I have a question.

someone with their own agenda who thinks they know it ALL
Or someone who's closed minded. I don't understand one iota WHY some deafies are STILL totally and adamantly against the CI. While I'm not all out for the CI, I do think that in some cases the CI is THE only option for some deaf kids, like kids with auditory nereopathy (hearing aids don't help) or kids with progressive losses (like darkangel) or kids who were relatively late-deafened and kids who get nothing or very little benifit from hearing aids.
I can understand why some Deaf are anti-CI....I mean just a few years ago, the experts who are now pushing CIs and oral-only were saying that hearing aids could boost the residual hearing of almost all deaf kids into the speech banana. Also, the early PR hype for the implants made them sound like a cure or something. Thank god most PR for them is now more realisitc and balanced!

deafdyke said:
Or someone who's closed minded. I don't understand one iota WHY some deafies are STILL totally and adamantly against the CI.

Well, I would say this, life would be soo dull if everyone happen to agree on something that is out there, it's always good to hear two sides either against it or not....

U can't expect every one to see things the same, and I know there are some things I am against but others aren't and I still listen even though it may or may not change my mind....

I've always know that there will be some people out there who will be against CI and some people who aren't.....I used to be one of them because I did not know much about CI back then but now I do ...The only thing I am against CI is when it comes to children who has no choice in it....

I used to be one of them because I did not know much about CI back then but now I do ...The only thing I am against CI is when it comes to children who has no choice in it....
I go back and forth on that issue. On one hand, I do think that kids should be able to help make decisons about some aspects of their medical care. It's their body and their life! I also think that it's too difficult to tell HOW well a baby hears. I mean I bet if you asked all the parents of dhh Alldeafers, they would say that their kids played the "Now I hear you, now I don't game".
Yes, we have technology and early interventions, but technology is very faulty. I know personally of one case where the child was dx via ABR as having a severe loss. Morgan was fitted with aids, and then they went back a year or so later to repeat the test....GUESS WHAT? Morgan had PERFECT hearing! I also know of other kids with weird losses, like they are shown to be profound on ABR, and then they are actually hoh on play and more traditional autremy.
I think if hearing aids benifit them somewhat, then their parents should be legally obliged to wait until they are a little older. I mean I've heard of really good hearing aid users being implanted.(can hear around 60% with aids)..and that's crazy!

deafdyke said:
I go back and forth on that issue. On one hand, I do think that kids should be able to help make decisons about some aspects of their medical care. It's their body and their life!

Absolutely correct, and they are the ' ones ' who going to wear the CI not the parents....

deafdyke said:
I think if hearing aids benifit them somewhat, then their parents should be legally obliged to wait until they are a little older. I mean I've heard of really good hearing aid users being implanted.(can hear around 60% with aids)..and that's crazy!

Correct, I think it's best to wait until they reach to the age of 7/8 or whatever age that a child could make a big decision on having a CI....I don't understand what wrong with wearing hearing aides until they get a little older?...

Some parent out there are thinking ' :bowdown: OMG , There's a cure!! my baby is hearing now, not Deaf '...

Margie said:
I'm againist CI's.
They are very expensive!!and they can cause bad ear infections.
Sign language is alot better and its Free!!!
Margie
Dir. Communcation Services
OCDAC

That's fine that you're not for CI -- that's your personal opinion which I will respect.

But for the claim of CI's causing severe ear infections - that's totally blown out of proportion because it doesn't happen all that often. Maybe like 1 out of 10 will get ear infections for a variety of reasons, not just because of the CI. :roll:

And you said sign language is better and 'free' -- well -- not always free. :) There are heaps of people who have had to attend classes to learn sign language or a foreign language.
For the CI -- some medical insurance companies will cover the entire cost of surgery, implant and post-operation services such as mapping and follow-up appointments.
I got my CI totally free -- thanks to the Australian government as they footed the ENTIRE bill for me. ;)

Well said, Angel!!! :thumb:

It's children who wear rest of their life, because it's their body, not their parents. I beleive to support my children's choice. Children's happiness are the most important to me.

For the CI -- some medical insurance companies will cover the entire cost of surgery, implant and post-operation services such as mapping and follow-up appointments.

I agree with you. I told Margie abt the insurance etc. She didnt even bother to listen. Don't waste your time. All she want us to give her attention abt CI isn't good for us.

She kept saying that she know ASL for many years, also kept saying that asl is free. Well not all the time. Hearing people take a class. It is not free class to learn.

I am sorry for saying this. It is really annoying me. I need to get this out of my chest. sigh!

Liebling:-))) said:
Well said, Angel!!! :thumb:

It's children who wear rest of their life, because it's their body, not their parents. I beleive to support my children's choice. Children's happiness are the most important to me.

Definately, Liebling..how wise of you as mother, most important we support children's choice but at same time we teach them the moral viewpoint to discreet between good and evil things...

I dont condemn anyone who is CI'ed it is their decision. If they felt it wud profit them, then they should be happy...I never never never will condemn CI'ed from Deaf World, no way! But like I said for me, the answer is no...CI is consider alienating my human being.

One parents approached me with their discuss about planning CI'ing their deaf child so she can learn to speak and sense sound...I told parents about my perspective plus deaf culture. I presented with side effects, I dont tell them 'DONT get it CI'ed" I gave out my opinion. In later on, parents came to decision not to do this to their deaf child. I said in secretly praise the Lord :thumb: because deaf child signed to me "I dont want to be CI'ed" whoa this child is heck smart enuff to understand what it is even she is 7 years old image this!

I know a person who had a deaf child even had deaf mother. The mother told kid's mother not to give the son a cochlear implant. Mother tries to explain to kid's mother that can't tell if he is able wear or not wear the cochlear implant. Due the deaf family history root from mother's side family. However; kid's mother decide to get son a cochlear implant. The mother upset and let wait to see when he is growing up. Today, he is 8 years old and total hate his own mother and want move to grandma since grandma upset at everything. Grandma want to raise the grandson since the "Deaf" family has value from their own. The mother and father doesn't sign to him even the mother had two daughter. The father rather to have daughter than the son. Grandma ask the father a why. Father just simple and plain respond as, "it hard to communicate." It went hit grandma and complenttly turn off. The son just happen asked grandma that he want live with them. The mother refuse but grandma went to the court to let the grandson live with them. So the case went won and he is moving to grandma and grandpa. Strange thing that grandpa is hearing. Grandma support CI for who people can or benefit to get cochlear implant. She doesn't believe to give a baby to get cochlear implant due baby is new to the world of all sounds. Never know one year he will hear the sound or not. Today, saddy moment that grandma and the son never see mother again and ever.

It scare me a little to hear about that and doesn't want that happen because I don't believe those childern get that earlier. Image, if I am one of them and for sure that I will regret myself forever.

CI compared to????

If CI only adds to your sensing skills, rather than changing them. How can anyone believe it will change Deaf culture?

If someone receiving a CI, stops signing and becomes more oral. Is this the fault of the CI or the choice of the individual?

It's as if you are saying we must prevent people from hearing to preserve Deaf culture! That's BS!

I've said it before... many children have turned to TV instead of books.. this hurts a "reading culture" but those who sell and read books don't try to ban TV.

It's a choice. Deaf culture will exist for as long as 2 or more people on earth are deaf.

What if a 6th sense that could be added to humans that might change both deaf and hearing culture? Would you argue against that too?

deafdyke said:
Or someone who's closed minded. I don't understand one iota WHY some deafies are STILL totally and adamantly against the CI. While I'm not all out for the CI, I do think that in some cases the CI is THE only option for some deaf kids, like kids with auditory nereopathy (hearing aids don't help) or kids with progressive losses (like darkangel) or kids who were relatively late-deafened and kids who get nothing or very little benifit from hearing aids.
I can understand why some Deaf are anti-CI....I mean just a few years ago, the experts who are now pushing CIs and oral-only were saying that hearing aids could boost the residual hearing of almost all deaf kids into the speech banana. Also, the early PR hype for the implants made them sound like a cure or something. Thank god most PR for them is now more realisitc and balanced!

Feel free to toss this opinion to the wind if you like, but I think you hit it when you talked about needing realistic PR. I think what is needed in the medical community as a whole is a more realistic point of view of outcomes.

I cannot tell you how many times I've run across a doctor, a physical therapist, or someone else in the medical community who thinks they have THE THING that will work for me and my situation, and it's proves to be just another nightmare in a series of nightmares. I think medical science is wonderful, but it has it's kinks, believe me.

Last edited:
Lianca said:
I agree with you. I told Margie abt the insurance etc. She didnt even bother to listen. Don't waste your time. All she want us to give her attention abt CI isn't good for us.

She kept saying that she know ASL for many years, also kept saying that asl is free. Well not all the time. Hearing people take a class. It is not free class to learn.

I am sorry for saying this. It is really annoying me. I need to get this out of my chest. sigh!

Yeah, same here -- I did try to ignore her and her posts, but as of late, she's annoying everyone, I'm pretty sure. :roll:
Shouldn't be critising like that -- it's fine if she gave us her own opinion, but not TELL us what to do. Gee whiz. Get a life, Margie!

I don't understand what wrong with wearing hearing aides until they get a little older?...
Exactly!!!! I mean I am OK with kids with auditory nereopathy or the kids who get little to no benifit from hearing aids, being implanted early on, and I don't think that kids should have to wait til they are grown up to choose the implant....but I just think that if a child gets quite a bit of benifit from aids, that the parents should WAIT until the child's a little older and can help make the decision along with the parents!
but I think you hit it when you talked about needing realistic PR. I think what is needed in the medical community as a whole is a more realistic point of view of outcomes.
Well I have noticed more and more realistic PR in regards to the CI in the past few years. A few years ago they were making it sound like a miricle cure...now they admit that the help varies tremendously just as with hearing aids. You still occasionally see traces of the old miricle cure hype...but even on the implant sites, they admit that the help from CI varies tremendously!
also kept saying that asl is free. Well not all the time. Hearing people take a class. It is not free class to learn.
On the other hand...I don't like Marge's anti-CI rants, but she does have a point. Using ASL IS free, whereas with oralism and oral training your health care costs go WAY up. I mean hearing aids aren't free...and so aren't the batteries, and many of the costs associated with the CI (such as MAPings and batteries and accessories) Someone who knows ASL can function independatly of things like CIs and hearing aids, and doesn't need to depend on expensive health care!

Yes, but remember this Margie's a so-called leader of the deaf who singles out one viable group of the deaf community and ridicules the lifestyle they chose. Jeez, talk about the deaf screwing the deaf!

Last edited:
Hey Margie....what's so special about the CI that you're against it? How come you're not against hearing aids, Auditory Brainstem Implants and BAHA? (bone anchored hearing aid) They aren't cures.....they are just tools for us dhh to get along a little easier in the greater world. We are still deaf when we have those devices on...all those devices do, is to boost our residual hearing so that hearing's a little easier. There's nothing wrong with that, and as a matter of fact, it is VERY possible for someone to be a part of BOTH worlds. Many of us here do that every day. The idea that hoh people aren't "really" deaf or don't have any place in the deaf world is a HEARING idea! Oh, and did you know that we dhh people even thou we may have some residual hearing, don't hear like hearing people with our hearing aids and CIs! Even I don't, and I have a conductive loss (I "hear" through bone conduction)
Tousi, I know it's annoying seeing all the rants from uneducated folks....but I think that my generation of dhh kids might be more accepting of CIs. Yeah, there will always be people who condemn them....but I think there has been a lot of progress in acceptance of the CI just in the past few years. Hey...I mean when you were little, weren't hearing aids considered "evil?" And there are still quite a few Deafies who are still anti- hearing aids! (and a lot of Deafies wear hearing aids any way!)

Deafdyke, I am 61(but going on 47)and, no, hearing aids were very much accepted when I was little, little meaning at 5 or 6 yrs of age which is a half century ago, right? Who knows, tho? I just don't recall, at all, being ridiculed for that or anything else. By the way, now that I've gotten your attention, I need to tell you I'm a guy. If your'e wondering why I'm saying this, try to remember that in another post a few months ago, you got miffed enough at something I said, you replied, "Tousi, who pulled the string on your tampon!?" LOL You have a good Sunday, hear!

Most of my deaf friends have CIs. Two of them, twins, were born deaf and could not hear anything until they were 8. Now they've been doing well with the CIs, and wear the one that looks like a hearing aid. One of my deaf friends got the cochlear implant when he was 10 (born without cochlea) and it caused nerve damage to the left of his face. They had setbacks. My friends with CI were teased by their deaf and hearing peers, because of their language after starting up the CIs. Now they don't get teased, I'm sure they do, but some of their peers accepted them.

I am neutral for the cochlear implants. I believe that it's not for everyone. I had wanted one when I was younger, because my hearing was worst (profound) but after knowing about my friend's damage to his face and other things, my parents and I backed out of it. I want to keep some of my residual hearing and wear a digitar hearing aid instead.

PurpleRose71 said:
Yeah, same here -- I did try to ignore her and her posts, but as of late, she's annoying everyone, I'm pretty sure. :roll:
Shouldn't be critising like that -- it's fine if she gave us her own opinion, but not TELL us what to do. Gee whiz. Get a life, Margie!

Truth be told...

She annoyed me, and the subject doesn't really affect ME directly! lololol I just DO NOT like it when people try to tell others what is best for them when they don't even know that person or the situation they are dealing with! I also believe wholeheartedly in choice unless we're talking about small children who aren't old enough to have opinions for themselves yet. And, then, I believe someone said there's only special instances where the CI will benefit a very young child? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though! :)

Anyway, I've said what I needed to say... No use in beating it to death. I just get really aggravated when I see someone being narrow minded.

**Stepping off soapbox now** LOL

Good day, everyone. :)

ideafspy said:
I know a person who had a deaf child even had deaf mother. The mother told kid's mother not to give the son a cochlear implant. Mother tries to explain to kid's mother that can't tell if he is able wear or not wear the cochlear implant. Due the deaf family history root from mother's side family. However; kid's mother decide to get son a cochlear implant. The mother upset and let wait to see when he is growing up. Today, he is 8 years old and total hate his own mother and want move to grandma

I don't blame this child here, I do know that Ci will help alot more when the child is in their youngest age, but however some parents are not thinking if this is what the child really want, but only think what would be best for them....they have to remember that Ci is not something that can be removed if the child grows up and don't wear them or don't like them anymore.....that why I think its important that children should be into this too and should be the one to make that choice not the parents alone....

btw Thank you for sharing this story! :)

Last edited:
Tousi, but I have heard (no pun intendened) that hearing aids weren't really accepted when they first were widely popularized....which would have been the '20's/ 30's....and actually they got REALLY popular when the vets of WWII came home. (which is around the time when you were little)
Maybe they were accepted in different places....I know for example, that acceptance of CIs varies tremendously across the US.
Or maybe you weren't really attuned to what older Deaf adults and leaders thought back then. Did you grow up in a DODA household? Were you regularly exposed to Deaf leaders? Maybe you were the first wave of kids for whom the hearing aid was a fact of life....
I know you're a man....I was speaking in generalities.

Back