I have a question for a decision

I do have to say, of the years I've had Snickers, a gal came up to me just last week asking what the purpose is of the dog on campus. I was nearby a classmate outside and I said to the person asking that, of all the times I've been here and out in public, I have never been asked that and have been waiting. I was so ecstatic about it that I was more than happy to oblige her the question and then some. I didn't go overboard, but gave her enough information to make her think outside the box. Hopefully, what I said to her will rub off and we deafs have made an ally.

:ty:! :applause: That is great! Good job! I have had a lot of people in college ask me basic questions about being HoH, ASL, HAs, etc. A lot of them tell me that they were scared to ask because they thought I might be offended. Giving them a friendly answer (even when the question is a bit silly) is I think the best way to build understanding and make allies. And one of those persons is now my boyfriend. :giggle:

:ty:! :applause: That is great! Good job! I have had a lot of people in college ask me basic questions about being HoH, ASL, HAs, etc. A lot of them tell me that they were scared to ask because they thought I might be offended. Giving them a friendly answer (even when the question is a bit silly) is I think the best way to build understanding and make allies. And one of those persons is now my boyfriend. :giggle:

That giggle, Kaitin, tells me there are wedding bells in your future, girl! :fingersx: :thumb: I would never be offended, so long as they don't step on Snickers, of which I have seen people do to test and see what I'd say. One of them did it about ten minutes ago in a computer lab and she saw her laying there when retrieving printouts, came back to her computer and stepped on her. I just give a sideways look and comfort my dog. No words, I believe, are necessary when that happens, as they already proved to themselves and others what they're like. It's too bad and maybe it is unintentional, but it is unfortunate. Reminds me of my brother, as one time he grabbed my ears to check if I had my aids on. :roll:

Hey, Pek1...have u made a decision yet? :)

Pete,

Do what you think it is best for you. You also can look at another colleges too than just two colleges that you have been considering to... Just want to let you know that there are many choices out there. :) I wish you the best of luck! :)

That giggle, Kaitin, tells me there are wedding bells in your future, girl! :fingersx: :thumb:

Not yet! He wants to get married after I graduate from college next year, but I want to wait. I am thinking of graduate or professional school and don't want to be married when I am in school! :)

I would never be offended, so long as they don't step on Snickers, of which I have seen people do to test and see what I'd say. One of them did it about ten minutes ago in a computer lab and she saw her laying there when retrieving printouts, came back to her computer and stepped on her. I just give a sideways look and comfort my dog. No words, I believe, are necessary when that happens, as they already proved to themselves and others what they're like. It's too bad and maybe it is unintentional, but it is unfortunate.

A person stepped on your dog ON PURPOSE to see what you would say??? :eek2::mad: That is horrible! Poor Snickers!

Reminds me of my brother, as one time he grabbed my ears to check if I had my aids on. :roll:

Yes, I have a brother who did that many times when I was a girl. He stopped when my other brother knocked him down. You needed another brother! :dance:

Actually, Kaitin, that brother now wears hearing aids. Can you believe it? He is more of a mild hearing loss than anything. Our dad has worn them since the mid 1990s.

Pete,

Do what you think it is best for you. You also can look at another colleges too than just two colleges that you have been considering to... Just want to let you know that there are many choices out there. :) I wish you the best of luck! :)

Thanks, MetroGuy! Yeah, I know there are many choices out there, but am looking at those where I'd have someone to talk to, as no one speaks to me much, if at all, here. I attended this university before but it was never this bad. I do get accomodations in class, that's not the issue. I just want to be with people that are like me.

Hey, Pek1...have u made a decision yet? :)

Sorry for not responding sooner, as I've been busy with school work, you know how it goes.

I'm still waiting for the info from Gally to arrive. I went back to their website and filled out the information again and also sent an email concerning this.

I'll be updating my blog tonight and put some new thoughts up.

Wow you are on the way to Gally. Good luck and u will meet so many interest people there.

Sorry for not responding sooner, as I've been busy with school work, you know how it goes.

I'm still waiting for the info from Gally to arrive. I went back to their website and filled out the information again and also sent an email concerning this.

I'll be updating my blog tonight and put some new thoughts up.

See there, Pete.....you had the answer yourself all the time! You jsut needed to bounce it off us so you could see it! Good job, my man!

Actually, Kaitin, that brother now wears hearing aids. Can you believe it? He is more of a mild hearing loss than anything. Our dad has worn them since the mid 1990s.

Justice! :h5:

Pek1 - as you might know that I am not from the US. I am from the same country as Kangaroo.. Australia of course, but I have been to gally during my holiday trip. Gally is a fantastic place. Gally is the one for you, if you would like to improve more on ASL. Go for it, Pete! ;) I would like to attend Gally as in studying one day in the future too.

Thanks, MetroGuy! Yeah, I know there are many choices out there, but am looking at those where I'd have someone to talk to, as no one speaks to me much, if at all, here. I attended this university before but it was never this bad. I do get accomodations in class, that's not the issue. I just want to be with people that are like me.

That is totally understandable. Good luck with your decision! :)

Pek1 - as you might know that I am not from the US. I am from the same country as Kangaroo.. Australia of course, but I have been to gally during my holiday trip. Gally is a fantastic place. Gally is the one for you, if you would like to improve more on ASL. Go for it, Pete! ;) I would like to attend Gally as in studying one day in the future too.

Well, mate, you're gonna have to look me up when you get here, huh? We're gonna have to go out with some of the people here from ad and paint the town. Hopefully, we can all chip in for a limo. Cool . . . all deaf people being chauffered around in a limo. See someone from Congress and take them along for a joyride! By the time we drop them off, they're ready to do some very serious legislating for us. Hey, jillio, would that be a good idea or what? Or should we just get them drunk instead? :giggle:

A few years ago, my brother and his wife attended a dinner party at the wife's work at a restaurant. My brother had taken out his hearing aids and set them on the table after dinner and the plates were cleared off. Well, the waitress came around and took all the china and, somehow (don't ask me how) my brother's hearing aids were put in a napkin and stuffed into his coffee cup. Hearing aids and coffee don't mix. From what I understand, he did dry them out and they worked, but he hasn't done it since. (Or, I don't know if they worked or if the restaurant replaced them, as he never said). I never, ever take my hearing aids out in public. Yes, even I lectured him for doing that, as his wife chewed him out before I did.

Back