starting with oral terps, changing to using CART, and then eventually to using sign language terps when my ASL receptive skills became better. They didnt question about all the different requests cuz it seemed like they recognized the fact that I needed to try different kinds of assistance to see which worked the best for me. :)

I am glad cuz ASU's disability service center was great! Met my needs starting with oral terps, changing to using CART, and then eventually to using sign language terps when my ASL receptive skills became better. They didnt question about all the different requests cuz it seemed like they recognized the fact that I needed to try different kinds of assistance to see which worked the best for me. :)

That's wonderful! :) Glad to hear that you got that worked out for you. :)

That's wonderful! :) Glad to hear that you got that worked out for you. :)

:ty:

I have no regrets going to ASU nor going to Gally. I probably wouldnt have survived at Gallaudet if I went there directly after high school because I was in denial about my deafness and didnt know ASL. With that attitude, for sure I would have been bullied big time at Gallaudet. It is sad that some people continue that behavior into college but it happens...

Back