I have a question

I've been Hoh/Deaf my entire life - and I don't have a name sign either. My name is 3 letters long and just as fast to spell as it would be to sign using a name sign.

I actaully know a LOT of people in my community who've been in the DC their entire lives and because their names are short, don't have ANS/DNS - because it's just as fast, and fluid to spell it!

There are also a number of people who's name signs are actually a stylized version of their spelled names (a bit like loan signs). Examples that come to mind are: Sylvia & Chris, but there are many more.

if your name is easy to fingerspell.. you don't need a name sign. I don't have one either and I'm not fretting over it

me too... but then again... my name is only 3 letters long...

if your name is easy to fingerspell.. you don't need a name sign. I don't have one either and I'm not fretting over it

I know :) I think some times people (mainly hearing people/ASL students, LD etc) mistake having a name sign as being "accepted" by Hoh/Deaf. Or that Deaf people will think "more" of them somehow because they have a Name Sign.
The truth is that not everyone has or needs a Name Sign. There are Deaf people who are 3rd or 4th generation Deaf who's name is such that their fingerspelled name IS their name sign (and no one would claim they are "less Deaf" for not having a "proper" ANS or DNS.)

Having a name sign doesn't make you "Deaf" (or accepted by Hoh/Deaf) anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Last edited:
I would never tell my son not sign with his siblings, this to me is going to be their communication, but they are signs that his teachers are teaching him for his siblings and I didn't know if that was ok or not.

I would never tell my son not sign with his siblings, this to me is going to be their communication, but they are signs that his teachers are teaching him for his siblings and I didn't know if that was ok or not.

I'm confused... if a teacher is teaching him signs, why would that not be ok to use with his siblings? Personally I'd be delighted that a teacher was making my life easier by teaching him more sign to use at home. Not sure if I am reading your post right... :hmm:

The way that it is coming across to me, (keep in mind I still consider myself new to this so don't burn me up to much :) is that a member of the deaf community has to give the name sign? Yes? Obviously I am mommy and daddy is such which he actually refers to the car as mommy but whatever we are getting there, But his teachers are the ones who taught him to use these particuliar signs for his siblings. Is this him giving them the signs or the teachers?

Oh trust me since he started school in March it has been 180% change. He went from using just basic signs to giving me two and three signs in a sentence. But no asl they are doing SEE.

Did the teacher teach him"sign names" for his siblings or simply teach him the signs for "brother" or "sister"?

She is having him do their first initial with the sign for brother and sister and baby. Rhys is formed with R/boy goes to baby then Feeny is his sister F/sister and Brodie B/sister. He has them perfectly to, which is odd because he is going to be 4 in Feb so I am kind of amazed he has picked his alphabet up so fluently. But he forms them so well I would hate to confuse him at this point.

ah ok, my opinion is that it is perfectly fine his teacher gave him specific way to identify each sibling (since spelling out their full names might be too much for him).

Questions are good! And remember, get lots of opinions on things. Maybe others have different opinion than mine and am sure they will share theirs. :)

Friend suggested lawyer sign but I don't like it. It doesn't capture my true personality. At least it wasn't unflattering. Maybe it was? lol

I'm glad that you like it. I've been thinking about changing it because I think other people may be annoyed by it. I get bored with my signature and change it frequently. Dancing Death Eaters makes me giggle.

I wouldn't mind the death eaters dancing so much if they would just dance to different song every once in a while!!!!

Oh, wait... that's my tinnitus playing. sigh...

I was given my first name sign by my mom but upon learning this, I had to dismiss that because my mom is hearing. So technically I did not have a proper name sign for me until my deaf peers gave me one however it did not last too long (just used to avoid further confusion at school). Finally, my friends and I decided that I should have a new name sign and lo and behold I finally have a sign that I like.

Either that name sign or finger spell my name will do.

Back